Big Rock Crew Cab – Initial Upgrades and road to 4S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skt07

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
I got my BRCC at the beginning of May and have been having a blast driving it and making changes to it with my daughter. Below is a list of what we’ve done so far and my assessment of the change.

Note that I’m in Canada, so parts availability is not great, especially right now during COVID, and usually involves ordering online and waiting quite a while for it to arrive. So that has definitely affected some of my part choices.

In the end, it probably would have been cheaper to buy a 4S or 6S truck to begin with, but I liked the style and size of the Big Rock (and it was all that was in stock locally at the time). It’s also been fun researching parts and making the upgrades.

Transmitter and Receiver – Flysky GT5 and BS6 receiver
- Purchased from Amazon
- 5/5 MUST DO
The STX2 is not good. Whether it’s with the Flysky or another transmitter, the stock STX2 should be replaced. The car is so much more responsive and I feel in control. The SVC (gyro) does work, but still trying to figure out the settings. Only thing I miss with the Flysky is the 50/75/100 switch on the STX2 for my daughter. I can set the throttle end point lower, but it’s not as easy. The Flysky is a bit fiddly with the dial.

Servo – DS3225MG
- Purchased from Amazon
- 4/5 WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
Steering seems a bit more precise with the new servo, even before I upgraded the transmitter. Wheels return to centre and turn more quickly. Also a digital servo is recommended (required?) to use the SVC function of the Flysky BS6 receiver.
Installation notes: I originally kept the stock servo saver and installed it on the DS3225MG. The stock servo saver was pretty stuck on the servo and I had to use a hair dryer to heat it up to remove it. Maybe there was some Loctite or something keeping it on.

IMG_4795.JPG

Servo Saver – Kimborough 124
- Purchased from Amazon
- 3/5 MAYBE IT’S DOING SOMETHING?
I guess I’m not really sure what I’m looking for in terms of change, but it seems about the same vs. the stock servo saver.
Installation notes: I reused the stock screw to attach the Kimborough to the servo. Used some garden snips to trim the “ears” down and a 1/8” drill bit (I think) to widen the hole enough to attach the servo link. I used a slightly longer M3 screw and a 3mm nut to attach the servo link.

Front and Rear A Arms – Stock Typhon 3S Arms and Turnbuckles
- Purchased from Jennys RC
- 4.5/5 VERY WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
If you’re looking to reduce rollovers and want to be able to take turns faster, this is a great upgrade. Also nice that it retains the stock 14mm wheel hexes, so I’m still able to use the stock wheels if I want. The longer arms might lead to more breakage when jumping etc.

IMG_4695.JPG

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4692.JPG

Tires and Rims – Pro-Line Badlands MX28 with Raid 6x30 wheels and 6x30 14mm hex adapters
- Purchased from Zone Hobbies
- 4/5 WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
Great tires. Seem to be about 25% wider than the stock Ragnaroks (maybe more, I haven’t measured). They grip well and add additional stability. These tires plus the Typhon arms has greatly reduced rollovers and increased the speed at which I can take turns. They are definitely heavier than the stock tires, so the extra length of the Typhon arms plus the heavier wheels, could lead to more breakage, especially when jumping. The extra weight does seem to add additional on the ground stability, so it’s a tradeoff.

IMG_4691.JPG

Shocks – Hot Racing Shock Bodies (ATF155AF08)
- 4/5 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (if the stock shocks are leaking, which they probably are)
Whether you replace with these Hot Racing bodies or something else, the leaky stock shocks should be replaced. When I took the stock shocks apart they were less than a quarter full with fluid and most of that fluid did not look like silicone shock oil (very runny and dirty). These Hot Racing shock bodies seem well made and have not leaked so far, but if the stock shocks did not leak, I can’t say that these Hot Racing shocks actually perform any better. So really this is just fixing something that was poorly designed vs. an upgrade in performance.
Installation notes: You need to reuse the springs and metal rod and lower A arm connector from the stock shocks. Putting them together is a little finicky. Pay close attention to the installation picture when assembling to save some grief. I upped the weight of oil from the stock 42.5 to 50. It’s hard to compare, as I think the stock shocks leaked very early on, so I don’t really know how the stock fluid weight performs. 50 weight was all I had. I feel like I'm bouncing more on landings now, not sure if it's related. Will try out a lower weight when it arrives.

