Castle MMX 8S with TP Power 3640-6400 SCM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I need some help with the setup. It's a Castle MMX 8S with TP Power 3640-6400 SCM. What I'm seeing is that I going forwards and reverse the throttle for brakes, it just does full reverse. Then it stalls for a few seconds until it responds again. i.e. no braking function but full reverse.

The motor appears to be calibrated.
1687301614109.png

The MMX8S firmware is v2.13, should have fixed any issues with high Kv delta wound motors.
1687301472754.png

These are the ESC settings with respect throttle and brake.
Brake Amount: 50% (*)
Drag Brake Ramp: Disabled (Instantaneous) (*)
Drag Brake: 0.0%, Disabled (*)
Full Forward: 3800
Full Reverse: 2200
Max Power: 100% (*)
Motor Type: Smart Sense™ Brushless (*), Checkbox: False
Neutral: 3000
Punch Control: 0%, Disabled (*)
Reverse Percentage: 10%
Reverse Type: With Reverse (*)
Sensorless Motor Timing: Normal (10) (*)
Start Power: Low (*)
Throttle Dead Band: Average (0.1000 ms) (*)

The brake curve is linear.
1687301864657.png

Even with the reverse at 10% it just spins out with a tiny bit of throttle.

Thoughts, comments, hold your beer while you try something?

If I'm understanding you correctly I think you need to reverse throttle on radio and mess around with motor rotation.

If I'm understanding you correctly I think you need to reverse throttle on radio and mess around with motor rotation.
Huh? It goes the right direction, but there are no brakes.

How fast does it go in reverse?
Wicked fast. Basically uncontrollable and just spins out.

At 10% reverse speed as your settings say, it shouldn't be fast in reverse. You need to reverse motor rotation through the esc and then reverse the throttle on you controller so you are going forward again.

that's what I said! 🤣

just because it goes in the right direction doesn't means it's right. it's weird but I'd bet money that's your problem and you should recalibrate after you fix it. try swapping 2 motor wires and reverse throttle on radio.

that's what I said! 🤣

just because it goes in the right direction doesn't means it's right. it's weird but I'd bet money that's your problem and you should recalibrate after you fix it. try swapping 2 motor wires and reverse throttle on radio.
I knew what you were saying so I tried to word it differently 🤣🤣🤣 gonna get him fixed up between the two of us 😉🤣
@Moirae don't castle and tp motors spin opposite direction by default? I've had to do same thing after switching motor brands

I knew what you were saying so I tried to word it differently 🤣🤣🤣 gonna get him fixed up between the two of us 😉🤣
@Moirae don't castle and tp motors spin opposite direction by default? I've had to do same thing after switching motor brands

I can try swapping the motor wires and reversing the transmitter, but I'm not sure what that will do? It's not a sensored motor so the direction is relative.

I dunno tbh but I know I've had to do some switcharoo stuff in the past. I thought it had to do with my radiolink but I wasn't sure. :ROFLMAO:

@Jerold I'm not sure how to explain it other than it's like your esc is really not going the right way and your radio is tricking it into thinking it's going the right way. I think thats basically whats happening but obviously on a more technical level than that lol.

You can actually find a lot of posts on here with people complaining that their throttle is weak and reverse is strong. I believe you're experiencing the same thing.

I can try swapping the motor wires and reversing the transmitter, but I'm not sure what that will do? It's not a sensored motor so the direction is relative.

What radio are you running? It seems like in most aftermarket radios you need the throttle in the reverse setting with used with Castle ESCs.

What it sounds like is happening right now is that your ESC is driving forward in reverse mode, so there is no brake. Then when you move the throttle to the brake side on the transmitter it thinks it's going forward finally and skipped the braking function completely.

Hopefully, we are right on this otherwise I don't think there is a fix.

What radio are you running? It seems like in most aftermarket radios you need the throttle in the reverse setting with used with Castle ESCs.

What it sounds like is happening right now is that your ESC is driving forward in reverse mode, so there is no brake. Then when you move the throttle to the brake side on the transmitter it thinks it's going forward finally and skipped the braking function completely.

Hopefully, we are right on this otherwise I don't think there is a fix.
It's a RadioLink RC6GS. It runs forwards on my limitless with XLX2 and 1717.

I'm going to try to test it out tonight and see what happens.

Setting up my MMX8s/tp motor/rc6gs last weekend, I also had to go into the transmitter and change throttle to reverse. I’m guessing and hoping for you that that’s all it is.

I just tried it out an that's 100% correct.

What puzzles me is that it's an uncensored motor, which I've never run before, but everyone says to swap two wires if it runs backwards. Anyway the remote is reversed now and it's running much better and best of all the brakes work.

I tried reversing the motor in the Castle Link and the throttle as normal on the TX, but it went back to the old behavior.

Strange.... Very strange. Must be a non-sensored thing?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back