Kraton Built an RC ramp today!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Check out this puppy! 20" high 40" long and 33 inches wide about 45 degree angle.
This thing is a kicker! Man does it throw you high! I built for my Kraton EXB 1/8 but made it strong enough for my bros 1/5 Outcast

Only concern is I used underlayment as the top lol might not last long but I didn't glue it just incase I need to go with some thicker plywood 👍

Materials used:
5mm thick 4'x4' underlayment
Leftover 2x4" s that I ripped in half for the cross braces
1/2" plywood for sides
Screws and paint
Can't really give you guys a price on what it cost me, I had all but the top piece of wood laying around already

Can't wait to REALLY try this thing out tomorrow 😎

20210411_132758.jpg

20210411_135133.jpg

20210414_194415.jpg

20210415_152209.jpg

20210415_161328.jpg

20210415_161342.jpg

20210413_185051.jpg

I like it! Not long ago I created one smaller but very similar. I only added a layer of polypropylene on the top to improve the grip.
I had too all the materials in my shop, only the glue I used was different!

Great work man!

I like it! Not long ago I created one smaller but very similar. I only added a layer of polypropylene on the top to improve the grip.
I had too all the materials in my shop, only the glue I used was different!

Great work man!
Thanks!
Where did you get the polypropylene? Does it also improve strength?
I love how light the ramp is right now, it can easily be carried with one hand, glad I ripped the 2x4s 👍

PS all I had for exterior paint was an old can of poop brown, 💩 it's pretty ugly.. I may go buy a can and paint it again lol any suggestions on color? I can't decide, was thinking white.. no yellow.. wait blue? Idk lol

Thanks!
Where did you get the polypropylene? Does it also improve strength?
I love how light the ramp is right now, it can easily be carried with one hand, glad I ripped the 2x4s 👍

PS all I had for exterior paint was an old can of poop brown, 💩 it's pretty ugly.. I may go buy a can and paint it again lol any suggestions on color? I can't decide, was thinking white.. no yellow.. wait blue? Idk lol
I had in my shop as a leftover of a project I built but I bought from LeroyMerlin, a sort of European "The Home Depot"

It doesn't improve structural strenght, it improves the tires grip on the surface area and absorbs some kinetic impact in the middle section but if you don't have it don't buy it!

The only suggestion I'm offering you is to put something rugged on the ramp surface to improve the tyres traction, maybe a layer of paint mixed with sand (cheap and easy) to simulate the grip of the asphalt

Check out this puppy! 20" high 40" long and 33 inches wide about 45 degree angle.
This thing is a kicker! Man does it throw you high! I built for my Kraton EXB 1/8 but made it strong enough for my bros 1/5 Outcast

Only concern is I used underlayment as the top lol might not last long but I didn't glue it just incase I need to go with some thicker plywood 👍

Materials used:
5mm thick 4'x4' underlayment
Leftover 2x4" s that I ripped in half for the cross braces
1/2" plywood for sides
Screws and paint
Can't really give you guys a price on what it cost me, I had all but the top piece of wood laying around already

Can't wait to REALLY try this thing out tomorrow 😎

View attachment 139963

View attachment 139964

View attachment 139965

View attachment 139966

View attachment 139967

View attachment 139968

View attachment 139969
Well Done!! That's next on my list of projects after my workshop rebuild gets done. How did you decide the angle of the slope? Looks to be 45 ish? Did you freehand the slope curve or use a guide?

I have a couple built the exact same way. Including the ripped 2x4's I've managed to punch right through them several times now. Same with the underlayment. They would last a few sessions like that with the 1/8th trucks, but now with the big Kraton and XMaxx I destroyed both of them in a day. Going to use full 2x4's and plywood going forward. You'll have a blast while they last though! Have fun!

I See a Toyota camry a honda civic and a ram 1500.
How dare you! 😤 that's a GMC sierra my friend! I don't drive no dodge! 🤣

Good catch on the camry tho! You only see a tiny bit in the picture lol it's like a game of I spy! Now... tell me what kind of dirtbikes are in the back ground 🤔😏
Well Done!! That's next on my list of projects after my workshop rebuild gets done. How did you decide the angle of the slope? Looks to be 45 ish? Did you freehand the slope curve or use a guide?
I intended it to be 45 but ended up making the cut before I measured the angle lol
But as long as your height to length ratio is 2 to 1, like mine is 20" high 40" long, that should be a 45 degree angle. 45 is best I read so you travel the right amount of distance to air/height
As for the curve I used a flexible rod and anchored to both sides and bent it to the curve I wanted. Also I screwed the 2 sides together and did one cut that way they are exactly the same 👍
I have a couple built the exact same way. Including the ripped 2x4's I've managed to punch right through them several times now. Same with the underlayment. They would last a few sessions like that with the 1/8th trucks, but now with the big Kraton and XMaxx I destroyed both of them in a day. Going to use full 2x4's and plywood going forward. You'll have a blast while they last though! Have fun!
Oh boy good to know! .... sorry bro.. Can't use my ramp with your outcast! Haha
Guess I'll have to do plywood once it breaks

Last edited:
Also my ramps are a bit steeper, I think what mainly breaks them is when you hit them at high speed and the suspension compress when you hit the transition. This causes the chassis/bumper to smack into the ramp. So the steeper they are the more this happens. Hitting them at lower speed can still get you way up in the air with out smashing right through them.