IMG_4687.JPG

aluminum-threaded-front-bleeder-shock-bodies-arrma-1-10-4x4.jpg

Bumpers and Skid Plate – T-Bone Wheelie Bar, XV6 Front Bumper and Chassis Skid Plate
- Purchased directly from T-Bone
- 2.5/5 MEH
My stock wheelie bar cracked, so I ordered up a full set from T-Bone. This is really a tale of opposites. I like the design of the front bumper and it works better than stock and seems really tough, but something is off a bit in the design and it’s very hard to install. I had to heat and stretch the skid plate quite a bit to make it fit. The wheelie bar was easy to install and fit was great, but it kind of sucks as a wheelie bar. Whereas the stock wheelie bar never really allowed the Big Rock to wheelie so far that it would flip over, if I give full throttle off the line, the T-Bone allows the truck to flip over every time. I actually kind of hate the T-Bone wheelie bar, and much prefer the stock one, but the stock one is broken. Chassis skid plate is annoying AF to put on and adds an extra step when taking things apart. It seems to offer decent protection, but the added weight plus the annoyance probably means I’m not going to reinstall it the next time I remove it. Plus dirt gets trapped between the skid plate and the chassis.
Installation notes: As mentioned, front bumper is hard to install. Dimensions are off slightly. The annoyance/benefit ratio of the chassis skid plate is skewing towards annoyance.

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

Motor Fan – Yeah Racing Tornado 30mm Fan
- Purchased from Amazon
I didn’t have any motor overheating issues prior to getting the fan, but I think it will be useful with the 4S motor.
Installation notes: I added some little rubber o-rings I had laying around on the screws, as there was a lot of vibration noise with the metal-on-metal when the fan was installed directly on top of the heat sink.

IMG_4689.JPG

Body – Clear Gorilla Tape and Foam
- 3/5 I THINK IT’S HELPING
I read lots of posts about the shock tower punching holes through the corners of the truck bed, so I put some foam in that area. The foam is all torn up, which means it's doing the job of protecting the body I guess. I also added some clear Gorilla tape all around the body to provide some reinforcement. So far, the body is holding up well. No cracks or punctures. Just road rash from flipping over and skidding along the road (which is happening much more often ever since the T-Bone “wheelie” bar was installed).

IMG_4791.JPG

What’s Next
Currently, the Big Rock is on the shelf awaiting a replacement steering block that broke after one too many backyard backflips. I wonder if it's related to the longer Typhon arms and heavier Badlands. I have ordered the stock part, as well as the aluminum Hot Racing steering block. Will install whatever arrives first and see how long it takes to break again. I also just picked up the Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Bellcrank (ATF4801). Also waiting for a bearing kit and the Hot Racing aluminum pivot ball set to arrive.

IMG_4797.JPG

Bigger projects for the summer are painting a clear body and upgrading to 4S. My daughter picked the paint colors and theme so it’s going to be a unique look for sure.

For the 4S upgrade, I ordered the motor and slipper clutch assembly from a 4S Outcast/Kraton from Jennys RC. Also ordered a 20t 0.8Mod pinion to see what happens in combination with the 4S motor.

Still need to get an upgraded ESC and not sure whether to cheap out with a BLX120 or get something like a Hobby Wing Max 8, which would allow another motor upgrade down the road (6S???). I’ll also probably order the CVD slider set (#AR310870) to handle the extra power.

Will keep this thread updated as more parts arrive and changes are made!

Attachments

• IMG_4795.JPG
    IMG_4795.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4687.JPG
    IMG_4687.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 59
Nice set up so far. Good to hear you are not running into overheating issues with the larger tires on the 3200. Maybe I missed it but what esc are you going with? The blx 120?

Nice set up so far. Good to hear you are not running into overheating issues with the larger tires on the 3200. Maybe I missed it but what esc are you going with? The blx 120?

ESC is TBD.

Right now, I'm torn between the BLX 120 for simplicity and price, but am also considering a Hobby Wing Max 8 to allow for future upgrades to the motor and batteries beyond 4S.

I'm open to suggestions!

Nice build so far! And great write up! I'll be following this as this as things progress! ?

I have essentially done the same as you. I bought my 3s Senton (shares 90% of the parts with your BRCC) the beginning of May, drove it stock for a couple weeks, then my 3 yr old son and I started nodding it. He loves working on the truck and gets SUPER excited when parts arrive at our door. We are also in Canada, so can relate to the parts issue.

As of yesterday, our 3s Senton was officially "kratonized". We added the 4s Kraton suspension arms and wheel hubs, 17mm hex wheels, chassis brace, wing and wheelie bar, fr/rr bumpers, and side shields. We are running the same servo and servo saver as you also. I picked up a 6s 2050 kv motor off jennysrc and a Nero BLX200 from a member in the classifieds on this forum. Still waiting on that to arrive.

