Kraton Buying my first Arrma is a great pain in the... I NEED GUIDANCE, PLEASE HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacSpacey

Reaction score
Hello nice people here I am back at it, I have been raising my kids for the last 10plus years and now I have done my daddy time, its time for me to get back to my RC hobby!!! and I have just started reading everything I can get my hands and eyes on, but getting back up to speed again after 10 years not having driven any form of rc car, maybe even 15 years..... Yeah closer to 15 years... Damn... But anywho..... I've been trying to get up to speed, but it has changed so much... Especially when I look at the electro RC cars, in my time it just wasn't possible to achieve those speeds and driving time that they can achieve nowadays, the only thing that was cool about electrics over nitro/gas powered back in the day was the acceleration of the cars, but the top speed was meh. And the driving time was below the 7 minute mark. So to see how far it has come, its just mind boggling. So that is why I am putting my feelers out and get as much information I can. To be sure I am getting the right type of vehicle to start with (again) and see if I can get some info from the people with the most experience. I have a few things I need to share with you, I have unlimited amount of space available, mainly off road, gravel, low cut grass, an entire park, 3 soccer fields, out of use but still maintained, and even a bmx track that is just 3 months old. So if you were in my shoes and you were starting with the RC hobby for the first time. Is it a good idea to get a Arrma Typhon 6s to start with, or go for a 3s model? Then I really like the Senton and Mojave. But here in the Netherlands the Typhon is a very good price I Pay for a new
Typhon 6s 480 euro = 550 USD.
But I like the design of a short course but here the price of a
Senton 6s is high it costs a lot more 600 euro= 686 usd
and what I think would be my favorite thing of all time is the
Mojave, but I don't understand why this model is so expensive here in the Netherlands. The price for the mojave in America if you look at horizon hobby it costs 629 USD
and here you pay 720 euro = 823 USD for the Mojave. It just doesn't make any sense in my opinion..
But it would be a great help if you could recommend any other types of ARRMA cars that I really need to check out? If you would ask about my current top I have to go with
1. Mojave (would max out my budget immediately)
2. Senton 6s (I cannot believe that the Senton costs 150usd more then the Typhon 6s) is it worth it? )
3. The Typhon 6s (I am not sure if I like this Buggy type of thing) I'm totally new to models like the Kraton and I don't know what to expect driving such a vehicle?!

Thanks for ANY information I CAN GET and I look forward to your ideas, your experience, and what do you think is the best way to go when starting a hobby I left 10-15 years ago. I really want to learn from your experience and getting the right Car to work on and Bash with. Ps I am pretty good at restoration work and give the cars the service they need for them to keep running smoothly, so that is something that I enjoy doing. If I can get some good pointers on how to choose between a 3s model and a 6s model that would be a great gift for me because I am out if the hobby for so many years that I can't see the forest through the trees anymore. So any help would really mean a lot to me.
Macspacey out!
PEACE!!!

Eat?Sleep?Bash?〽?Repeat?

Last edited:
One thing to note is that the Senton 6s is a Typhon 6s just with some very small differences. Mostly around the A-Arm and axle length.
Along those lines they are supposedly stopping production of the Senton 6s. I have already seen some declines in parts availability...

Typhon 6s might be your best buy between the two. People who have purchased the Mojave cannot say anything bad.... I personally have not driven one.

I have driven the v4 Kraton. If you have rough terrain or tall grass this may be a better choice. It is a bit more stable than the typhon due to the longer wheel base. The larger tires also tend to be more plush on big landings.
I like all of the 6s line. You really cannot go wrong. Parts are interchangeable between models, and Europe just recently got a parts breaker selling replacement parts dirt cheap.

Welcome @MacSpacey. Glad to hear you are able to get some R&R in now.

If I were you I would get the Typhon and truggify it or get the Talion. I recently bought a Typhon and it is an absolute animal. I’ve had the Kraton and I can say I would take the truggified Typhon over it when having the option of open low cut grass fields and a BMX Park.

Here is my build thread if you want to check it out. I try to log my bashes to help in times like this.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/mongooses-typhon-build.17203/

I'm of the opinion that the Kraton is the most well rounded of the various models, at least out-of-the-box. What's best for you really boils to what type of driving you want to do. As far as 6S vs. 3S, my standard line is go 6S if it fits your budget.

