Castle Link (mobile) "Switch to Drive Mode"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stock20

Reaction score
What is the purpose of this button? How is it different than "disconnect"? When I select it, the XLX2 boots up my driving profile, but then what?

Bluetooth connection is already very poor standing 2ft away, vehicle at a standstill. Is "Drive Mode" actually intended to maintain a connection while driving high-speed at a distance?

Normally I'd just try it out and see, but I'm afraid what happens when Bluetooth connection is inevitably lost. (Does it default to full power and ignore radio commands? 😉)

While I don't have the answer to your question, I can with 100% certainty say that it is not for maintaining a connection while driving as BT's range is, under the best of conditions, 30ft but that's not going to happen with a paired device moving around at 30, 80, 100mph.

I've never used the BT dongle/app myself so I'm not terribly much help...although I feel confident in answering your last question with a definite maybe. Hopefully, when the others have awakened from their slumber, at least one of them will know what you're on about and what it is/does.

Adieu et bonne chance!

I think the BlueTooth connection is only for changing the ESC settings. You can't actually drive the car under this. If you're using the app on your phone you should see the difference. Switching to "Drive Mode" actually makes the car run and when you switch to it the ESC should boot up (jingle tone) and then you hear the beeps telling you how many cells you're running (6 beeps is 6S for example). The fan should cut on for a few seconds also.

I think the BlueTooth connection is only for changing the ESC settings. You can't actually drive the car under this. If you're using the app on your phone you should see the difference. Switching to "Drive Mode" actually makes the car run and when you switch to it the ESC should boot up (jingle tone) and then you hear the beeps telling you how many cells you're running (6 beeps is 6S for example). The fan should cut on for a few seconds also.
Hi, thanks. This is the part that's confusing. I hear the same boot up jingle whether I tap "Disconnect" or "Switch to Drive Mode".

I would need to test, but your response gave me an idea - I've noticed that every time I bring up the app it always shows the ESC as 'not found'. But when I select it anyway, it gives an option to Connect (which disables motor/permits settings change). I'm thinking if I were to choose Drive Mode instead of Disconnect, the app may keep scanning in background. And when I next pull up the app it may say something other than 'not found'.

My other thought was Drive Mode is meant for some sort of telemetry reporting function I simply don't use (other than normal logging).

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back