I also went the gorilla tape route for the body as the shock towers were punching through the body. For running in my yard, I've found the 30 wt shock oil to be good in the Senton, however I went with the 50 wt this time around to see how it compares and because I've added a significant amount t of weight to the truck with the mods. I have the ZD racing shocks coming but they wont be here until end of june. In the mean time, I used an old credit card and made my own plastic washers to put under the cap inside the shock to help tighten the o-ring on the shaft and it has worked surprisingly well. No a single leak thus far and it's been a couple weeks now! ? They were leaking SO bad prior to that I was having to refill them every couple of days.

And to offer my .02 on the ESC...I'd go with the Hobby wing...gives you a lot more adjustability for future upgrades and will help lower motor temps on existing setup. You'll pay a little more upfront but will get a lot more flexibility from it. Again, just my opinion...

Attachments

• 20200603_074902.jpg
    20200603_074902.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20200603_124940.jpg
    20200603_124940.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200603_140849.jpg
    20200603_140849.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200603_140910.jpg
    20200603_140910.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20200601_132813.jpg
    20200601_132813.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200601_133044.jpg
    20200601_133044.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 64
Is it me or are the front tires wider than the rear?

I think it's just my wonky camera angle, and maybe the toe in on the rear wheels make it look that way. Same width front and back.
Nice build so far! And great write up! I'll be following this as this as things progress! ?

I have essentially done the same as you. I bought my 3s Senton (shares 90% of the parts with your BRCC) the beginning of May, drove it stock for a couple weeks, then my 3 yr old son and I started nodding it. He loves working on the truck and gets SUPER excited when parts arrive at our door. We are also in Canada, so can relate to the parts issue.

As of yesterday, our 3s Senton was officially "kratonized". We added the 4s Kraton suspension arms and wheel hubs, 17mm hex wheels, chassis brace, wing and wheelie bar, fr/rr bumpers, and side shields. We are running the same servo and servo saver as you also. I picked up a 6s 2050 kv motor off jennysrc and a Nero BLX200 from a member in the classifieds on this forum. Still waiting on that to arrive.

I also went the gorilla tape route for the body as the shock towers were punching through the body. For running in my yard, I've found the 30 wt shock oil to be good in the Senton, however I went with the 50 wt this time around to see how it compares and because I've added a significant amount t of weight to the truck with the mods. I have the ZD racing shocks coming but they wont be here until end of june. In the mean time, I used an old credit card and made my own plastic washers to put under the cap inside the shock to help tighten the o-ring on the shaft and it has worked surprisingly well. No a single leak thus far and it's been a couple weeks now! ? They were leaking SO bad prior to that I was having to refill them every couple of days.

And to offer my .02 on the ESC...I'd go with the Hobby wing...gives you a lot more adjustability for future upgrades and will help lower motor temps on existing setup. You'll pay a little more upfront but will get a lot more flexibility from it. Again, just my opinion...

Nice! Looks like we're on the same journey! Good advice on getting a better ESC. I'm not thrilled with the BLX100, so not super excited about just getting a slightly upgraded version in the form of the BLX120. I was leaning toward the Max 8 and this is a good push.

I think it's just my wonky camera angle, and maybe the toe in on the rear wheels make it look that way. Same width front and back.

Nice! Looks like we're on the same journey! Good advice on getting a better ESC. I'm not thrilled with the BLX100, so not super excited about just getting a slightly upgraded version in the form of the BLX120. I was leaning toward the Max 8 and this is a good push.
I’m a big guy for the hobbywing stuff but a mamba x would be a great choice

I’m a big guy for the hobbywing stuff but a mamba x would be a great choice

Yeah I was also looking at the Mamba X and it looks great! The one thing that I was slightly hesitant on was that I don't have a soldering iron and haven't soldered since high school. It looks like I would need to solder in the battery plugs. It's not really a huge deal, but I wasn't sure how much soldering I would be doing beyond that so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. The Max 8 comes with T plugs...

Yeah I was also looking at the Mamba X and it looks great! The one thing that I was slightly hesitant on was that I don't have a soldering iron and haven't soldered since high school. It looks like I would need to solder in the battery plugs. It's not really a huge deal, but I wasn't sure how much soldering I would be doing beyond that so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. The Max 8 comes with T plugs...
The hobbywing stuff from most places doesn’t come with connectors
Get a hakko soldering station and get going!

Sigh... ok will do! lol keep getting sucked farther and farther down the rabbit hole.

Feels like there is no bottom to this hole doesn't it...if you wanna feel better have a look at the media pics of @Overpowerrc 's rig in his profile pic...Jesus! That thing is a crazy awesome rig...and not cheap I suspect...makes me feel better about all the $$ I've spent in the last month ?

