Talion Can you start a nitro car without starter box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look familiar?
15856021482884097880535924363749.jpg

I got my first lipo rig and converted her over to a speed machine.
1585602193397568607024840948239.jpg

You are going to be very disappointed in it.
When the clutchbell wears down.. because it will. You can't even find a 17t for it anymore. They have not built these rigs in 5 years. It is old warehouse stock they are bringing back out. You will be left with a 15. Losi has their own special bells. Stock top speed is 27 after the tooth change it was 19.

Look familiar?View attachment 72353
I got my first lipo rig and converted her over to a speed machine. View attachment 72354
You are going to be very disappointed in it.
When the clutchbell wears down.. because it will. You can't even find a 17t for it anymore. They have not built these rigs in 5 years. It is old warehouse stock they are bringing back out. You will be left with a 15. Losi has their own special bells. Stock top speed is 27 after the tooth change it was 19.
You done good work son.

I let it drive around slow for like a second
It takes at least a quart to barely break in a engine brother. Then comes the carb tuning. I highly suggest watching break in videos. Let me find a couple for you

It takes at least a quart to barely break in a engine brother. Then comes the carb tuning. I highly suggest watching break in videos. Let me find a couple for you
Ok one question it takes a lot of effort to pull the pull start is this normal?

You are not going to do any tuning till at least half a gallon. Watch both videos many times before you start it again.
Ok one question it takes a lot of effort to pull the pull start is this normal?
It's a new engine...yes that's why you want it to break in correctly. You can crack the glow plug slightly to release some of the pressure then once it starts tighten it up. Please follow this by the book or you will need a new motor soon.

You are not going to do any tuning till at least half a gallon. Watch both videos many times before you start it again.

It's a new engine...yes that's why you want it to break in correctly. You can crack the glow plug slightly to release some of the pressure then once it starts tighten it up. Please follow this by the book or you will need a new motor soon.
Another question Everytime that I start the motor it will stay idle for a little bit. But then it will stop even if I throttle it a little bit.
Another question Everytime that I start the motor it will stay idle for a little bit. But then it will stop even if I throttle it a little bit.
I found the problem my idle set screw had to be adjusted.

Last edited:
The idle screw has nothing to do with the engine dying when you give it throttle. The engine (.28 dynamite) came from the factory with preset needle settings (High Speed Needle, Low Speed Needle and Idle air gap), so that you could breaking in the motor at idle and that's it...Not to drive it, give it 1/2 throttle just because you like the sound...engine is set to run fat/rich to get the most oil out of the fuel to lubricate the bearings, seat the crankshaft to the bearings along with the piston and sleeve...heat cycle is to break in the piston and sleeve as a pairing match made from heaven using either running engine at idle or, do what's called an heat cycle because well, 1) nitro hates the cold 2) it makes it easier to start with the pull start...All this just to breakin the engine....
So, should've done a better proof reading, lol. The jiff is, break in the motor because it's new. I mean everything is new...break in the motor and then come back and I/we help you with tuning...

Last edited:
You are turning screws. I said no tuning. That screw is the quickest way to ruin it all. Stop thinking you got this because you don't. Not even close. People will run these for a year and still not know how to tune it. Chances are if it wasn't running steady its because it wasn't hot enough. Do you have a heat gun or a temp checker yet?

Last edited:
You are turning screws. I said no tuning. That screw is the quickest way to ruin it all. Stop thinking you got this because you don't. Not even close. People will run these for a year and still not know how to tune it. Chances are if it wasn't running steady its because it wasn't hot enough. Do you have a heat gun or a temp checker yet?
Yes
I preheat the engine to 200 degrees.

So as it's running I should keep hearing the engine
Yes.
You can wrap the head of the motor in a coozie with the end cut out to help hold the heat in while you are breaking it in, but keep an eye on temps so that you don't get too hot.

The heat will
1 help the fuel burn better.
2 ease the grab of the pinch at the top of the cylinder
3 allow for a slower break in which is what you want.
I can tell you how to break in an engine in 4 tanks but it will only last 5 gallons or less and run like crap after the first couple gallons.
Don't forget to make sure that piston is at the bottom when letting it cool.
You don't want to give any throttle for at least half a quart. Watch your temps like every 30 sec when breaking in. Always keep it between 200 and 220 always.

The heat will
1 help the fuel burn better.
2 ease the grab of the pinch at the top of the cylinder
3 allow for a slower break in which is what you want.
I can tell you how to break in an engine in 4 tanks but it will only last 5 gallons or less and run like crap after the first couple gallons.
Don't forget to make sure that piston is at the bottom when letting it cool.
You don't want to give any throttle for at least half a quart. Watch your temps like every 30 sec when breaking in. Always keep it between 200 and 220 always.
So I just put half a quart into it she and been keeping the temps around 200 to 210 degrees had to give it a rest tho because my neighbors started complaining.

So I just put half a quart into it she and been keeping the temps around 200 to 210 degrees had to give it a rest tho because my neighbors started complaining.
Really? That sucks.

Really? That sucks.
Yeah this nitro poop is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth cause my neighbors are pricks but then again it's probably due to this Corona virus crap so I can't blame them if they are struggling with this situation. Everyone is on edge these days.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back