Big Rock Can anyone help diagnose my Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGibb

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Nero
  8. Notorious
  9. Outcast 8s
  10. Outcast 6s
  11. Senton 6s
  12. Senton 3s
  13. Typhon 6s
  14. Typhon 3s
(no Nero prefix?) Anyone able to diagnose the odd noise my Nero makes when it's in the air? Seems to run ok on the deck, but in flight it doesn't seem to have drive (front end drops) and it sounds strange. The pinion / spur mesh seems ok & I'd have thought if the slipper was too loose it'd struggle when on the ground. Previously had the 17t pinion on it and it's only after fitting the 15t (17 flew off) that I get this noise. PUZZLED ! https://www.facebook.com/670075830/videos/10158237066700831/?extid=Zx2uT1NDlHW1AbTJ

don't own one, but trying to help. Put it on a stand and run it, listen closely and use your finger to feel for vibrations etc....

Try to identify where the noise is coming from AMD double check the diffs?

Didnt make the noise before with the other pinion... ok, what changed? The pinion, and the mesh...
is it the correct pitch pinion?
Is the spur worn, and now residing against a new pinion?
Is the mesh set correctly?
Motor can end bearing have any play?

Difficult to diagnose without actually examining it in person. Although I’ve never heard of broken Nero diff gears, you might want to look into that.

Didnt make the noise before with the other pinion... ok, what changed? The pinion, and the mesh...
is it the correct pitch pinion?
Is the spur worn, and now residing against a new pinion?
Is the mesh set correctly?
Motor can end bearing have any play?

Set the mesh in the tried and tested paper width method & it runs really well on the ground - that's what stumps me, I know it sounds like the motor racing / lack of mesh when its in the air but that doesn't tie to it running fine with the wheels planted. Had wondered if the slipper was not set right - had to remove it all when changing the spur gear and pinion (previous 17t pinion gear took out a shedload of teeth on the previous spur gear before/as it fell off the motor). Only other variable / issue is that it popped a rear shock cap during this session - throwing a shock full of fluid over the top of the motor can / rear driveshaft.
Nero with or w/o diff brain? It’s not designed for big air jumps. Best to keep at least two wheels on a ground.

Diff brain removed (looks like a pretty tidy job) - trying not to treat it like a museum piece, though I know parts are getting more scarce :)

Strange for sure.. as mentioned above, If you can post a video it would help us tremendously..?

Open heart surgery on the Nero - Centre diff didn’t sound right after I rebuilt it previously. Seemed way more free spinning after putting it back together this time .... ?I had the washer between the gear and the bearing on the slipper shaft last time and it all seemed a little tight. Now sitting between the bearing and the slipper. Of course I do fully realise it would have been WAY smarter to have looked at the manual ?
4F1B4B15-60D2-42D4-97E8-DDE59346F081.jpeg

Yup... looks like I had it wrong first time around. Hopefully didn’t cause any damage - only ran it for a short time ?

59DC1CB4-A738-4162-BB9F-DCD958533921.jpeg

Glad you figured it out bro. It's amazing how such a thin shim can affect the drivetrain. Now go have some more fun!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back