Outcast Brand New Outcast 4s V2 Plastic Input Gear?! Supposed to be steel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome here and to you're new obsession. Wonder if you got some influencers returned rig. 🤣
Don't worry, HH will get it sorted out after a week or so.
Rest assured, you'll be replacing the steel replacement in 20 or so packs. 😬
Yeah, Ted/Jenny is probably the only person that has purchased a bunch and taken them apart so he’d probably have a better sampling that most others.
It's quite possible their assemblies may have this issue too. They sell them intact in the yoke.

Welcome here and to you're new obsession. Wonder if you got some influencers returned rig. 🤣
Don't worry, HH will get it sorted out after a week or so.
Rest assured, you'll be replacing the steel replacement in 20 or so packs. 😬
Lol. Got plenty of practice on my first one…redcat shredder. Only thing it ever shredded was diffs. 😆
Lol. Got plenty of practice on my first one…redcat shredder. Only thing it ever shredded was diffs. 😆
Got an infraction 6s(love it!), as well. The outcast is my 4th.

Comparing pics on Jenny’s maybe you can tell if the input gears are metal or plastic without opening the casing. By the appearance of the metal spline the driveshaft connects to. Isn’t the plastic gear spline aluminum and the steel gear spline steel as it’s one piece?

85967E36-2BE2-4FDB-87A6-3587839DDA4D.png

B54C6834-03F9-4E84-903E-EC9A94C9FB9D.png

Comparing pics on Jenny’s maybe you can tell if the input gears are metal or plastic without opening the casing. By the appearance of the metal spline the driveshaft connects to. Isn’t the plastic gear spline aluminum and the steel gear spline steel as it’s one piece?

View attachment 237115

View attachment 237116
Yes...I believe so. Couldn't get the second bearing off.

IMG-2382.jpg

UPDATE: So finally heard back just now. And this was the message that took so long to get back to me. This poop is unreal.

HH: An order has been placed, #T985475 for a replacement ARA311072.

And, you should be seeing that in 3-7 days.

Joe P.
Product Support
Tuesday-Saturday 10:30-7:00 CST (lunch 2:30-3:30)
Horizon Hobby LLC

ME: That's it? No sorry for your inconvenience or anything? Wow, what excellent customer service! What if I want to send it back and buy it from another company? So I don't have to deal with this horse poop anymore!?!?

My opinion: Needless to say I am super unimpressed, disappointed and just straight up turned off by this experience. I fully expectd to be able to have some kind of back and forth with this company but they clearly don't give a poop about PAYING customers. BUT..they will send free poop to youtubers all over the planet with the actual correct parts in them. I have been a dj for over 25 years, dealt with equipment companys from different countries, spent 10's of thousands of dollars on lighting, turntables, amplifiers etc etc....and I have NEVER seen a company so willingy take my $500 and say fk off, we'll get to you when we feel like it.
What sucks is I like arrma products so far...minus this incident.

UPDATE: So finally heard back just now. And this was the message that took so long to get back to me. This poop is unreal.

Joe P.
Product Support
Horizon Hobby LLC

ME: That's it? No sorry for your inconvenience or anything? Wow, what excellent customer service! What if I want to send it back and buy it from another company? So I don't have to deal with this horse poop anymore!?!?

My opinion: Needless to say I am super unimpressed, disappointed and just straight up turned off by this experience. I fully expectd to be able to have some kind of back and forth with this company but they clearly don't give a poop about PAYING customers. BUT..they will send free poop to youtubers all over the planet with the actual correct parts in them. I have been a dj for over 25 years, dealt with equipment companys from different countries, spent 10's of thousands of dollars on lighting, turntables, amplifiers etc etc....and I have NEVER seen a company so willingy take my $500 and say fk off, we'll get to you when we feel like it.
I can understand your frustration and this is another bungling in an already bungled launch. For sure HH can be a bit terse with their warranty communication and I have found it typically takes 3 to 5 days to hear back from them. But they are prompt in replacing defective parts once they address your case. And don’t make you jump through hoops sending the original parts back or interrogate you like I have heard the big T does. For sure though this is something that should never have happened in the first place. Manufactured in china vs Taiwan comes with its draw backs.

Joe P.
Product Support
Horizon Hobby LLC

Back and fort for what? They are not going to suck on your nuts and beg for forgiveness. Stuff happens with all manufacturers and no one is perfect. They honored the warranty and got you a new part. Horizon has the BEST warranty.
You can send it back and buy a Traxxas and try the warranty with them and see how that goes. I will promise you that it will not be as pleasant as horizon.

