Kraton Charger suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony86

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
hello everyone , looking at chargers .. sorry new to the hobby ...
  • Venom quad duo
  • Hitec x4
  • Hitec x700
Looking for a machine that can charge 6s batteries fast, stored etc.. What would u buy out of these options??...

Another recent thread on chargers for 6s -
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/chargers-what-should-i-buy.5692/

While all three of you choices are generally good chargers, for 6s, you need big power - 150w per channel minimum, so that knocks off the first two off your list.

(Below is from the post I quoted)

For 6s batteries, getting a charger that can run big watts is important. Most people want to charge at 1c or better. When we do the math -

For a 5000mah 6s, 22.2v pack -
1c= 5a
5 * 22.2 = 111w needed.

That is for 1c (one hour) charging. Personally, I often charge at 2c (30 minute charge) and so the wattage doubles - 230w for 2c charging of a 5000mah 6s pack.

For the folks that run that big SMC 7400 6s pack, 1C is 7.4, 165 watts, and 2c (half hour) charging jumps to 15a, 330w! To look at this another way, charging this 7400mah 6s pack on a common 50w charger will take 3-4 hours.

If you know that you will be running 6s (and 4s too) you really want to make sure the charger can push the wattage.

Also, when shopping multi-channel charger, make sure the wattage listed is PER CHANNEL. I have seen some of 4 channel chargers that are listed as "200 Watts" - but that is total across all 4 channels - each channel can only run 50W. Also, there seems to be a bunch of 2 channel chargers that are 100W "power sharing" chargers - they can do one channel up to 100w, but the other channel only gets the left-over power, not the full 100w... i.e. channel 1 needs 75w, then channel 2 can only use 25w.

Last - don't buy a charger planning on running it at max wattage all the time - you will eventually overheat it and kill it. Give your self a safety buffer. If you need 100w, buy a 120w charger. If you need 200w, buy 300w. As a good rule, you want a 20% spare buffer for your 'normal' charging. Running up to max every now an again is not a problem, but 100% use at 100% output will shorten the life of any piece of equipment.

How does this effect real life bashing?

Two guys put a battery on to charge at the same time. Guy #1 has a 300w 20a charger, and charges at 2c - 10 amps / 230w. ,#2 has a 50w, 5a charger, that can only charge at 2.2a, 50w, for a charge time of over 2 hours.. Guy #1 can charge, drive to the park, bash and LVC the battery, then drive home. Gut #2's battery is still charging, and #1 is doing post bashing cleanup.

One more example - my son and I want to go to the track. I say OK, let's go, and drop 2 batteries on the charger at 2c, then start loading my truck... (Track days I pack the workbench) 30 minutes later, the truck is packed, and one battery for each of us is charged. We get to the track, unpack, drop another pair of batteries on the charger at 2c, and go race / track bash. Our batteries last 20-30 minutes, guess what? Battery #1 is LVC, and Battery #2 is ready. We can spend all day at the track, and are pretty much never waiting on batteries to charge. With 3 sets of batteries (6 total), they get a 'rest' cycle between LVC and charge, so they don't get overstressed. Plus, my charger is running at 50% output, so it is not stressed either.

Last edited:
thank you woodie and Jerry. for your replies.

and I see your point jerry, that example help a lot.

While all three of you choices are generally good chargers, for 6s, you need big power - 150w per channel minimum, so that knocks off the first two off your list.

For 6s batteries, getting a charger that can run big watts is important. Most people want to charge at 1c or better. When we do the math -

1c= 5a

5 * 22.2 = 111w needed.

That is for 1c (one hour) charging. Personally, I often charge at 2c (30 minute charge) and so the wattage doubles - 230w for 2c charging of a 5000mah 6s pack.

For the folks that run that big SMC 7400 6s pack, 1C is 7.4, 165 watts, and 2c (half hour) charging jumps to 15a, 330w! To look at this another way, charging this 7400mah 6s pack on a common 50w charger will take 3-4 hours.

If you know that you will be running 6s (and 4s too) you really want to make sure the charger can push the wattage.

Also, when shopping multi-channel charger, make sure the wattage listed is PER CHANNEL. I have seen some of 4 channel chargers that are listed as "200 Watts" - but that is total across all 4 channels - each channel can only run 50W. Also, there seems to be a bunch of 2 channel chargers that are 100W "power sharing" chargers - they can do one channel up to 100w, but the other channel only gets the left-over power, not the full 100w... i.e. channel 1 needs 75w, then channel 2 can only use 25w.

Last - don't buy a charger planning on running it at max wattage all the time - you will eventually overheat it and kill it. Give your self a safety buffer. If you need 100w, buy a 120w charger. If you need 200w, buy 300w. As a good rule, you want a 20% spare buffer for your 'normal' charging. Running up to max every now an again is not a problem, but 100% use at 100% output will shorten the life of any piece of equipment.

Two guys put a battery on to charge at the same time. Guy #1 has a 300w 20a charger, and charges at 2c - 10 amps / 230w. ,#2 has a 50w, 5a charger, that can only charge at 2.2a, 50w, for a charge time of over 2 hours.. Guy #1 can charge, drive to the park, bash and LVC the battery, then drive home. Gut #2's battery is still charging, and #1 is doing post bashing cleanup.