That nitro truck he has there is pretty damn cool too! ?

Feels like there is no bottom to this hole doesn't it...if you wanna feel better have a look at the media pics of @Overpowerrc 's rig in his profile pic...Jesus! That thing is a crazy awesome rig...and not cheap I suspect...makes me feel better about all the $$ I've spent in the last month ?

That nitro truck he has there is pretty damn cool too! ?
It’s not nitro? At least not The x-maxx Send me which one you are looking at

It’s not nitro? At least not The x-maxx Send me which one you are looking at

My mistake. Must have been someone else's I was looking at. don't see it there now. Looked like one of the trucks from the nascar series...anyways, it looked cool...but not as cool as that x-Maxx of yours...Love the raptor body too ?

I got my BRCC at the beginning of May and have been having a blast driving it and making changes to it with my daughter. Below is a list of what we’ve done so far and my assessment of the change.

Note that I’m in Canada, so parts availability is not great, especially right now during COVID, and usually involves ordering online and waiting quite a while for it to arrive. So that has definitely affected some of my part choices.

In the end, it probably would have been cheaper to buy a 4S or 6S truck to begin with, but I liked the style and size of the Big Rock (and it was all that was in stock locally at the time). It’s also been fun researching parts and making the upgrades.

Transmitter and Receiver – Flysky GT5 and BS6 receiver
- Purchased from Amazon
- 5/5 MUST DO
The STX2 is not good. Whether it’s with the Flysky or another transmitter, the stock STX2 should be replaced. The car is so much more responsive and I feel in control. The SVC (gyro) does work, but still trying to figure out the settings. Only thing I miss with the Flysky is the 50/75/100 switch on the STX2 for my daughter. I can set the throttle end point lower, but it’s not as easy. The Flysky is a bit fiddly with the dial.

Servo – DS3225MG
- Purchased from Amazon
- 4/5 WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
Steering seems a bit more precise with the new servo, even before I upgraded the transmitter. Wheels return to centre and turn more quickly. Also a digital servo is recommended (required?) to use the SVC function of the Flysky BS6 receiver.
Installation notes: I originally kept the stock servo saver and installed it on the DS3225MG. The stock servo saver was pretty stuck on the servo and I had to use a hair dryer to heat it up to remove it. Maybe there was some Loctite or something keeping it on.

View attachment 84045

Servo Saver – Kimborough 124
- Purchased from Amazon
I guess I’m not really sure what I’m looking for in terms of change, but it seems about the same vs. the stock servo saver.
Installation notes: I reused the stock screw to attach the Kimborough to the servo. Used some garden snips to trim the “ears” down and a 1/8” drill bit (I think) to widen the hole enough to attach the servo link. I used a slightly longer M3 screw and a 3mm nut to attach the servo link.

Front and Rear A Arms – Stock Typhon 3S Arms and Turnbuckles
- Purchased from Jennys RC
- 4.5/5 VERY WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
If you’re looking to reduce rollovers and want to be able to take turns faster, this is a great upgrade. Also nice that it retains the stock 14mm wheel hexes, so I’m still able to use the stock wheels if I want. The longer arms might lead to more breakage when jumping etc.

View attachment 84046

View attachment 84047

View attachment 84048

Tires and Rims – Pro-Line Badlands MX28 with Raid 6x30 wheels and 6x30 14mm hex adapters
- 4/5 WORTHWHILE UPGRADE
Great tires. Seem to be about 25% wider than the stock Ragnaroks (maybe more, I haven’t measured). They grip well and add additional stability. These tires plus the Typhon arms has greatly reduced rollovers and increased the speed at which I can take turns. They are definitely heavier than the stock tires, so the extra length of the Typhon arms plus the heavier wheels, could lead to more breakage, especially when jumping. The extra weight does seem to add additional on the ground stability, so it’s a tradeoff.

View attachment 84049

Shocks – Hot Racing Shock Bodies (ATF155AF08)
- 4/5 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (if the stock shocks are leaking, which they probably are)
Whether you replace with these Hot Racing bodies or something else, the leaky stock shocks should be replaced. When I took the stock shocks apart they were less than a quarter full with fluid and most of that fluid did not look like silicone shock oil (very runny and dirty). These Hot Racing shock bodies seem well made and have not leaked so far, but if the stock shocks did not leak, I can’t say that these Hot Racing shocks actually perform any better. So really this is just fixing something that was poorly designed vs. an upgrade in performance.
Installation notes: You need to reuse the springs and metal rod and lower A arm connector from the stock shocks. Putting them together is a little finicky. Pay close attention to the installation picture when assembling to save some grief. I upped the weight of oil from the stock 42.5 to 50. It’s hard to compare, as I think the stock shocks leaked very early on, so I don’t really know how the stock fluid weight performs. 50 weight was all I had. I feel like I'm bouncing more on landings now, not sure if it's related. Will try out a lower weight when it arrives.