New to rc hobby. Got the new outcast with updated parts. Thing is...they put a plastic input gear in the rear diff. Not good enough to bash yet so all I've done is just play around in the back yard in scalped grass/dirt. Ran in at 75% throttle for 14 minutes. Switched to 100% throttle and instantly heard gears slipping/stripping. Turned it off and tried researching the slipper clutch. But as soon as I started looking closely I noticed the rear diff cogging and acting stripped. Took it apart and found a stripped plastic input gear..WTF!?

Appreciate any advice or suggestions cause like I said I'm new. Grew up working on cars so not a complete moron.

View attachment 237089

View attachment 237090

View attachment 237091

View attachment 237092
WTF...........:mad:
Call HH and ask for all related damaged parts.
They should oblige.
The factory screwed up. Maybe even ran out of Steel gears and just put in a plastic one or 2. Check the front diff also. 4s will destroy any Plastic Input gear in a heartbeat. As you see.
China outsourcing can be very unscroupulous. HH has to own up. And they do. HH knows whats up. Cheap labor to keep the price point low. Cut corners to keep production ongoing. They just want production to keep flowing. And chance that customers won't know if wrong parts were used.
Many owners will never even notice Factory used the plastic gears in their 4s rig. HH gambles on this. Cheaper for HH to just send out the right parts after the sale to the few that will "say something". If no one says anything, things will never change.
Dam steel input gear is $13.00 each :(
HD plastic one is only $8.00
You got robbed.:rolleyes:

HH owns that Flub. No worries. You are not alone.
Every Arrma rig I bought had issues. Some were complete nightmares and usually the pre-released early runs. Some had many stripped screws into the parts. Overtightened. I can go on and on. my V1 early release Lim I needed well over $200. in damaged parts.Including a poorly stamped defective chassis. The worst. Most parts were on B/O for 4 months, being a new release. Didn't drive my Lim for 6 months waiting for parts.
This is why I always dissasemble my new rigs before I run them now. Countless issues I've found in many cases. And I make HH replace damaged or bad parts immediatley. Is what it is.
Make sure to examine the whole rig. Check for more surprises. Hopefully finding none. I like Arrma as a brand. But they fall short in many ways. These are low cost RC rigs for the masses. Most any brand is like this to some extent. Arrma rigs are fine if you go over them personally with your 2 hands. These rigs are mass produced at a very fast pace using cheap China labor. Is what it is. Anything that's made in China.

Last edited:
Back and fort for what? They are not going to suck on your nuts and beg for forgiveness. Stuff happens with all manufacturers and no one is perfect. They honored the warranty and got you a new part. Horizon has the BEST warranty.
You can send it back and buy a Traxxas and try the warranty with them and see how that goes. I will promise you that it will not be as pleasant as horizon.
Was it absolutely necessary to bump this thread just to be a jerk?

Last edited:
Unfortunately the qc on arrma is a little under par.. I'm sure several trucks went out like that..

Really crappy it was something like this that will leave poor folks like you without a rig right out of the gate..

Did you purchase direct from horizon?.. hobby shop?
Not several.....I'm sure that Hundreds of these V2 4s's went out the door with plastic input gears. Let's be real. HH/Arrma China Outsoursing plainly sucks.
SO common that I would call it fraud. Ultimatlely that fault/fraud is on Horizon Hobby.
This is way beyond a Quality Control issue. More like bait and switch, IMHO. HH is betting that the average customer won't have a clue. I think that 50% who own these and other RC's will never even wrench on them when they do fail. They just get tossed to the side like a broken Toy, or they have a LHS repair it.
Not a wonder why the V2, has been halted and probably discontinued for good.

Last edited:
Not several.....I'm sure that Hundreds of these V2 4s's went out the door with plastic input gears. Let's be real. HH/Arrma China Outsoursing plainly sucks.
SO common that I would call it fraud. Ultimatlely that fault/fraud is on Horizon Hobby.
This is way beyond a Quality Control issue. More like bait and switch, IMHO. HH is betting that the average customer won't have a clue. I think that 50% who own these and other RC's will never even wrench on them when they do fail. They just get tossed to the side like a broken Toy, or they have a LHS repair it.
Not a wonder why the V2, has been halted and probably discontinued for good.

The V2s are listed as back in stock again they are not discontinued.

Probably just supply chain HH issues then.
The K4s is still backordered FWIW. Just checked.

Probably just supply chain HH issues then.
The K4s is still backordered FWIW. Just checked.
Last I checked one of the colors was on backorder and the other was still in stock.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back