My 1480 kV is getting hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 1260kv in my kraton.
1350kv in my MT410.
1550kv in Talion.
1260kv in Fireteam.
1200kv in SBR.

All on 6S, all fast as hell, and all run plenty cool. His 1480kv is perfectly fine.
Apparently it isn't, else he wouldn't be here asking why his motor is hot. :LOL:
But seriously, if your argument is that I am wrong because you feel like your cars are "fast as hell" and "plenty cool", I give up. (y)

I think 6 50mm fans stacked on that motor should solve his heating issues 🤣🤣🤣
One of these will be plenty..then you can run any gear ratio you like 😁👍..my advice is free of charge.its on the house🤣
Maybe a few of these will do the trick :eek::
Delta 40mmx56mm 30krpm 3.25A

You are free to do so, but on 6s the motor is not even going to be spinning at 37k rpm, more like 30k under load.
That’s far from optimal and is causing his heat issues.

Motor spins too slow, he gears up, motor pulls more amps than it should, it gets hot.
Problem is, nothing is "optimal" in a BL motor. They are all regulated by an ESC and the voltage changes at all times. Sure, Amps pulled create heat but so will more volts, it will still be under load. I've done that "test" before. The only difference is you won't be pulling more throttle to get the speeds it had on 6s, still creating heat.

Fans won't do squat but give you a bad temp reading as they only cool off the outside of the can while the internals are still screaming hot. The BEST thing to keep your temps in check are:

Gearing properly.
Running in reasonable weather.
Understanding that things heat up.

Apparently it isn't, else he wouldn't be here asking why his motor is hot. :LOL:
But seriously, if your argument is that I am wrong because you feel like your cars are "fast as hell" and "plenty cool", I give up. (y)

Maybe a few of these will do the trick :eek::
Delta 40mmx56mm 30krpm 3.25A
Perfect choice.😁👍.now we can all move on to the next thread 😁
Problem is, nothing is "optimal" in a BL motor. They are all regulated by an ESC and the voltage changes at all times. Sure, Amps pulled create heat but so will more volts, it will still be under load. I've done that "test" before. The only difference is you won't be pulling more throttle to get the speeds it had on 6s, still creating heat.

Fans won't do squat but give you a bad temp reading as they only cool off the outside of the can while the internals are still screaming hot. The BEST thing to keep your temps in check are:

Gearing properly.
Running in reasonable weather.
Understanding that things heat up.
And don't forget to run fans😁👍

Last edited:
Most applications with heat issues/concerns are undergeared and they're constantly forcing the motor to operate near max RPM. Overgear and use your ESC to put the motor in a better powerband for efficient temps. If your ESC/Power-Supply can't handle the amp draw, they'll let you know from heat/thermal.

My Surpass hobby motors don't have thermal cut until 105C and perform best between 70-80C.

How do I know they perform better? GPS speed testing and an IR temp laser or Telemetry...

But seriously, if your argument is that I am wrong because you feel like your cars are "fast as hell" and "plenty cool", I give up. 👍
Several people here are running the 1480kv/Max6 setup and happy with temps and overall performance so I don't see how its too low.
It would make sense if everyone running that setup had heat issues.

Most applications with heat issues/concerns are undergeared and they're constantly forcing the motor to operate near max RPM. Overgear and use your ESC to put the motor in a better powerband for efficient temps. If your ESC/Power-Supply can't handle the amp draw, they'll let you know from heat/thermal.

My Surpass hobby motors don't have thermal cut until 105C and perform best between 70-80C.

How do I know they perform better? GPS speed testing and an IR temp laser or Telemetry...
I don't even know how to reply to that o_O
That would be good advice for someone who wants short runtimes, hot lipos and a burned up ESC though.
Several people here are running the 1480kv/Max6 setup and happy with temps and overall performance so I don't see how its too low.
It would make sense if everyone running that setup had heat issues.

I run that combo too, and it sucks on 6s. Now what?

These are toys so do whatever you want :giggle:

I've never seen anyone run a big power setup in a large 1/8 scale, with aggressive gearing and not run into heat issues. There's simply just no way that you're going to be able to pull a few thousand watts through a motor and not have it get hot.

As said above, if you want to run cooler, gear down or put some fans up. You can check for lazy or dying bearings as a side measure to ensure that your motor is not doing extra work and generating waste heat. I ran 22t gearing on my kraton on a 1650kv 4092, and it was sufficiently cooled with 2x 40mm rocket fans. I ended up dropping down to a 20t i think, just because it was a bit much and I wanted a little more torque.

Lol. That’s fair. My response was purely anecdotal. I do have data logs saved from most of my runs if you’d like more details.

That said, I still think it’s relevant that I do not run into heat issues with similar setups, which is why I shared after you claimed his kv is the problem. He is running hot because of over-gearing, no fans, and/or hard driving. He’s not running hot because of the motor kv. IMO.

Sounds like you disagree, which is fine.

Lol. That’s fair. My response was purely anecdotal. I do have data logs saved from most of my runs if you’d like more details.

That said, I still think it’s relevant that I do not run into heat issues with similar setups, which is why I shared after you claimed his kv is the problem. He is running hot because of over-gearing, no fans, and/or hard driving. He’s not running hot because of the motor kv. IMO.

Sounds like you disagree, which is fine.
All good, I admit I like to be a bit confrontational at times, sorry bout that 😅

There are so many variables when it comes to RC cars, it’s probably best to do some trial and error.

@King blitz I knew you‘d come back 😁👌
Is it me or does it seem like this thread is getting heated up 🤣🤣.it's 🥵 up here geez.
just a friendly chat between toy-lovers 😂.

I am actually driving my Max6/1500kv 4092 right now…on 6s 😆

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 30
All good, I admit I like to be a bit confrontational at times, sorry bout that 😅

There are so many variables when it comes to RC cars, it’s probably best to do some trial and error.

Haha it's great to be here..thank you ,thank you..enjoy your max6 bud 😁👍

Those are some nice fans you got there👍

If you want to play with big boy motors, you gotta have a robust ESC and power supply. Using RTR electronics and Amazon batteries will just end up poorly for most.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back