View attachment 84050

View attachment 84056

Bumpers and Skid Plate – T-Bone Wheelie Bar, XV6 Front Bumper and Chassis Skid Plate
- Purchased directly from T-Bone
- 2.5/5 MEH
My stock wheelie bar cracked, so I ordered up a full set from T-Bone. This is really a tale of opposites. I like the design of the front bumper and it works better than stock and seems really tough, but something is off a bit in the design and it’s very hard to install. I had to heat and stretch the skid plate quite a bit to make it fit. The wheelie bar was easy to install and fit was great, but it kind of sucks as a wheelie bar. Whereas the stock wheelie bar never really allowed the Big Rock to wheelie so far that it would flip over, if I give full throttle off the line, the T-Bone allows the truck to flip over every time. I actually kind of hate the T-Bone wheelie bar, and much prefer the stock one, but the stock one is broken. Chassis skid plate is annoying AF to put on and adds an extra step when taking things apart. It seems to offer decent protection, but the added weight plus the annoyance probably means I’m not going to reinstall it the next time I remove it. Plus dirt gets trapped between the skid plate and the chassis.
Installation notes: As mentioned, front bumper is hard to install. Dimensions are off slightly. The annoyance/benefit ratio of the chassis skid plate is skewing towards annoyance.

View attachment 84052

View attachment 84053

View attachment 84054

Motor Fan – Yeah Racing Tornado 30mm Fan
- Purchased from Amazon
I didn’t have any motor overheating issues prior to getting the fan, but I think it will be useful with the 4S motor.
Installation notes: I added some little rubber o-rings I had laying around on the screws, as there was a lot of vibration noise with the metal-on-metal when the fan was installed directly on top of the heat sink.

View attachment 84060

Body – Clear Gorilla Tape and Foam
- 3/5 I THINK IT’S HELPING
I read lots of posts about the shock tower punching holes through the corners of the truck bed, so I put some foam in that area. The foam is all torn up, which means it's doing the job of protecting the body I guess. I also added some clear Gorilla tape all around the body to provide some reinforcement. So far, the body is holding up well. No cracks or punctures. Just road rash from flipping over and skidding along the road (which is happening much more often ever since the T-Bone “wheelie” bar was installed).

View attachment 84058

What’s Next
Currently, the Big Rock is on the shelf awaiting a replacement steering block that broke after one too many backyard backflips. I wonder if it's related to the longer Typhon arms and heavier Badlands. I have ordered the stock part, as well as the aluminum Hot Racing steering block. Will install whatever arrives first and see how long it takes to break again. I also just picked up the Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Bellcrank (ATF4801). Also waiting for a bearing kit and the Hot Racing aluminum pivot ball set to arrive.

View attachment 84059

Bigger projects for the summer are painting a clear body and upgrading to 4S. My daughter picked the paint colors and theme so it’s going to be a unique look for sure.

For the 4S upgrade, I ordered the motor and slipper clutch assembly from a 4S Outcast/Kraton from Jennys RC. Also ordered a 20t 0.8Mod pinion to see what happens in combination with the 4S motor.

Still need to get an upgraded ESC and not sure whether to cheap out with a BLX120 or get something like a Hobby Wing Max 8, which would allow another motor upgrade down the road (6S???). I’ll also probably order the CVD slider set (#AR310870) to handle the extra power.

Will keep this thread updated as more parts arrive and changes are made!
very nice edited post ?

You have two tires backwards btw. ??‍♂️✌?

Good catch...I didnt even notice. I stuck them on there rather hastily yesterday while chasing the kids around the house but truth be told I probably wouldn't haven't noticed until the next time I took em off. Sad part is, I knew they were directional. The lesson here, don't do things in a hurry! Thanks man ?On the brightside...you caught it before I had a chance to run it...cant do that till the new esc arrives...whe ever the heck that is...supposed to be here May 29 ?

Live update - Just ordered a BLX185 ESC from Jennys RC. Kind of splits the difference between the BLX120 and a Max 8 or Mamba X. Should be more than enough for the 4S motor. And no need to buy a soldering kit... for now.

Question - I don't have any 4S batteries - just a bunch of 3S. The BLX185 ESC can obviously handle 6S power. But will the BLX 3668 2400Kv motor from the 4S Kraton/Outcast blow up if I use 2 x 3S packs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back