Outcast Busted Budget Basher Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pictures, but I swapped out the rear links for a set of EXB ones I got from Jenny’s. So far the rebuilt 7mm m2c shocks are holding up great. Never posted pics of the trenchers, shocks and unbreakable wing mount/wheelie bar.

5920B96E-FF15-4A3F-AEFE-D1CC3F3C2A6B.jpeg

F2EE7D10-3BC5-4E3E-B276-F69958886505.jpeg

And onto the latest issue. The last few times I had it out, the rod end would pop off the ball attached to the steering rack. Usually I would just pop it back on and ignore it but the last time out it completely sheared the screw off.

BDACE5E7-C7CA-4733-B975-A5FFE6C2743C.jpeg

Ordered replacement bushings/bearings and figured while I was in there I may as well upgrade the steering rack so I ordered a Vitavon kit. Wondering if perhaps I need to do some adjusting on the servo saver or if it’s just an issue of things being worn out.

Other than as documented the truck has held up fantastically. I have a set of m2c pillow ball retainers to throw in, but the stock ones haven’t caused an issue so I’m in no rush. Over the winter I’m tempted to replace the diff cups with Vitavon V2s and upgrade to an m2c chassis, but I’m leaning towards just following the original plan and not upgrading until it is a problem.

Took right around two weeks, but the Vitavon steering rack is here! I appreciate them including bearings and getting rid of the lower bushings.

D7F8128D-EBFE-43E9-889F-12AAF62036A0.jpeg

Much easier install with the front assembly completely removed from the truck.

0BCFA689-CDA2-4387-8B16-789CFF1028D6.jpeg

And there it is installed with a leftover EXB ball end thing I had laying around.
3678E067-8BB6-4727-B3C5-2710C05DA192.jpeg

And figured while it was down I may as well install the M2C pillow ball retainers I’ve had laying here for months.

473FB66F-8E89-4D8E-91BA-9A6BE770ABC7.jpeg

60D41899-5A07-40B2-B5FB-65CFBD9EF218.jpeg

I know some of you are probably cringing that I didn’t take this opportunity to clean everything spotless but… oh well. I’m sure it’s going to get a winter makeover anyways.

Well I took it out for what will probably be the last run of the season and it performed great as usual, until a backflip went wrong. Upon first inspection, it looked like I just broke the B block and lost a screw.

79311B5C-7C2F-4E3F-A349-310E7C1AC26E.jpeg

Then I noticed it looked like some of the screws holding the front bulkhead were backing out.

6E915D09-23EC-49CB-A736-06277B030506.jpeg

But no, sure enough I twisted the front part of the chassis.

7544F8C5-C628-44B0-8190-2740BA2A4378.jpeg

Luckily there was still 6 hours to go on the m2c sale, so I ordered a new chassis for it. I’ll probably go ahead and order the Vitavon hanger blocks at some point as well. I’ve driven this truck like I stole it, so I’m not really upset about having to put a chassis into it. The max5/980kv combo is still running great, no diff or driveshaft problems running 30/39 gearing with the monster trenchers. Overall still pretty happy with the performance and dependability of the truck. The budget is starting to get a little off track from being a “budget build” but I’m having a heck of a lot of fun with it.

Great stuff bro, you have me thinking I should have bought the k8s chassis even though I don't need it yet. I did get 2 more overkill driveshafts to complete all 4 corners though. Wonder when the next sale will be >.>

Change of plans…

5CED482F-AC09-4E7A-BC62-D8AF457BE693.jpeg

Stumbled upon a steal of a deal on Amazon, EXB roller for like $426 to my door, fulfilled by Amain! Didn’t really want to start over with the build, but with the price of parts/spares it was almost a no brained. New game plan is, put the m2c chassis and my other upgrades/electronics on this one, sell whatever bits I’m not going to use (EXB chassis, shocks etc) and then break down my OG Outcast for spares.

3EAEFA85-3573-4AFA-94BD-08A93ED27AA1.jpeg

8FC08C83-D6A8-4F10-9611-61833A57641F.jpeg

523ADCD7-5597-4B07-9677-A0208380E0D6.jpeg

M2C chassis assembled, everything fits good so far.

6E78ABD0-B14C-499F-AE85-7C0C06735604.jpeg

Based off how terrible the body lines up on the OG Outcast, I think the chassis may be more twisted than I thought.

