Bill’s Kraton 6s build thread (the Arrma overtime)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
6B04F66D-CE41-4E9E-87AE-7CBB0E2A91AA.jpeg

This thing has sway bars! I got back into RC after many years away. I started back in with a slash 2wd that I upgraded quite a bit until my buddy’s bought 4x4s. So I picked up this V4 new since my slash just couldn’t cut it on the off-road terrain anymore. I’ll update this thread while this journey takes place.

I rebuilt my rear diff today. I had a sun gear pin shear and take out both sun gears (the two larger ones inside the diff). The manual does say to remove inspect and replace the front and rear diff every 20 runs (one run being 5 minutes). So I can’t really fault the kraton. 10k 100k 10k is the stock oils in the V4 manual. One of my sun gears split in pieces forced apart after the pin sheared. The other had a tooth missing, taken out by the pin pieces . I used 20k in my rear rebuild. I have 50k on hand that I’ll put in the front next. I’ll see how it does then with the stock 100k center fluid. I’ll probably go up to 200k or 500k.

its recommended to shim your diffs to mitigate gear breakages:

Thanks I’ve watched a bunch of these. I was up in the air on if to shim the sun gears however decided against it for this diffs first rebuild. One video I watched the maker ended up removing the extra shims he installed because he felt it was too tight. I feel like my shear pin failure That damaged the gear was a result of poor driving really. I’m going to put the stock rear diff Shim setup with 20k fluid to the test and see what happens. Hopefully it’s arrma tough.

Yeh I don’t have the personal experience to say if it’s made a difference yet - I’m only a few months into the hobby and haven’t had too many hard hits.

I trust those guys though ><

Yes. I watched both of Rich’s videos above before I ordered new diff internals. I need to order 200k center diff fluid next. I may buy a complete f/r diff just to have on hand that I can always have built ready to go. Spare parts is a must in this hobby. Some sundays when we get together there’s more tailgate wrenching than we’d like. It’s all part of the fun though.

How to replace lower control arms with rpm arms after you nose dive your kraton V4 6s. After replacing the stock arms with the more flexible rpm ones, I had front axles pop out of the front diff twice. To remedy that I removed the stock washers between the arms and knuckles.

38660F3B-326A-43DB-9C84-2AD9F669EFF8.jpeg

Got around to replacing the stock brass bushing with fast eddy bearings I won through this website. Thanks again. Steering is getting weak. I’m hoping this will help. I know the stock servo isn’t the greatest. If the bearings don’t show a big improvement I’ll be servo shopping.

Any suggestions?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back