Calling all Vets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarsK9

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 6s
So, just got an email for contractor work (security) in Kabul and Kandahar. I’d LOVE to go, being a civvie sucks, being out sucks but the politics of being in sucks just as much if not more. I cant do it due to my kids but man, 3 months on and 1 off, $300 a day tax free and being back behind a gun sounds nice. Anyway, what do y’all do for careers? I’ve bounced between a few jobs but still have yet to find anything that comes close to the excitement, camaraderie, and the sense of purpose that I used to have. Thinking about heading to my local vet center and see if they can point me in the right direction, but I’m freaking bored and need to figure this s$&t show of my life out.

I'm posting because no one has yet. Go down to the VFW or Legion, talk to some of the OG's. Grab a beer! Sounds like you need to be doing something that fulfills you. COP? Fire Fighter? Open up a K9 protection training facility (y)

Ya know.. Life isn't always about having that "super titled" career. Make what you can, when you can. Every LAST person I know that went to college and got a degree whether it be a Bachelors, Masters or even an Associates degree, not one of them motherscratchers does anything for a living that they went to school for. Including my suck ass sister in law... Nobody they know that went to school does what they studied for either.. One of my good friends has his Masters, he's 46 and JUST paid off his student loans last year. Drives a truck... Another is a VET, 3 tours in Iraq, Heli mechanic in the ARMY. Drives a truck.. No, I don't drive a truck lol. If you are providing for your kids and putting food on the table, you are doing it already brother! Good luck to you!

My best friend is a Marine and he actually works at a veteran owned optical business which services the VA.

I was in the Navy and I now work at a shipyard that builds Navy ships.

It's going to be hard to find the thrill and camaraderie of the military in the civilian sector. What area of the country are you in?

Thanks gents. We have a legion down the road form my work so might run down one night after I clock out. You’re right about the fulfilling thing, right now I’m an auto tech but I’m sick of it, bored out of mind so it doesn’t feel all that important. I’ve been working on getting the cash to go to the k9 school but with 3 kids, it’s tough getting it together to cover expenses while I’m gone, especially with refusing to dig into my savings or take out a loan and to top it off, my girl has been at home with the kids because of covid. I might look into firefighter or paramedic, that’s a good idea. As far as my location, I’m in southern IN, basically the border of ky.

Crane, Indiana has a base and some defense jobs, but not many are likely to give you the thrill you are seeking. I like the idea of EMT/paramedic/firefighter.

Thanks. It’s been a few years since I got out and I’m tired of feeling like I haven’t accomplished anything since then.

You're out man. Now is the time to enjoy your life and family. Making memories with your family will far outweigh accomplishments at the end of the day.

For those of you who may not know, these gigs are heavy "glorified firewatch".

After leaving the Marine Corps, I am blessed to retire with the state department. These contractor jobs sound good because they are talked up, but the reality is the work is not what you are likely imagining, you could be a mall cop and be doing the same kind of work with mush less risk.

Also, how do I get the cool guy Veteran Banner?

You're out man. Now is the time to enjoy your life and family. Making memories with your family will far outweigh accomplishments at the end of the day.
I get it, and I do but with working 50hr a week, I’d much rather have something that makes me feel like I’m doing something idk a bit more important I guess. Hard to explain.

For those of you who may not know, these gigs are heavy "glorified firewatch".

After leaving the Marine Corps, I am blessed to retire with the state department. These contractor jobs sound good because they are talked up, but the reality is the work is not what you are likely imagining, you could be a mall cop and be doing the same kind of work with mush less risk.

Also, how do I get the cool guy Veteran Banner?
I get that 100% for me it’s 1, being with the same group of people, I can’t share stories with the guys I work with cause they don’t really get it, and again, it’s the purpose type thing.
There’s a thread floating around general chaos thats for vets, type a reply and woodie will give you the banner.

I get it, and I do but with working 50hr a week, I’d much rather have something that makes me feel like I’m doing something idk a bit more important I guess. Hard to explain.
How long have you been out man?

I totally get what you're saying. That said, don't underestimate the importance of any job. Some people can't stand truck drivers - but without them, we would have nothing. Hotel / motel staff .. they are the ones that have the biggest impact on your thoughts of the area, the facilities and sometimes your day.

If you were combat, it'll be hard to find something like that on the civy side - aside from swat maybe? As for comaraderie - there's nothing else like it, except maybe Fire, Police or Medic? I've made lifelong friends while serving. I've made some great friends on the outside too but it's not the same. I'll echo others on visiting a VFW, AL or other. Additionally .. you can do a world of help by visiting or helping out at a VA hospital or Veterans home .. and this in turn may also help you. Sometimes, all a Vet wants is someone to talk to. Believe it or not, this one little step could save a life.

Another item - a very important item, as also stated previously, you have family .. and that should have some value, some very important value. While camaraderie is important, family bonds (especially where children are involved) are more important.

Last edited:
Been out coming a little of 4 years. I love my kids and I couldn’t be happier with having my family, they mean everything to me and without them, idk where I’d be. They keep grounded but I can’t get rid of this feeling that I’m supposed to be doing something in addition to that.

Well for S&Gs I contacted a legal firm in my area that’s looking for a veterans benefits case manager. Not exciting at all but I could do some good there helping out local vets that are fighting the VA.
I got a buddy right now fighting the VA for his disability. I work with retired Chiefs who have never seen combat and all are 80% or more disability rating. My buddy who got blown up in combat is rated at 40%. He has had ongoing knee issue even though he has been out 14 years and pretty severe PTSD. There seems to be few people there to help, even the local DAV was crap. So I have seen the need first hand for people to help vets with the VA.

Thank you to all of you guys for your service.
Yes, I know a few former Marines and active members of the armed forces. Their drive to stay in action and make a difference is tremendous. My father has shared some war stories that have provided very valuable life lessons. I've never had to be in the line of fire, but I know it's something it's not something many can rise to. Thank you for your service.

Yeah, my buddy sure got the crap end of the stick. 14 years in and got medically retired yet only 40%.

That’s some bull. How tf can someone med out and get 40%? There was some dude in my platoon that messed up his back drunk and off duty, went on a ruck the next morning got “hurt” and he got if I remember right, like 60-70% and it was his first duty station

Yeah man, I don't know. Especially when I am working with guys who have never seen combat and have just general issues any 50-60 year old would have and are all 80%+. It's crazy, but he is finally fighting it now after being out for over a decade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back