EEE70B35-2ABE-4387-B0E3-1921B4ED31F0.jpeg

Seeing double…

AFE42995-8C3F-4FD7-9FD8-C66EFAF28A44.jpeg

5DD9D877-3703-4CD6-9304-C84BB78E1C44.jpeg

Whoa wait a minute… what if… two Outcasts?

No. The OG Outcast is stripped down and in a bucket for spares. Looks like the damage is a chassis, a B block and somehow I lost a m2c pillow (pillar?) ball retainer. Not bad I suppose.

ABE190B5-6F6B-4C34-BF40-F9DA4E0559B5.jpeg

image.jpg

4CC2DF7B-882C-46F7-BC87-E5E6598D0A7A.jpeg

The new Outcast has the new m2c chassis swapped onto it, as well as the Vitavon steering set up thing, whatever they’re calling it and of course the badass 3DRC bumper spring.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don’t plan to run the unbreakable wing thing on this build at the moment. I need to clean up my m2c 7mm shocks and get them swapped on and then it’s pretty much just go through the diffs and reinstall electronics with maybe a surprise or two thrown in along the way.

All of my builds are getting a bit drug out, eh? Honestly I just haven’t had the time to mess with much any of it, and let prime winter building time slip past me. Weather is getting nice, so hopefully I can get the last few things done and get back to bashing this one.

Update time!

So I lost an m2c pillar ball retainer last fall when I tweaked the chassis. My dad was walking around in his backyard the other day (however many months later) and found it! Score! Haha.

8FC92B4E-6D8D-4301-B033-BB374452C223.jpeg

I hate the Arrma red, or really any red in general and I don’t have the patience for polishing, so I sent all of the red parts out to Bateman’s Custom Coatings and got it all blacked out.

6A880384-CDCE-4414-8213-887E2ED8B21A.jpeg

I’ve got 4 rigs to rebuild at the moment, so I’m not sure where this one will fall in build order, but this was one of my favorite trucks last year so I’m pretty excited to have all the parts to get it back together and rip some more.

Well I tore apart and reassembled the Kraton to steal the motor slide and gearing for this build so progress moves on!

View attachment 220689

Things are starting to look a little dirtier than I originally saw but… the can of beans fits, and clears the steering rack, so no forced upgrades there.

View attachment 220690
View attachment 220691

Started to pick the bones of the stock receiver box and found the original owner decided to keep one of the screws… hey that’s ok I’ve got replacements.

View attachment 220692

Oh… he also decided to keep the little felt/foam wire chase covers too… ok I guess I wasn’t planning on running in wet conditions I can live with that.

View attachment 220693

See ya later Spektrum servo junk!

View attachment 220694

Hey how you doing Raminator servo…

View attachment 220695

Oh the original owner also decided to keep these… I guess they aren’t really needed???

View attachment 220696

Oh and kept this too

View attachment 220697

And this…

View attachment 220698

And finally… the final piece that is really aggravating me…

View attachment 220699

I’m about as far as I can go with getting the servo mounted at this point. I will have to do some research and decide if I should upgrade things on my K8sexB so I can steal from it for this build or if I should just go back with stock parts and leave my Kraton alone.
I didn't know there were other motor slides that fit stock mount! where did you get it? 🤣

I didn't know there were other motor slides that fit stock mount! where did you get it? 🤣

That’s just one of the stock ones that come with the EXB rigs. I stripped the anodizing off it. There is also the PPS motor slide, I’m running that in my 8s Kraton.

Making some progress getting the blackout parts installed. I got the rear hubs installed but not pictured.

CED42CC3-A6BF-48FD-A60C-EE417F30DBD2.jpeg

35A9018F-D0D2-4599-809C-54D0B88313BF.jpeg

Undecided yet what I’m going to do with the diffs. I think the center I’m just going to reuse the OG diff that I already rebuilt with ear plugs. I’m leaning towards putting the old front and rear diffs in, but I’m on the fence with aluminum cups, Arrma or Vitavon. I like the Vitavon cups more but they are almost twice as much, take way longer to get, and fitment can be hit or miss. I might just rebuild the OG set with 1mil in the front and 500k in the rear and forget it for another day.

