Motor/esc selection - HobbyWing vs Castle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMDUK

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon TLR
Quite frequently the response is: HobbyWing for Bashing, Castle for speed.

Often, there’s next to nothing given to back up / justify this statement.

Can anyone provide and rationale or clarification?

Thanks.

David

Hobbywing will literally stop you from going faster because they limit the amount of amps in the esc for protection. Castle kinda doesn't and can support higher amps. Hobbywing seems to be more durable, at least max5 vs xlx2. Castle also has more options that are tunable in the esc settings. It's more finicky though, where the hobbywing while having fewer options typically just works.

I say all that as someone who prefers castle.

The most important question/answer for you is... As you're in the UK Castle stuff is just too expensive vs Hobbywing..!!

I run a mix of Castle and Hobbywing and I find that box stock Hobbywing combos like the Max8, Max6, Max5 work fine for the money they cost.
Most of my Castle ESC's are paired with TpPower motors, I only have one on road speed car and that's Castle/TP, everything else is off-road and runs a mix of both brands..!!

As @Moirae said above, the Castle has more settings and tweekability than the Hobbywing's....
I have no experience with the XLX2 as it's just too expensive in the UK..!!🤣 (also no need for one)

I know the new Hobbywing Max8 G2/G3 combo has just gone down in price in the UK and is now a no brainier if you want a Max8 sized combo, it also has more tuning options than before, if you buy the wifi module you can adjust/set/update the ESC with your phone..!!

I've just bought the wifi module and will report here on the forum once I've got the hang of it..👍🏼😎

Just based on word of mouth HW is the more rugged and durable of the two. I'm as certain as I can be that, if HW & Castle were to open up their data on RMAs, we would find that the numbers support my inference from anectdotal evidence.

When trying to figure out what the best product is for any given application, I find it instructive to look at the best performers in whatever application we're talking about and look for patterns in what they're using in terms of hardware. Just based on the fact that all of the top speed runners in the world are running Castle ESCs (primarily the XLX2) is enough to convince me that they are the ESC of choice when it comes to speed running. As much money as those guys have invested in their cars you can bet your bottom dollar that if HW were even remotely competitive, you'd see more people using them.

The Max4 is the odd one out being the only ESC that has any real speed running potential from the HW camp (this is primarily due to the fact that it is capable of 12S operation which opens up new possibilities that aren't available to Castle ESC users) but it does suffer from two major drawbacks: size & cost. No Max4 powered car has even come close to the numbers the XLX2 routinely puts up and the ESC is considerably larger. Additionally, if you're going to run 12S (and let's be honest, why wouldn't you) your batteries are going to take up more space as well so, this ESC is really limited to 1/7 scale GT builds and 1/5 scale. As a comparison, @LibertyMKiii has fit an XLX2 into the Rlaarlo AK-917 (granted, the body needed to be raised a little but, for all intents and purposes, it's in there). The $410-450 price tag of the Max4 further complicates matters compared to the $250 you play for an XLX2, reducing its attractivity making it a niche of a niche industry product.

While I have yet to try a HW ESC (though, one could argue, I actually have inasmuch as the Spektrum ESCs are rebranded HW ESCs with different FW, I'm just trying to be precise about my language). Castle ESCs will push through tall gearing long after any HW would have thrown in the towel had you tried the same car setup with one of their ESCs. When it comes to speed running, there is no argument or debate to be had: Castle is King and, more specifically, the XLX2 is in a class of one. No other ESC on the market even operates on the same planet as the XLX2, especially not at that price point. Is it perfect? No. Does it have flaws? Sure. But, to my mind, those pale in significance to the bang for the buck you're getting. It has the added bonus of featuring really useful recording and display of telemtry data which is an amazing tool for any speed runner who is serious about the undertaking. There's probably a case to be made for MGM ESCs but, to put it in perspective, the MGM ESCs you'd be looking at for competitive speed running will set you back the equivalent of four XLX2s. Depending on the options you choose, possibly more.

I hope that this scratches your back up/justification itch. :)

I have 4 rigs now with castle mmx8s systems. 3 with 1717 and one with 2028 motors (xmaxx) I only bash and they have been fantastic. I have used the castle support and warranty and they have been nothing short of fantastic.

I haven’t used HW but I could t be happier with the castle systems so I keep going back.

I am in the fortunate (unfortunate?) situation where I have more money than time so I stick with what works. I don’t want to set time aside to go out bashing with my kids and end up broken down, wasting an afternoon.

For what I do HW would probably work fine, however castle has proven itself to me, but YMMV.

Just based on word of mouth HW is the more rugged and durable of the two. I'm as certain as I can be that, if HW & Castle were to open up their data on RMAs, we would find that the numbers support my inference from anectdotal evidence.

When trying to figure out what the best product is for any given application, I find it instructive to look at the best performers in whatever application we're talking about and look for patterns in what they're using in terms of hardware. Just based on the fact that all of the top speed runners in the world are running Castle ESCs (primarily the XLX2) is enough to convince me that they are the ESC of choice when it comes to speed running. As much money as those guys have invested in their cars you can bet your bottom dollar that if HW were even remotely competitive, you'd see more people using them.

