BOLT EXTRACTOR TIPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Dylan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
I've had a few stripped bolts on my cars and I can't for the life of me get them out. I've tried two separate extractor kits but the drill bits never seem to work. I just sit there drilling and drilling and it never gets deep enough for the extractor bit to work. What am I doing wrong or does it just take all day to drill one bolt out?

Weird. I’ve never had a problem drilling the screw out… stupid question, are they new bits?
If they are sticking out at all, small vise grips work sometimes or try slitting them with a dremel to use a flat head screwdriver to remove.

I always try to tap a larger torx bit in first. Works most of the time. Heat if needed.

If your drills aren't cutting you need new drills. Hardened screws take a little longer but shouldn't take all day.
Keep drills lubed with oil while drilling to keep cool. Never get a drill hot, you'll kill the temper and dull it out in no time.

Doesn't pay to buy cheap drills.

Depending on the screw and the location u could slice across the head with a Dremel or angle grinder, then remove the screw with a flat head driver…

I always try to tap a larger torx bit in first. Works most of the time. Heat if needed.
^^ This. I bought a cheap set off of Amazon (no longer available) and have always managed to remove them but sometimes I had to go up a size and/or add heat if possible.

Weird. I’ve never had a problem drilling the screw out… stupid question, are they new bits?
If they are sticking out at all, small vise grips work sometimes or try slitting them with a dremel to use a flat head screwdriver to remove.
My first kit was not new but I bought a new type of kit and behold it doesn't drill either. I just sit there for a few minutes drilling and it goes barely anywhere. I don't know if I need to lean on it but every time I try and do that the bit will break.
Depending on the screw and the location u could slice across the head with a Dremel or angle grinder, then remove the screw with a flat head driver…
Yeah. I've read that but it's slightly a sunk-in bolt for the m2c chassis and I'd hate to slice into it. It would be last resort.
^^ This. I bought a cheap set off of Amazon (no longer available) and have always managed to remove them but sometimes I had to go up a size and/or add heat if possible.
I tried the torx bit trick but could get that to work. haven't tried heating the bolt though.

If your drills aren't cutting you need new drills. Hardened screws take a little longer but shouldn't take all day.
Keep drills lubed with oil while drilling to keep cool. Never get a drill hot, you'll kill the temper and dull it out in no time.

Doesn't pay to buy cheap drills.

Or cheap tools, or cheap pinion gears with those cheap grub screws :rolleyes: . Im battling one now!
My fault, it was in and out many times over a year and the grub head is stripped.
Im trying the glue the Hex driver in the head thing but I doubt thats gonna do it.

SO. Recommend me some Good Quality Pinion Gears and Grubs???
Ive bought a few Arrma's and cheap Amazon ones and they all suck!
Im done with them!

I am not sure without seeing, but it sounds like you have work hardened the screw. If this is the case you are dulling any steel drills immediately. You need a #1 carbide center drill. Apply oil and slowly drill past the work hardened surface. Then use a carbide drill to drill out. You might try a left handed drill as well. If you go all out it will break the carbide as well. Or use some of the advice above with dermal.

I am not sure without seeing, but it sounds like you have work hardened the screw. If this is the case you are dulling any steel drills immediately. You need a #1 carbide center drill. Apply oil and slowly drill past the work hardened surface. Then use a carbide drill to drill out. You might try a left handed drill as well. If you go all out it will break the carbide as well. Or use some of the advice above with dermal.
Interesting, so you think the drill speed was too high?

Sounds like it. You should start out slow and ramp up a little once you see progress. Also, high speed drill bits do not work well when heated up. They will dull quickly if no coolant applied ( water mist, oil, ect.). Hope this helps.

Drills tend to "bite more" at lower speeds rather then fast.
Each bit design has a recommended speed. Generally I've found better bits want slower speeds. Atleast in the mechanics world I'm in.

For a pinion grub id find a torx that is JUST to big... heat it up and tap that torx in with a hammer or similar and give it a go...

Thing about screw extractors are that the smaller they are the easier they snap. Your talking a tiny extractor that if it breaks, you will not be able to drill. They harden them even more then drills and its just not gonna happen..

I recommend Tekno pinions.

If it were me and your having no dice, use a Dremel and just cut into the grub until you can just slide it off. Don't cut the motor shaft.

I've had a few stripped bolts on my cars and I can't for the life of me get them out. I've tried two separate extractor kits but the drill bits never seem to work. I just sit there drilling and drilling and it never gets deep enough for the extractor bit to work. What am I doing wrong or does it just take all day to drill one bolt out?
In order to help, we’ll need more info.

1) Bolt material
2) Bolt diameter
3) Bolt location
4) Pics.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back