Got the 980kv motor and OG center diff switched over to the blacked out EXB motor mount. Also swapped for a set of titanium motor screws from Scorched. Love how clean this looks.

13D253DA-9E75-4BEB-BD13-056C9BA0A26E.jpeg

Back where it belongs.

86E988C1-DDBE-4051-8111-C3FE28B9CAB4.jpeg

57FBA1BC-0B7C-468A-8296-8A1A0EAFF84F.jpeg

And I swapped on a set of front battery tray mounts courtesy of @dure16

I tried to get a few shots that compare the factory to the extended.

B53C4A51-CFF1-40F2-A784-2BC5C4806303.jpeg

02A9F203-4FC0-4338-959B-93C7C61EFCC5.jpeg

In my experience it is much easier to get the front lower chassis brace installed before either the motor or the esc/servo set up. So I got the front two chassis braces reinforced with carbon fiber and installed.

E8AA9F3E-DE75-4F82-B9DD-15503D5789DC.jpeg

And with that, I was able to throw back in the max5/Raminator servo combo.

78A7D40B-FE3C-4A03-9352-05A33FDB4310.jpeg

I still need to do something about that red/yellow/blue shrink wrap, tidy up the wiring, carbon fiber wrap the rear braces and then I think it is basically ready to rip again. Still haven’t addressed the front/rear diffs but I’ll get to it before it makes it out again.

Got the 980kv motor and OG center diff switched over to the blacked out EXB motor mount. Also swapped for a set of titanium motor screws from Scorched. Love how clean this looks.

View attachment 311576

Back where it belongs.

View attachment 311577
View attachment 311578

View attachment 311579

View attachment 311580

In my experience it is much easier to get the front lower chassis brace installed before either the motor or the esc/servo set up. So I got the front two chassis braces reinforced with carbon fiber and installed.

View attachment 311581

View attachment 311582

I still need to do something about that red/yellow/blue shrink wrap, tidy up the wiring, carbon fiber wrap the rear braces and then I think it is basically ready to rip again. Still haven’t addressed the front/rear diffs but I’ll get to it before it makes it out again.
Really clean build. The absence of red makes it seem like a totally different vehicle for some reason.

I’m really digg’n the blacked out look. 😍
What did it cost to have all those bits coated black? Is the coating fairly durable?

I’m really digg’n the blacked out look. 😍
What did it cost to have all those bits coated black? Is the coating fairly durable?

Thanks brother! I can’t/don’t have the patience to polish stuff to an acceptable level, so anodizing it is!

Basically the more you do, the cheaper it is. I did like 99 pieces for 4 different rigs and it was $250 shipped back to me. I want to say it is a $25 lot fee and then $2-6 depending on the size of the piece. When I messed up my Fireteam chassis braces, I only got two things coated so with shipping it was $38, so it definitely helps to do as much as possible. Probably a little expensive for a basher, but man I love the way it looks.

As far as durability, time will tell but it definitely seems on par with the factory Arrma anodizing.

Really clean build. The absence of red makes it seem like a totally different vehicle for some reason.

It really does! When I was assembling it, I questioned if I should have went wild and blacked out completely everything but I really think it’s a great looking mix of black and bare aluminum.

View attachment 311576

Back where it belongs.

View attachment 311577
View attachment 311578

View attachment 311579

View attachment 311580

View attachment 311581

View attachment 311582

I really need to do that carbon fiber brace thing!! I bought the CF and never touched it lol. Rig looks amazing man, you really like black huh? :cool: (y)

I really need to do that carbon fiber brace thing!! I bought the CF and never touched it lol. Rig looks amazing man, you really like black huh? :cool: (y)

Man, just black, or black and silver is pretty tough to beat. I’ve always had a tough time deciding what way to go with stuff besides black. I’ve got another build mapped out in my head that will bring in some more colors, but for the most part I’m pretty basic.

This winter I’d like to do a light refresh on my K8S but again, tough to decide on an anodized color that I won’t either immediately regret or get sick of.

I think the carbon fiber braces help, and it’s an easy way to get rid of the red. I really want those CRCU chassis braces, but man those things are money.

Got the rear braces done tonight. I went ahead and ordered Arrma aluminum diff cups for the front and rear. They’ve held up nicely in my K8S so far, so might as well use them on this pig as well.

FFEF2689-A468-4EA2-A555-EEA201AD8E05.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back