Big Rock Big Rock V3 build- "Big Rock Van"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
I bought a Big Rock CC V3 last week after looking at monster trucks for way too long. It took me about 45 minutes to shear an A-arm off, so while it was down waiting for parts I decided to get to work installing a Proline Rock Van body. Simple, right? I apologize in advance I did not take many pictures along the way, so this first post is a bit of a catch-up to current state.

I went in only with wheelbase measurements for each, and eyeballing the body at the hobby shop, thinking "Yeah, that oughta fit between the tires..."

For mounting the body, I spotted some Proline body mount kits at my LHS for 2wd and 4wd slash so I bought them without much of a plan. I ended up bolting one mount through the rear shock towers (I need to get a longer bolt so I can run it all the way through and add a nut). I may regret this later if the shock tower breaks, but theoretically running a bolt straight through the middle shouldn't have a huge effect on strength since there's a neutral axis in there somewhere On the front, I needed additional clearance and to move the mounts back to reach the room. I bolted a mount onto the stock rear mount (more reach than the front), then bolted a shorter body post on to get the height and position I needed.

I positioned the body based on the existing wheel arches with a preliminary cut to the factory flare, then some additional cuts needed for tire clearance. I will likely need to cut a little additional clearance on the front for full compression at max lock, any more trimming I'll do after paint and I have a chance to run it. My general strategy with the clearance cuts is "as little as possible, as much as necessary".

Unfortunately, the body overhung the front back and sides so much that the first time this thing took a tumble it would be ripped right off. That's still a distinct possibility, but I looked at the Senton bumpers and thought "Yeah, that oughta fit, and maybe the nerf bars, too". Other than needed the Senton skid plates to attach the fit pretty well. I used the rear without modification, on the front I accidentally ordered 2 sets of bumpers, and ended up chopping up one front and one rear and bolting them together to make a bull-bar style bumper. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, hopefully it doesn't explode the first time I hit something.

The Senton nerf bars and splash guard fit nicely inside the body, there's a slight flare at the bottom, but it's a non-issue, and mostly just means the body is well protected at the bottom.

After getting everything mocked up, it left the chassis and electronics pretty exposed to mud/grass/rocks and I wanted to protect them. I ended up chopping the stock body way down to fit against the Senton components, and the steering guard I fashioned from the stock tail gate. I cut some slots in the side of the chassis cover and used a couple of the extra Proline mounting studs on the side to secure it. I like that I don't have to remove the knobs completely, I just loosen 2 and the cover slides off.

Paint: Currently planning on a Mystery Machine livery, but am still not completely decided.

Future plans: I want to put belted tires on with wheels that look a little cooler, but I'll need to make sure I get the width and offset dialed because there is no extra clearance between the tires and body. I'd also like to do some additional suspension upgrades, I'm thinking shocks first, then maybe steering components, but no firm plans yet. My goal is to have something I can have fun driving and looks good on the shelf, with an emphasis on durability and serviceability for any chassis upgrades.

Current state:
1614969897812.png

How it sits from the side
1614969909411.png

No body or cover, expertly installed custom body mounts:
1614969929824.png

Stock body chopped down, note slots for the nerf bars and the mounting stud in front of the rear tire:
1614969953365.png

Front Bumper:
1614969979859.png

Rear bumper:
1614969990527.png

Mockup of planned paint scheme:
1614970077739.png

This is awesome. It makes me sad that vehicle body options aren't more widely available. It seems like there is a good market for body options.

I would love to replace the crew cab body on my Big Rock since I think it's boring but I don't have much of an inclination to mess with hacking a solution together or painting a clear body.

Thanks! My backup plan if this totally fails is to go with a different SC body, there are a number of bodies that are lower profile and should fit ok with the Senton bumpers, stock body mounts, and trimming of the wheel wells.

That is VERY cool! Wish I could put that on my Granite BLX! :unsure:

I bought a Big Rock CC V3 last week after looking at monster trucks for way too long. It took me about 45 minutes to shear an A-arm off, so while it was down waiting for parts I decided to get to work installing a Proline Rock Van body. Simple, right? I apologize in advance I did not take many pictures along the way, so this first post is a bit of a catch-up to current state.

I went in only with wheelbase measurements for each, and eyeballing the body at the hobby shop, thinking "Yeah, that oughta fit between the tires..."

For mounting the body, I spotted some Proline body mount kits at my LHS for 2wd and 4wd slash so I bought them without much of a plan. I ended up bolting one mount through the rear shock towers (I need to get a longer bolt so I can run it all the way through and add a nut). I may regret this later if the shock tower breaks, but theoretically running a bolt straight through the middle shouldn't have a huge effect on strength since there's a neutral axis in there somewhere On the front, I needed additional clearance and to move the mounts back to reach the room. I bolted a mount onto the stock rear mount (more reach than the front), then bolted a shorter body post on to get the height and position I needed.