One more example - my son and I want to go to the track. I say OK, let's go, and drop 2 batteries on the charger at 2c, then start loading my truck... (Track days I pack the workbench) 30 minutes later, the truck is packed, and one battery for each of us is charged. We get to the track, unpack, drop another pair of batteries on the charger at 2c, and go race / track bash. Our batteries last 20-30 minutes, guess what? Battery #1 is LVC, and Battery #2 is ready. We can spend all day at the track, and are pretty much never waiting on batteries to charge. With 3 sets of batteries (6 total), they get a 'rest' cycle between LVC and charge, so they don't get overstressed. Plus, my charger is running at 50% output, so it is not stressed either.

so with the hitec x700 would you recommend that charger/brand?.. or is there another more reliable with good reviews?

Hitec is one of the best companys in the RC business. The X700 is a newer model, and I have heard only great things about it. You will need a stout DC power supply. The best value in PS are converted 12v/24v server power supplies. Something like this one from SMC -
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459

Note that it is 'only' 1000w. Should be plenty, unless you decided to charger 2 batteries at greater than 20a each. If you shop around, the server power supplies run up to 1200w as single 12v units, and some places combine them to make +2000w 24vdc.

You are talking this charger, right?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFWPV

Hitec is one of the best companys in the RC business. The X700 is a newer model, and I have heard only great things about it. You will need a stout DC power supply. The best value in PS are converted 12v/24v server power supplies. Something like this one from SMC -
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459

Note that it is 'only' 1000w. Should be plenty, unless you decided to charger 2 batteries at greater than 20a each. If you shop around, the server power supplies run up to 1200w as single 12v units, and some places combine them to make +2000w 24vdc.

You are talking this charger, right?
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFWPV

yeah that charger =).. I have it in my cart since this morning, lol I haven't pulled the trigger yet...so with this power supply included , I should be able to charge my two 6s 6000mah( when I buy them) fast? because no one has time to waste, waiting on batteries to charge lol.. man! easily with the car, charger, power supply, batteries, easily almost $1,000 !! wow! lol

for other brands that are better than Hitec, not many. here is anther charger line that the racers seem to love -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-car-battery-chargers/c116?fb=769&lg=fb

Note that for the smaller Junsi chargers (like the 106b and the 3010B) are available as "rebrands" from brands like Reaktor or Charsoon. Personally, I run a Reaktor 2x 300w 20a DC charger from Hobbyking. Supposed to be same factory, same internals as the Junsi 106b- rebrand, not a clone. I do like mine. $125 from Hobbyking. Also, HK sells a single channel version with built in AC power.

Edit - one thing you get with Hitec that you will not get with the rebrands is their US customer service - among the best there is. With Banggood and HK, you get to deal with China for any issues. That is always "fun". LOL

With the Hitec 2x700, and the 1050w PS, you could charge 2x 6s packs at 20 amps - which for those 6000mah packs would be about 15-20 minutes! Make sure your batteries can be charged at those high rates, though. Lots of packs have a 1c or 2c charge limit. Most of my HobbyKing packs have a 5c limit, though, so it is not all about battery price.

. man! easily with the car, charger, power supply, batteries, easily almost $1,000 !! wow! lol

Yeah, it adds up. It is easy to try to skimp on thing like the charger, but if you get a good one, it will last you a long time, and will be used for many RC's. People seem to love to spend big money on aluminum bling or big tires, then complain about spending a bit extra on a good charger. But the charger will last you longer. And probably get used more. And it is responsible for taking care of you other big investment - you batteries.

for other brands that are better than Hitec, not many. here is anther charger line that the racers seem to love -
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-car-battery-chargers/c116?fb=769&lg=fb

Note that for the smaller Junsi chargers (like the 106b and the 3010B) are available as "rebrands" from brands like Reaktor or Charsoon. Personally, I run a Reaktor 2x 300w 20a DC charger from Hobbyking. Supposed to be same factory, same internals as the Junsi 106b- rebrand, not a clone. I do like mine. $125 from Hobbyking. Also, HK sells a single channel version with built in AC power.

Edit - one thing you get with Hitec that you will not get with the rebrands is their US customer service - among the best there is. With Banggood and HK, you get to deal with China for any issues. That is always "fun". LOL

With the Hitec 2x700, and the 1050w PS, you could charge 2x 6s packs at 20 amps - which for those 6000mah packs would be about 15-20 minutes! Make sure your batteries can be charged at those high rates, though. Lots of packs have a 1c or 2c charge limit. Most of my HobbyKing packs have a 5c limit, though, so it is not all about battery price.

Yeah, it adds up. It is easy to try to skimp on thing like the charger, but if you get a good one, it will last you a long time, and will be used for many RC's. People seem to love to spend big money on aluminum bling or big tires, then complain about spending a bit extra on a good charger. But the charger will last you longer. And probably get used more. And it is responsible for taking care of you other big investment - you batteries.

