TP Power motors. Please explain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warby

"Hurry up and wait"
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. ADX-10
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Infraction 4x4
So I now have a new Limitless V2 that needs a power plant. I started researching TP motors but I now have more questions before I hand over my cash and order it from overseas. It's by far the most I will have spent on a motor or any individual RC part in fact, so I want to ensure I get it right. Could someone please educate me?

I will be running up to 8s and be using it for speed runs. I'm looking at the 4070cm as it seems to be a fan favourite.

My Questions:
Vented or not for this application?
5mm or 8mm shaft?
Whats CM, SVM, SCM and regular series?
What kv would you recommend? 2200kv?

Thanks

KV/motor size depends on many things, for example:
Your goal: maximum speed / drag / streetbashing
Voltage: 6S , 8S , 12S
What esc are you running? (amps capability and voltage)

4070CM-2200kv is a good starter for 6/8S speedrunning, But i wouldnt advise it if your running a regular spectrum esc

KV/motor size depends on many things, for example:
Your goal: maximum speed / drag / streetbashing
Voltage: 6S , 8S , 12S
What esc are you running? (amps capability and voltage)

4070CM-2200kv is a good starter for 6/8S speedrunning, But i wouldnt advise it if your running a regular spectrum esc
8s, 140mph will be my first goal but not limited to.
I haven't decided on an ESC yet. XLX2 or MAX5. If funds allow I'll get the XLX2.

Just seen this
Screenshot_20231023_060336_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Vented cans are for clean environments. Open/vented cans get dirty real quick, but they run way cooler. It's a tradeoff. Most get the sealed can motors. I believe Vented ones were special order last I heard. Not common. . CM I heard is the top one. They are hand made by an outside TP source last I heard. Costing more.
What happened to the USA TP distributor??
They disappeared?

8s, speed.
I haven't decided on an ESC yet. XLX2 or MAX5. If funds allow I'll get the XLX2.
XLX2 allows insane amps up to 8S.
4070CM-2200kv / 4080CM-2022kv. If you decide to go big instead (a 56mm can), keep your kv below 1460 as high rpms on a 6 pole motor could give some troubles.

Max5 (g2) allows max 250A up to 12S. Capped at 40k rpm at 8S (assuming the G2 still have a hard rpm cap as before)
I'd consider to go for a non-cm (amp hungry/run hotter) thus a regular 4070-1520kv. It will save you some money. With voltage sag/efficiency/gearing it will top out around 40k rpm and will pull everything a max5 has to offer.

vented vs sealed. For low dust environments you could go for vented, but most indeed use sealed. Vented are good and more common in rc boats.

Bigger TP motors are always 8mm on the inside. 5mm ones have the end milled down. 8mm is stronger and you can use the same gears as on the spool. Also 34T+ pinions on 5mm are less common.

Thanks guys. Some great info there. 👍 I got some thinking to do.

Last edited:
FWIW, I’d go with what some of the pros are saying about sealed or vented. When I think speed run, I get tunnel vision with the most perfect, immaculately paved dream road I can think of. I know there are some roads naturally close to that perfect road as well. They do exist 👀 But, every RC’r will rip it up and down their nasty a$$ street a few times thus getting stuff dirty.. don’t lie..

On the flip, I can’t think of any speed runner that gets up and says “self, I want to find the filthiest, raunchiest, nastiest road to go 180 down with a 3k RC car”…

NawwhudI’msay’n?

FWIW, I’d go with what some of the pros are saying about sealed or vented. When I think speed run, I get tunnel vision with the most perfect, immaculately paved dream road I can think of. I know there are some roads naturally close to that perfect road as well. They do exist 👀 But, every RC’r will rip it up and down their nasty a$$ street a few times thus getting stuff dirty.. don’t lie..

On the flip, I can’t think of any speed runner that gets up and says “self, I want to find the filthiest, raunchiest, nastiest road to go 180 down with a 3k RC car”…

NawwhudI’msay’n?
Yep. I'mpickingupwhatyou'reputtingdown. 😆

Looks like if I go bigger that 4060 I don't have a option. They are all sealed.

Even with the cleanest roads, I always get a dusty chassis. Dust Ingress into motors is not good. Boat motors generally run hot despite them being water cooled..enclosed sealed Hull etc. I could see an advantage with vented motors there. And if the motor gets wet, it can dry out easily when vented. When a sealed motor's Can ingresses moisture and water, it gets bricked, if you don't open it up and clean it out, drying immediately.

XLX2 allows insane amps up to 8S.
4070CM-2200kv / 4080CM-2022kv.
Does the 4080 (117mm long) fit in the 110mm motor space on the V2 limitless?

Are you sure that wasn’t in V1?
Possibly. But doesn't the V1 have less motor space? IDK. I'm only new to the limitless platform.

Possibly. But doesn't the V1 have less motor space? IDK. I'm only new to the limitless platform.
The V1 Limitless has limited (ha!) motor space in stock configuration, so it was popular to flip the motor mount and get basically unlimited motor space.

That’s what I did with mine:

IMG_9123.jpeg

The V1 Limitless has limited (ha!) motor space in stock configuration, so it was popular to flip the motor mount and get basically unlimited motor space.

That’s what I did with mine:

View attachment 328099
I see, I see. That's probably what I saw.

I see, I see. That's probably what I saw.
I bet you could flip the mount on the V2 as well and fit that 117mm motor. But I’m not 100% sure since I don’t have a V2.

Have you considered the Castle 1721? That would fit in the stock location and should be able to compete with those TPs. I’m no expert though.

I bet you could flip the mount on the V2 as well and fit that 117mm motor. But I’m not 100% sure since I don’t have a V2.

Have you considered the Castle 1721? That would fit in the stock location and should be able to compete with those TPs. I’m no expert though.
I haven't ruled out a Castle motor. Still researching.

I haven't ruled out a Castle motor. Still researching.
The 1721 is a very nice motor too. It being sensored and better on crawling speeds it's defininately better in turning it around at the end of your speedrun. High geared TP's can be a bit clumsy and that doesn't help when it's far away and radio latency plays part too.

In my experience TP motors have a little extra at the top-end, but almost neglectable.
(In europe the 1721 is a very expensive motor though)

I have a V1 with a flipped configuration. If you say the v2 has 110mm in stock configuration a 4080 indeed won't fit without flipping it. I made the 4080 suggestion based on this thread, but only scanned it quickly:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-new-v2-limitless-max-size-lipos-150mm.54201/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back