I positioned the body based on the existing wheel arches with a preliminary cut to the factory flare, then some additional cuts needed for tire clearance. I will likely need to cut a little additional clearance on the front for full compression at max lock, any more trimming I'll do after paint and I have a chance to run it. My general strategy with the clearance cuts is "as little as possible, as much as necessary".

Unfortunately, the body overhung the front back and sides so much that the first time this thing took a tumble it would be ripped right off. That's still a distinct possibility, but I looked at the Senton bumpers and thought "Yeah, that oughta fit, and maybe the nerf bars, too". Other than needed the Senton skid plates to attach the fit pretty well. I used the rear without modification, on the front I accidentally ordered 2 sets of bumpers, and ended up chopping up one front and one rear and bolting them together to make a bull-bar style bumper. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, hopefully it doesn't explode the first time I hit something.

The Senton nerf bars and splash guard fit nicely inside the body, there's a slight flare at the bottom, but it's a non-issue, and mostly just means the body is well protected at the bottom.

After getting everything mocked up, it left the chassis and electronics pretty exposed to mud/grass/rocks and I wanted to protect them. I ended up chopping the stock body way down to fit against the Senton components, and the steering guard I fashioned from the stock tail gate. I cut some slots in the side of the chassis cover and used a couple of the extra Proline mounting studs on the side to secure it. I like that I don't have to remove the knobs completely, I just loosen 2 and the cover slides off.

Paint: Currently planning on a Mystery Machine livery, but am still not completely decided.

Future plans: I want to put belted tires on with wheels that look a little cooler, but I'll need to make sure I get the width and offset dialed because there is no extra clearance between the tires and body. I'd also like to do some additional suspension upgrades, I'm thinking shocks first, then maybe steering components, but no firm plans yet. My goal is to have something I can have fun driving and looks good on the shelf, with an emphasis on durability and serviceability for any chassis upgrades.

Current state:
View attachment 130179

How it sits from the side
View attachment 130180

No body or cover, expertly installed custom body mounts:
View attachment 130181

Stock body chopped down, note slots for the nerf bars and the mounting stud in front of the rear tire:
View attachment 130182

Front Bumper:
View attachment 130183

Rear bumper:
View attachment 130184

Mockup of planned paint scheme:
View attachment 130185
Love it! Keep posting pictures as you go along.

Where did you get the shell from? It's pretty cool 😎
My LHS had it in stock, its the Proline Rock Van for 12.3" wheelbase crawlers. The wheelbase is a bit short compared to the BRCC (12.8"), but by the time I trimmed the body for the wheels it looks alright. I always liked the Lunchbox, but wanted something I could really rip around the yard with, so here we are, lol.

I think adding the Senton bumpers and nerf bars really opens up the possibility for bodies, there are a lot of really cool SCT bodies out there. I even think my chopped down BRCC body/chassis cover would fit under most other options.

I just got
My LHS had it in stock, its the Proline Rock Van for 12.3" wheelbase crawlers. The wheelbase is a bit short compared to the BRCC (12.8"), but by the time I trimmed the body for the wheels it looks alright. I always liked the Lunchbox, but wanted something I could really rip around the yard with, so here we are, lol.

I think adding the Senton bumpers and nerf bars really opens up the possibility for bodies, there are a lot of really cool SCT bodies out there. I even think my chopped down BRCC body/chassis cover would fit under most other options.
The proline 72 Chevy on the way. Going to be my first paint job so I hope it turns out alright if not next one will be better... I hope

Haha, I thought it would be fun and my g/f likes it.
There is a Mystery Machine sticker sheet floating around someplace for the Lunchbox, idk how it would look on the Mad Van body though.

I'm new to the forums. They have been amazingly helpful. Post like this one make me realize I'm going to go broke with this hobby. In love with this van. Is it weird if I paint it white and paint "Free candy inside"? Too much? Yeah, I've crossed a line here. Never mind me.

I'm new to the forums. They have been amazingly helpful. Post like this one make me realize I'm going to go broke with this hobby. In love with this van. Is it weird if I paint it white and paint "Free candy inside"? Too much? Yeah, I've crossed a line here. Never mind me.
Like this? :ROFLMAO:
download (4).jpeg

There is a Mystery Machine sticker sheet floating around someplace for the Lunchbox, idk how it would look on the Mad Van body though.
I have a vinyl cutter and Adobe Illustrator so I'm making my own paint masks 😎 I messed up the one long sheet of vinyl I had so I'm waiting on more, I'm hoping to have it painted by this weekend.
I floated this idea... It was not well received, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back