I had in my shop as a leftover of a project I built but I bought from LeroyMerlin, a sort of European "The Home Depot"

It doesn't improve structural strenght, it improves the tires grip on the surface area and absorbs some kinetic impact in the middle section but if you don't have it don't buy it!

The only suggestion I'm offering you is to put something rugged on the ramp surface to improve the tyres traction, maybe a layer of paint mixed with sand (cheap and easy) to simulate the grip of the asphalt
Give Non-skid Tape a try. Comes in rolls about 6" wide and will stick to anything.

Well tried the ramp out today.. success! It was awesome launched you super high and we were bashing with my K-EXB Noto6 and Outcast 1/5 and an X-maxx. Surprisingly the top layer of underlayment lasted with all that. I'm sure it won't for long tho 😆
Sorry no pics or vids we were having too much fun to think about that. Well... until I stripped my servo horn 🙄

Kv5 newbie here. Built my first ramp yesterday, but I think it might be too narrow at only 24”. I was trying to use scraps I had in the garage, but it’s pretty hard to hit it dead on at speed. Used a thin sheet of Masonite for the surface (rough side up), but based on what many are saying, it might be under-engineered for full throttle hits. Time will tell. Always wanted to try these cutouts on something made of plywood, so this was my first attempt. It gives a lot of spots to grab it and keeps the weight manageable for carrying out into a field. I also threw on some little casters for rolling around if your on pavement, etc. It was a fun exercise and hope to learn pros/cons for the next one (....definitely 36-48”)

1C3EB20F-949A-4151-9E6F-CCE97E743ED0.jpeg

77F84C24-BF73-4091-B77A-3F5C82BAF0BC.jpeg

7F991C94-480F-477D-BF37-70EF7848F73C.jpeg

9AF66245-D4D6-4C53-9502-3F0960B8D4F1.jpeg

Sweet looking ramp !! Just do the next one at 32-36 and it will be perfect! Compact one can be fit travel...

Kv5 newbie here. Built my first ramp yesterday, but I think it might be too narrow at only 24”. I was trying to use scraps I had in the garage, but it’s pretty hard to hit it dead on at speed. Used a thin sheet of Masonite for the surface (rough side up), but based on what many are saying, it might be under-engineered for full throttle hits. Time will tell. Always wanted to try these cutouts on something made of plywood, so this was my first attempt. It gives a lot of spots to grab it and keeps the weight manageable for carrying out into a field. I also threw on some little casters for rolling around if your on pavement, etc. It was a fun exercise and hope to learn pros/cons for the next one (....definitely 36-48”)

View attachment 141954

View attachment 141955

View attachment 141956

View attachment 141957
Nice ramp! I love the cut outs on the side, I thought of doing the same and make it a little lighter, Mines surprisingly not heavy at all, I will say mine is around 33 inches wide and it's still hard to hit dead on sometimes, next one will be 36 at least.
Yours looks to have a slightly less of a curve than mine, probably better honestly, my curve is drastic and throws you WAY up in the air lol makes it fun tho but easier to break parts 😆
Good job on yours!

Nice ramp! I love the cut outs on the side, I thought of doing the same and make it a little lighter, Mines surprisingly not heavy at all, I will say mine is around 33 inches wide and it's still hard to hit dead on sometimes, next one will be 36 at least.
Yours looks to have a slightly less of a curve than mine, probably better honestly, my curve is drastic and throws you WAY up in the air lol makes it fun tho but easier to break parts 😆
Good job on yours!
Thx, man. I’m pretty pleased for a first attempt, but I’ll definitely go wider next time. I used the pvc trick and tried to get a little kick at the top, but it’s still pretty mild. I lost some of the steeper section because I had to chop a few inches off the end to get the 48” Masonite to cover the whole thing. I’ll run the sheets sideways on the wider version when I get the time. Yours looks like a lot of fun!

The good thing you've got there is it may force you to be a better driver. My buddy built a ramp that's 4' wide, don't recall the height and the kick but it'll send it for sure. Problem is taking it anywhere blows, it's so damn heavy. It's bad enough dragging it from the back yard to the front.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back