Hmmm it's funny what those prices are doing. The senton 6s should cost the same as the typhon 6s, and the mojave shouldn't be nearly as expensive. The senton 6s is discontinued, but if you can find one for a good price and you like the short course style, you should go for the senton. It is a blast. really tough and super crazy fast. I mean 6s on a 1/10 scale short course truck is almost uncontrollable. The mojave is really fast and tough too (maybe the toughest arrma). The driving experience of the mojave is a really unique and fun, but the price is messed up for you with the weird exchange rates. typhon or kraton are the most well rounded trucks. I would go for the kraton to start with, because it can go over big terrain, jump well, very fast too( a little bit slower but not much than the typhon due to weight) and overall just does everything well. later down the line you can explore more specialized corners of the markets like the mojave.

Why has no one suggested the Talion to @MacSpacey? If you want a good all around truggy, the Talion is the most well balanced of the bunch. Given that you'll be doing some jumping at the BMX track as well as just ripping around in fields, the Talion is most likely going to cover all the bases. Only downside is upgrade availability, but they do exist. I'd buy a Talion if I didn't have an Notorious. I ended up buying a Typhon 6s for a nice track style car, but probably wouldn't have had to if I had originally bought the Talion.
My first Arrma vehicle was the Talion and still my favorite Truggy style to drive.
I drive my Typhon and Kraton least.
Sorry @crimsonfancy, I didn't see you had already mentioned it.

Why has no one suggested the Talion to @MacSpacey? If you want a good all around truggy, the Talion is the most well balanced of the bunch. Given that you'll be doing some jumping at the BMX track as well as just ripping around in fields, the Talion is most likely going to cover all the bases. Only downside is upgrade availability, but they do exist. I'd buy a Talion if I didn't have an Notorious. I ended up buying a Typhon 6s for a nice track style car, but probably wouldn't have had to if I had originally bought the Talion.

Sorry @crimsonfancy, I didn't see you had already mentioned it.

Thats ok. Just kinda hidden in there anyway.
@Mongoose hinted at the Talion as well.

You could always get a typhon and spend a few bucks on senton arms, axles, hubs (if they’re different) maybe some towers and body mounts if they’re also different. That way you can get a senton body from a kit breaker, then in about 20-30 minutes you can swap between them. You’d have two trucks in one, then whatever you feel like running that day you could swap over. There may be a few bits involved but i bet it’s less than you think. You can leave the carriers,axles,hexes, wheels and arms assembled. You’d just have to pop off the front and rear bumpers, take the top mount loose on the shocks and bam you’re done. The towers are the most time consuming part.... Personally i think thats the best part of the 6s arrma lineup, the diffs and housings are basically the same so you can experiment with different arms and shocks/towers, chassis and bugger together your favorite bits into whatever you can think of like legos. As far as the 3 v 6s argument, look at it like this; you can always turn the power down on a 6s with the radio/batteries until you have enough wheel time that you’re not crashing into yourself. You can always tune it down, tuning it up is much more difficult (ie. expensive) with the 3s. Since you said room is not an issue, i would definitely start with 1/8 scale. Theres just something about the bigger scale, for me fun grows exponentially when you get past 1/10. You seriously cannot go wrong with any of them, arrma is killing the game right now. Summation advice : once you experience modern rc you will end up with more than one. It’s essentially you asking yourself which one you want to buy first, then second, and then third, fourth hahaha. Please post pics when you get it so we can argue over why you picked the wrong/right one lol.
(seriously they’re all awesome)
Cheers!

If your budget is around 500, then get a 4s, because once you get a 6s you will end up putting 1000-1500 into it before you have a solid bashing truck. If you get the 4s it doesn't need a lot to be super strong, batteries are cheaper, parts are cheaper if you do break something, which is pretty rare for me. There is not a lot of after-market parts because they simply are not necessary. If you like long sweeping jumps (larger BMX track) then go Kraton with the longer chassis. If you want a more playful truck that can jump and flip with ease then get the Outcast. Buggies are more precision, and I don't personally like the SCT form of the Senton or Mojave, but I see you do. I like bigger tires and more suspension for the jumps, and you have the perfect space to play with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back