15-20mins!!! that would be amazing!

sorry, super beginner question, this is the battery im looking at... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene-6000mah-6s-65c-w-xt90.html

where would it tell me 1c or 2c charge limit?.. I see the 65c discharge...

I think the max charge rate is 10c, just want to make sure that is correct

Yes, for the Turnigy Graphines, they are 10C rated. So in theory, you could charge them at 60A 1340w, (if you charger could do it) and charge them in under 10 minutes. LOL Reality is that the charger slows down for the balance cycle - 5 to 15 minutes at .5-.1 amp for that last 0.03v. I did have some small 2200mah 5c charge rated batteries that I tried to charge at 10A. (about 4c). The math says 15 minutes. The reality was about 25, due to the balance cycle. Plus the packs got pretty warm, and a bit 'soft'. (not really puffy, but they just feel a bit soft when hot.) I charge most of my packs at 2c, and from storage charge (7.8v, about 40%) they still take about half an hour. Fast enough for me, and the batteries don't heat up (much).

In my example above about "at the track", I will often check the voltage while charging and manually stop the charge when all cells are 4.19v or better, and swap to the next pack in line. From LVC to 4.18v-4.19 per cell at 2c is about the same time it takes to LVC a full pack at the track... :)

I do have some 6000mah 2s 90c Turnigy Graphine packs - I run them as a 2x2s for 4s in my Typhon. Great packs.

thank you jerry, you been a big help.. and I feel more confident in buying the charger... but still waiting on the kraton to be back in stock lol.. trying to buy everything at once lol

If you want I have a Kraton V2 for sale. Brand new body from ARRMA still in the box, new tires and put brand new servo in it and have upgrades. My email is [email protected]

I have a V2 Outcast that I use twice too if someone is interested it comes with new tires and upgrades.

1c= 5a
5 * 22.2 = 111w needed.

jerry, im curious to know what charger you are using lol

Yup that is the one I have ^^^

Mine is the older version, does not really support LiHv, the max I can set the voltage per cell is 4.30.

Overall, I do like it. Easy to use, enough power for me. Sometimes I wish for the 4 channel version... LOL. And I do need to buy a better power supply, as the one I have now maxes out pretty easy - I am really pushing it too hard.

In an earlier reply he linked his charger but here it is in long format https://hobbyking.com/en_us/0620duo-600w-charger-300w-x2-version-2.html. From everything I have read from him he is very happy with this charger. I have the Hitec X2 700 and am very happy with mine as well.

nice! thank u!.. Chevy , the charger you have is the one im really leaning towards too... what power supply are you using with it? and is there anything else I have to buy when I buy that charger you have?.. ETC cables or something lol

I read that the current drain for balancing affects how long it takes at the end of the charge. The Reaktor 2 has 350mA. My Hitec X4 Plus has 300mA and my Hitec X2 700 has 800mA. I know that my X2 700 is worlds faster at balancing at the end. Again, I cannot confirm if this spec is what is causing my huge difference in balancing but it makes sense to me. On my X4 the balancing takes around 10-15 minutes and on the X2 the same battery takes under 5 minutes. Just throwing that out there and hoping to get confirmation on this spec.

I read that the current drain for balancing affects how long it takes at the end of the charge. The Reaktor 2 has 350mA. My Hitec X4 Plus has 300mA and my Hitec X2 700 has 800mA. I know that my X2 700 is worlds faster at balancing at the end. Again, I cannot confirm if this spec is what is causing my huge difference in balancing but it makes sense to me. On my X4 the balancing takes around 10-15 minutes and on the X2 the same battery takes under 5 minutes. Just throwing that out there and hoping to get confirmation on this spec.

gotcha, what power supply are you using? check my previous comment please =).. sorry, im very new to the hobby

gotcha, what power supply are you using? check my previous comment please =).. sorry, im very new to the hobby
The power supply linked below is the one that I have but it cannot fully power the charger since 1025 watts is less than 1400 watts, but it meets my needs. The only other thing that you should NEED is the charging leads to connect your batteries to the 4mm female output. You can get balance cable extenders or balance boards to make connecting the batteries balance leads to the charger easier but they aren't in any means required.

My understanding this drain mA is for discharging packs. For charge / balancing, it runs UP to balance. about .1v or so away from cutoff, it will start to taper the amps off. By the time the cell is at 4.18 or so, the charge current is down to .1a-.3a. Both my Reaktor and my Hitec X1 act this way. I am not 100% sure when the amps gets ramped down as I am often off doing other stuff while the batteries are charging.

Maybe your 2X 700 has a more aggressive ramp at the end of the cycle?

The power supply linked below is the one that I have but it cannot fully power the charger since 1025 watts is less than 1400 watts, but it meets my needs. The only other thing that you should NEED is the charging leads to connect your batteries to the 4mm female output. You can get balance cable extenders or balance boards to make connecting the batteries balance leads to the charger easier but they aren't in any means required.

cool! that's the one jerry was telling me to get =).. the power supply does it connect directly to the wall? or does it come with a cable to connect to the wall?... I need 4mm female output leads?, really don't know what that means sorry.. the batteries im trying to get have a xt90, .. ugghhhh im a total noob in this right now sorry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back