Kraton Broke another servo.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_Noob

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
So far I have broken the stock server that came with the Kraton 6s V5 RTR, and now broke a Savox SW-1210 SG on sunday doing my beach rc events. Here is a quick clip of the types of jumps im doing on my Kraton:

The stock servo lasted 3 of those types of events, and the Savox one lasted exactly 3 as well. The stock servo is 16 bucks on jennyrc and I paid like $85 for the Savox one. Am I just getting unlucky with the servos? I had a Maxx that I put the upgraded XMAXX servo in there and I went a year and a half with no issues doing those very same jumps and same ramps.

I'm only into the hobby now for about 2 years and was wondering if there is a more durable servo out there? I don't really care about the entire torque strength of it since im all im really doing is dirt and jumping so that isn't the focus.

So far I have broken the stock server that came with the Kraton 6s V5 RTR, and now broke a Savox SW-1210 SG on sunday doing my beach rc events. Here is a quick clip of the types of jumps im doing on my Kraton:

The stock servo lasted 3 of those types of events, and the Savox one lasted exactly 3 as well. The stock servo is 16 bucks on jennyrc and I paid like $85 for the Savox one. Am I just getting unlucky with the servos? I had a Maxx that I put the upgraded XMAXX servo in there and I went a year and a half with no issues doing those very same jumps and same ramps.

I'm only into the hobby now for about 2 years and was wondering if there is a more durable servo out there? I don't really care about the entire torque strength of it since im all im really doing is dirt and jumping so that isn't the focus.
Ds3218pro on amazon. Killed only one. It decided to burn itself one day on my k4s v1.

Imo you have to get lucky with the servos... I use some cheap Amazon/Aliexpress ones (HV, 35 kg) and sometimes they break easily and other times they last years. The big advantage for me is their price; € 25 for a servo, that's cheap in my book...

Imo you have to get lucky with the servos... I use some cheap Amazon/Aliexpress ones (HV, 35 kg) and sometimes they break easily and other times they last years. The big advantage for me is their price; € 25 for a servo, that's cheap in my book...
Speaking to a few people at the event quite a bit of people said the same thing. There was one in particular, the DS3235 35KG that some said was super cheap and what you said about the luck of the draw on the durability. I believe its like 30 bucks on amazon as well.

Speaking to a few people at the event quite a bit of people said the same thing. There was one in particular, the DS3235 35KG that some said was super cheap and what you said about the luck of the draw on the durability. I believe its like 30 bucks on amazon as well.
idont think it pulls near that imo

Thát's the one I'm talking about (y)
idont think it pulls near that imo
It's strong and fast enough... You really don't need that kind of torque. Not when the car is moving.

I run Reefs 500 Raw in most of my rigs and have yet to kill one. They’re pricey, but tons of torque, speed, waterproof, and practically bulletproof. They run about $140.
Also, make sure you’re installing it with the rubber isolators and spacers. If the bottom of the servo is in contact with the chassis, it’ll nuke even the best of servos.

I own this one in my maxx. Works just fine, it’s better than the stock servo, and going strong.

I think you either aren't setting steering epa or your servo is too close to the chassis. I remember I busted 3 Amazon ds servos in my Kraton before I realized I needed to raise the servo from chassis more. It wasn't even touching but still not a big enough gap. Chassis flex will kill it. I haven't broken a single servo since I've started adding spacers to raise em.

Go get you a HobbyStar servo. You can catch them on sale for about 40$ but they're even worth at 60$ imo. Amazon servo sucks unless you just really don't care at all about performance.

https://www.rcjuice.com/sale/hobbys...speed-digital-brushless-waterproof-servo.html

Last edited:
I run Reefs 500 Raw in most of my rigs and have yet to kill one. They’re pricey, but tons of torque, speed, waterproof, and practically bulletproof. They run about $140.
Also, make sure you’re installing it with the rubber isolators and spacers. If the bottom of the servo is in contact with the chassis, it’ll nuke even the best of servos.
Definitely think it was chassis slapping since it was pretty close to it. What rubber isolators and spacers are you using?

In what way did your previous servos "break"? Electrical? Stripped gear teeth? Broken case? Did they both break in the same way?

If they both broke in the same way, that may say something about whether or not another factor is in play here. I went through two cheap 35kg amazon servos on my kraton EXB before i realized that the servos were dying because the plastic case top was flexing in the servo mount and causing the gears to misalign and eventually strip teeth.

My solution was to buy a cheap aluminum case servo that doesn't flex. Never had any issues since.

My point is, figure out what's going on before you buy another one. Every person's servo experience is anecdotal (including mine), so use the info you have on your old servos to help you make a good future purchase.

In what way did your previous servos "break"? Electrical? Stripped gear teeth? Broken case? Did they both break in the same way?

If they both broke in the same way, that may say something about whether or not another factor is in play here. I went through two cheap 35kg amazon servos on my kraton EXB before i realized that the servos were dying because the plastic case top was flexing in the servo mount and causing the gears to misalign and eventually strip teeth.

My solution was to buy a cheap aluminum case servo that doesn't flex. Never had any issues since.

My point is, figure out what's going on before you buy another one. Every person's servo experience is anecdotal (including mine), so use the info you have on your old servos to help you make a good future purchase.
That was the first thing I did before I took my kraton to bash (thanks forums!) was replace the plastic servo mount with a Hot Racing aluminum servo mount. They both started making a weird clicking noise (after a ton of jumps in the sand of course) and eventually just stopped working entirely. From a previous post about the the servo being too close to the chassis could be an issue since mine is pretty much sitting on it (very close).

So right now im leaning on buying a cheapie from amazon and putting in some spacers to raise the servo away from the chassis. Anyone know of any really thin rubbers pads that I could possibly put under there to alleviate any slams in case of a very bad chassis slap?

That was the first thing I did before I took my kraton to bash (thanks forums!) was replace the plastic servo mount with a Hot Racing aluminum servo mount. They both started making a weird clicking noise (after a ton of jumps in the sand of course) and eventually just stopped working entirely. From a previous post about the the servo being too close to the chassis could be an issue since mine is pretty much sitting on it (very close).
Oh yea that is definitely it! that's exactly how mine was and I was so salty I kept breaking servos. It was the last servo that pointed me in the right direction as I actually had a crack on the bottom of the servo casing.

So right now im leaning on buying a cheapie from amazon and putting in some spacers to raise the servo away from the chassis. Anyone know of any really thin rubbers pads that I could possibly put under there to alleviate any slams in case of a very bad chassis slap?
Here ya go.
Sorbothane Sheet Anti Vibration Isolation Pads Acoustic Damping Film Shock Absorbing Foam Rubber Mat 12 x 6 x1/8 inch 70 Duro https://a.co/d/7PhX8kz

2CDDB94C-2C8F-4AA4-A0EB-A7D590A6E4BE.png

Is it a mechanical failure or electrical?

If mechanical make sure you’re servo saver us functioning. EPA not as important but make sure they are set properly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back