The Max4 is the odd one out being the only ESC that has any real speed running potential from the HW camp (this is primarily due to the fact that it is capable of 12S operation which opens up new possibilities that aren't available to Castle ESC users) but it does suffer from two major drawbacks: size & cost. No Max4 powered car has even come close to the numbers the XLX2 routinely puts up and the ESC is considerably larger. Additionally, if you're going to run 12S (and let's be honest, why wouldn't you) your batteries are going to take up more space as well so, this ESC is really limited to 1/7 scale GT builds and 1/5 scale. As a comparison, @LibertyMKiii has fit an XLX2 into the Rlaarlo AK-917 (granted, the body needed to be raised a little but, for all intents and purposes, it's in there). The $410-450 price tag of the Max4 further complicates matters compared to the $250 you play for an XLX2, reducing its attractivity making it a niche of a niche industry product.

While I have yet to try a HW ESC (though, one could argue, I actually have inasmuch as the Spektrum ESCs are rebranded HW ESCs with different FW, I'm just trying to be precise about my language). Castle ESCs will push through tall gearing long after any HW would have thrown in the towel had you tried the same car setup with one of their ESCs. When it comes to speed running, there is no argument or debate to be had: Castle is King and, more specifically, the XLX2 is in a class of one. No other ESC on the market even operates on the same planet as the XLX2, especially not at that price point. Is it perfect? No. Does it have flaws? Sure. But, to my mind, those pale in significance to the bang for the buck you're getting. It has the added bonus of featuring really useful recording and display of telemtry data which is an amazing tool for any speed runner who is serious about the undertaking. There's probably a case to be made for MGM ESCs but, to put it in perspective, the MGM ESCs you'd be looking at for competitive speed running will set you back the equivalent of four XLX2s. Depending on the options you choose, possibly more.

Man I'm sitting here now debating on getting a rovan f5 1/5th scale on road ripper and putting in a max 4 or an xlx2. I kind of want at least one 12s rig but a part of me is thinking "do I really need all of that?"

Man I'm sitting here now debating on getting a rovan f5 1/5th scale on road ripper and putting in a max 4 or an xlx2. I kind of want at least one 12s rig but a part of me is thinking "do I really need all of that?"
Easy fix. Just reorganize your life around the things that you want instead of the things that you need...presto chango. BOOM! Rovan in da house.

The most important question/answer for you is... As you're in the UK Castle stuff is just too expensive vs Hobbywing..!!

I run a mix of Castle and Hobbywing and I find that box stock Hobbywing combos like the Max8, Max6, Max5 work fine for the money they cost.
Most of my Castle ESC's are paired with TpPower motors, I only have one on road speed car and that's Castle/TP, everything else is off-road and runs a mix of both brands..!!

As @Moirae said above, the Castle has more settings and tweekability than the Hobbywing's....
I have no experience with the XLX2 as it's just too expensive in the UK..!!🤣 (also no need for one)

I know the new Hobbywing Max8 G2/G3 combo has just gone down in price in the UK and is now a no brainier if you want a Max8 sized combo, it also has more tuning options than before, if you buy the wifi module you can adjust/set/update the ESC with your phone..!!

I've just bought the wifi module and will report here on the forum once I've got the hang of it..👍🏼😎
Thanks. Yes, agree on the cost difference. But, I do like the idea of sensored motors and the data download from the Castle system (Nerdy/Geeky data desires!). I have the Max 6 and the MMX8s combos both in my online wishlist waiting for me to make the descision.

Thanks DT - I'm starting to rely on you to provide detailed and useful replies to my questions!!!
(y)
I didn't know that Spektrum ESCs were rebranded HW products... thanks for that. After reading your post I found the ESC rebrand post here which I found interesting.

So, there are some positives towards Castle for speed runs... are there any negatives for using Castle for general driving / bashing?

Last edited:
I do like the idea of sensored motors and the data download from the Castle system (Nerdy/Geeky data desires!).
Forgot to say, the new Hobbywing Max8 is now sensored and slightly more powerful at 160A..👍🏼

All valid points 👍🏼

Also I believe that living in the USA is a big benefit if you run Castle as distribution in the UK is awful, never mind warranty etc..!!

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, agree on the cost difference. But, I do like the idea of sensored motors and the data download from the Castle system (Nerdy/Geeky data desires!). I have the Max 6 and the MMX8s combos both in my online wishlist waiting for me to make the descision.

Thanks DT - I'm starting to rely on you to provide detailed and useful replies to my questions!!!
(y)
I didn't know that Spektrum ESCs were rebranded HW products... thanks for that. After reading your post I found the ESC rebrand post here which I found interesting.

So, there are some positives towards Castle for speed runs... are there any negatives for using Castle for general driving / bashing?
The only thing a max6 does better than an mmx8s is price. literally looses in every other category lol. it's only a contender because it's cheaper and for majority of people it's good enough.

There is an electric roller!
My wallet says-"I curse your reply!!!" :ROFLMAO:

So i have 3 words for you...

greta-how-dare-you.gif

I run only Castle in all my 4s rigs. Anything less than 6s seems to cog more when not using a sensored setup since I like to have tall gearing. I use HW max6 in all my 6s rigs.

Mind you, I can run 6s in any of my "4s" rigs since all my 4s use the Castle MMX which can handle 6s, but I only run 4s in them.

Primarily HW user here.

Have had good luck with them considering.

Max8/Max6/Max5 and rebranded Spektrum.

Even the 10BL60 that came in the Redcat Volcano is still going after 20 packs.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back