Talion Can you start a nitro car without starter box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ERCM end bleed pipe on my savage with a mod. lrp .28 would drive my neighbors nuts Two blocks away. Brings back good memories. They will get over it.

Yeah this nitro poop is starting to put a bad taste in my mouth cause my neighbors are pricks but then again it's probably due to this Corona virus crap so I can't blame them if they are struggling with this situation. Everyone is on edge these days.
Nitro is not easy that is for sure, I really wish someone would make a 1/8th scale gas rc that actually works. HPI and Losi both tried and failed miserably at making a 1/8th scale gas vehicle. 2 stroke gas engines are usually a lot easier to use and gas is much cheaper than nitro.

Kind of comes with the territory of upsetting the neighbors with the Nitro you haven't even gotten into the RPMs yet if they think she is loud now LOL

Sounds like a weed eater!

I don't miss nitro at all. I did initially but it soon passed. It was such a giant pain in the ass for something that had half the torque and was way slower than lipo.

Nitro is not easy that is for sure, I really wish someone would make a 1/8th scale gas rc that actually works. HPI and Losi both tried and failed miserably at making a 1/8th scale gas vehicle. 2 stroke gas engines are usually a lot easier to use and gas is much cheaper than nitro.
Lol Losi still sells the gas kit for the 8ight https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-and-trucks/car-and-truck-engines/31-gas-engine-(51cc)-with-cdi:-8b--8t-dyne0506

BTW do not buy that it's a giant pos.

Sounds like a weed eater!

I don't miss nitro at all. I did initially but it soon passed. It was such a giant pain in the ass for something that had half the torque and was way slower than lipo.
Very true but this is something that I had to experience for myself and all I can say is don't be surprised if you see me posting pics of my losi eight t with a Max 6 and a 1900kv motor.

1/8 buggy racing nitro is still king. Electric is just ok in the of road racing world. In bashing electric is easy. Most of the time the people that like nitro electric, cant tune. Back to the subject, if you have a quart through your Losi and are hitting temps of 210 you should be good I don't know the sweet spot for that engine is, but 225 is where I ran nitro. Put it on the ground, use your heat gun, have fun.

1/8 buggy racing nitro is still king. Electric is just ok in the of road racing world. In bashing electric is easy. Most of the time the people that like nitro electric, cant tune. Back to the subject, if you have a quart through your Losi and are hitting temps of 210 you should be good I don't know the sweet spot for that engine is, but 225 is where I ran nitro. Put it on the ground, use your heat gun, have fun.
I will keep your wisdom in mind I have half a quart left once I'm done with class I'm gonna start to finish off the rest of it.

Very true but this is something that I had to experience for myself and all I can say is don't be surprised if you see me posting pics of my losi eight t with a Max 6 and a 1900kv motor.
Won't take it. I blow diff up with the blx185 system.
I will keep your wisdom in mind I have half a quart left once I'm done with class I'm gonna start to finish off the rest of it.
Once you get a quart done. Inbox me and I will walk you through the rest. It isn't hard to tune you just have to understand how the engine works.

I have a losi 8ight t but my starter box that I got was a dude?now I'm just trying to figure out a way on how to get this thing rolling in order so I can break it in.
I have 2 nitros and a starter box is the best IMO. Convenient, But, you need a good one that is not cheap. I HATE pull starters. Been there. Was always fixing my buddies.
If you can mount a rubber wheel to a strong and fast drill that does work. (y) Bump start the flywheel. Any other attempt requires useless modding. Which I think is not what you want at this point.
Try troubleshooting that first?
Curious, what's wrong with your starter box???? Alignment to the flywheel, slow power, SB motor just dead or Battery issue?

That losi 8ight requires the race motor mount to bump start it. 2 to 3 pulls to start it is common on that engine. Just make sure you seal the carb lock. They leak a lot and make tuning a headache

Here's the parts you need for your engine to use a starter box. Even then, depending on what starter box you have, you might have to do modifications to it to work properly...

Attachments

• 15856928676093777488966824536448.jpg
    15856928676093777488966824536448.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 30
I remember my first nitro it made me angry. I was doing the first idle tank and there was this noise and the engine stopped. I was like Dafuq was that. Long story short the clutch spring snapped.... My LHS didn't have any the right size and I had to wait another week to get a new one..... After I fixed that I couldn't get it to start, I double checked the needle settings (the lsn was a giant pain in the rear to get to, you basically needed a right angle screwdriver) then gave the lsn a min turn and she fired right up. After I finally get the motor all broke in I fill up the tank start er up let it idle for a min then took of across the lawn and right into a water shutoff valve that was sticking up out of the ground about 3 inches?‍♂️ broke the steering rack, front bulkhead, front shock tower and the front chassis........thank goodness for Dollar Hobbyz.
20160229_000930.jpg
20160229_000952.jpg
20160229_001148.jpg

I remember my first nitro it made me angry. I was doing the first idle tank and there was this noise and the engine stopped. I was like Dafuq was that. Long story short the clutch spring snapped.... My LHS didn't have any the right size and I had to wait another week to get a new one..... After I fixed that I couldn't get it to start, I double checked the needle settings (the lsn was a giant pain in the rear to get to, you basically needed a right angle screwdriver) then gave the lsn a min turn and she fired right up. After I finally get the motor all broke in I fill up the tank start er up let it idle for a min then took of across the lawn and right into a water shutoff valve that was sticking up out of the ground about 3 inches?‍♂️ broke the steering rack, front bulkhead, front shock tower and the front chassis........thank goodness for Dollar Hobbyz.
View attachment 72543View attachment 72545View attachment 72546
Sounds like good memories

It takes at least a quart to barely break in a engine brother. Then comes the carb tuning. I highly suggest watching break in videos. Let me find a couple for you
Adam Drake is the KING ...my idol. Follow his lead. Nitro is his specialty. But knows everything RC. He tunes and does break-ins for all the US pros at some point. Takes a gallon before any Nitro engine performs its best. He also is a ranked driver. Love this guy. Helps so many out shares his info. Even has his own proven way to break in an engine without any fuel at all. Guy is Hardcore. But only touches High end engines. IMO.
That losi 8ight requires the race motor mount to bump start it. 2 to 3 pulls to start it is common on that engine. Just make sure you seal the carb lock. They leak a lot and make tuning a headache
Air leaks at the carb. cinch neck is always an overlooked area. Air leak...You can pull your hair out. Great point. (y) (y) :cool:

Last edited:
Adam Drake is the KING ...my idol. Follow his lead. Nitro is his specialty. But knows everything RC. He tunes and does break-ins for all the US pros at some point. Takes a gallon before any Nitro engine performs its best. He also is a ranked driver. Love this guy. Helps so many out shares his info. Even has his own proven way to break in an engine without any fuel at all. Guy is Hardcore. But only touches High end engines. IMO.

Air leaks at the carb. cinch neck is always an overlooked area. Air leak...You can pull your hair out. Great point. (y) (y) :cool:
I remember watching him when he was a kid lol. But yes @talion newbie 248 break in is no where near done yet lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back