Typhon Broken front diff in less than a week.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Coder

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Ok guys, I need help and advice. I have had my typhon less than a week and I have already broken my front diff. Is there an aftermarket diff or an upgraded diff available? Or atleast upgraded parts and I will rebuild this one?

What broke? These diffs are actually really good and all of the meesed up diffs I have seen have either been from user error, to tight a slipper, too much power, landing on power or from a bearing failure.

Well i just wrote a post about the 6s Typhon then I realized this was the 3s 4x4 thread.. ?Long day...yeah like @slick2500 said it could be from too tight of slipper hard throttle on grass off a jump or a hard nose hit. No aftermarket as far as I know. Does one tire spin free or is it just grinding on throttle? At least parts are cheap for these guys and super easy to install! Hope you get it sorted bro!?

Last edited:
Is this the 6s Typhon? If so, more than likely it's large ring gear or input gear. If so, you need to add a shim to the outter bearing up against the case on the gear side for a tighter mesh. It's inevitable to strip those gears without them. I run 2 shims on each on the Kraton, Outcast and Talion and one on the Typhon since it doesn't even have one from the factory. The V4 anyway. There isn't really any upgrades for the diff as these are tough diffs almost bulletproof if set up right. Hope you get it sorted bro! ?
Since he’s in the 4x4 section I’m assuming it’s a 3S

Sorry guys, yes it is a 3s. No jumps, was in a grass field letting a friend's 10 year old son drive it. Trying to get my friend and his son hooked. Anyhow it cartwheeled and I think that is when it happened. Where it broke, the driver side drive lug snapped off at the diff. Lost inner piece of the driveshaft. Pics included

Attachments

• 20190809_201050.jpg
    20190809_201050.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20190809_201034.jpg
    20190809_201034.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 74
Are you guys running really heavy diff fluid? Or just stock?

My Typhon 3S was stock fluid, but is getting 30k in the front this rebuild. I had popped the u-joint on that output shaft once before. I was surprised it snapped before the u-joint popped again. May have been due to an impact that I didn’t identify. I had been hitting my ramp pretty hard that day.

My Typhon 3S was stock fluid, but is getting 30k in the front this rebuild. I had popped the u-joint on that output shaft once before. I was surprised it snapped before the u-joint popped again. May have been due to an impact that I didn’t identify. I had been hitting my ramp pretty hard that day.
I don't think hitting the ramp did it. Most likely it was hitting the ground that did ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back