charger takes FOREVER to balance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, absolutely. It will extend the life by just about 0.00001%, well worth it. 🤪
That really only matters in other applications like eBike, cars etc. which is a different battery technology.

A Lipo should only sit at storage level and charged before use. Once it crosses the ~3.9V region, you will see degradation over time.
Storage - 3.75-3.385 is where you want to be. Full charge is anything above 4.1V.

Yes, absolutely. It will extend the life by just about 0.00001%, well worth it. 🤪
That really only matters in other applications like eBike, cars etc. which is a different battery technology.

A Lipo should only sit at storage level and charged before use. Once it crosses the ~3.9V region, you will see degradation over time.
Storage - 3.75-3.385 is where you want to be. Full charge is anything above 4.1V.
Yea I was messing with the parameters.. might just swap back to 4.2

It always makes sense to adjust down if a lipo has problems balancing at the 4.2V mark. A quick fix is to lower to 4.1V or something like that.
By all means, that lipo is on it's way out of those steps need to be taken but will work for a while.

It always makes sense to adjust down if a lipo has problems balancing at the 4.2V mark. A quick fix is to lower to 4.1V or something like that.
By all means, that lipo is on it's way out of those steps need to be taken but will work for a while.
No problems.. just thought it might be a good thing to prolong life, but if its that insignificant than I will just keep it set at 4.2

Yeah as cells age, their full charge (4.2v) resting voltage drops off anyway as soon as the charger shuts off. What I noticed.

Normal unfortunately. Lipos are so dam $$$:rolleyes:

Everyone just gonna hate.. not sure how you can call a charger junk or not as good as others.. mine has more features, is smart, and can charge 2 lipos faster than the hota 6.. still provides 15a as well.. China junk is what you guys all like cuz its cheap!! Im gonna start being an ass just like everyone else!!
Oh let me spend more money on a convertor to swap to dc.. psh makes no sense

What you trying to say!!
Since when can a Spektrum charger charge faster than the hota? 🤔 Do they have some 500$ charger that does? The one I had couldn't even do 2 6s 6000 mah at 1c

Well maybe u weren't doing something right!? Sry ment to say as fast.. it maxes out at 12a I believe
LOL man I can't tell if you're serious or not. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

do-I-look-like-Im-joking.gif

To say that as a blanket statement for all situations is unfair to say the least. Sometimes the cause is just a poopy (it wont let me say :poop:ty) charger that balances at 250mA

I stand with my blanket (statement) coz it's nice and cozy. :ROFLMAO:
Let me modify to say, if you see a change in your setup i.e. same lipo, same charger and all of a sudden it takes an hour to balance, that is when my warm fuzzy blanket(statement) will help.
Yes, if you have c charger with such a crappy balance current (cough cough ISDT) you are learning that there are 3 critical specs on picking a charger.
Power rating per channel
Balance current
Max current output
Everything else is just marketing and fairly unimportant.

Spektrum can charge at 12A, HOTA at 15A
Spektrum 100W/channel; Hota 150 (or 200)
Max charge rate on a 6S
100W/22V(6S) ~4.5-5A roughly 1C on a 5000mAh
150W/22V ~6.8A

SMART stuff has its place, would like for all of them to use it, but not at this price point. Many folks I know use it, and they don't worry about storage or balancing and all that other stuff. Perfect technology for them.

I stand with my blanket (statement) coz it's nice and cozy. :ROFLMAO:
Let me modify to say, if you see a change in your setup i.e. same lipo, same charger and all of a sudden it takes an hour to balance, that is when my warm fuzzy blanket(statement) will help.
Yes, if you have c charger with such a crappy balance current (cough cough ISDT) you are learning that there are 3 critical specs on picking a charger.
Power rating per channel
Balance current
Max current output
Everything else is just marketing and fairly unimportant.

Spektrum can charge at 12A, HOTA at 15A
Spektrum 100W/channel; Hota 150 (or 200)
Max charge rate on a 6S
100W/22V(6S) ~4.5-5A roughly 1C on a 5000mAh
150W/22V ~6.8A

SMART stuff has its place, would like for all of them to use it, but not at this price point. Many folks I know use it, and they don't worry about storage or balancing and all that other stuff. Perfect technology for them.
Hey I worry about storage, and all the other stuff I get to monitor with my smart charger!! 😁
Lmao, I was dead serious!! I can charge 2 6s 6200 90c lipos in about 25 mins, faster if I wanted but feel its unsafe!?

IMHO, although very easy to offer a higher rate, the Balance charge rate should not be too high. It stresses the cells during the balancing phase . Especially if the Brands F/W is not on point. Subpar.
1.5 amps -2.5a ., seems to be the average max rate for better chargers out there. I am sure there will be outliars as well.
The final Balance phase of the charging process can take the longest vs the initial Fast charge phase of the charge cycle.
A lipo that has poorly matched cells to begin with, or one that has some good age/cycles on them tends to take longer. No matter what the Balance charge rate spec the Charger provides.
My ISDT Air 2 has a balance charge of 1.6 amps. At a 1C rate most of my lipos are fast charged, then balanced within 45 min.
In general, it is much safer to balance charge at a lower rate. Just that a really Low Balance rate along with a poorly matched or well used tired pack can take very long.

Last edited:
IMHO, although very easy to offer a higher rate, the Balance charge rate should not be too high. It stresses the cells during the balancing phase . Especially if the Brands F/W is not on point. Subpar.
1.5 amps -2.5a ., seems to be the average max rate for better chargers out there. I am sure ther will be outliars as well.
The final Balance phase of the charging process can take the longest vs the initial Fast charge phase of the charge cycle.
A lipo that has poorly matched cells to begin with, or one that has some good age/cycles on them tends to take longer. No matter what the Balance charge rate spec the Charger provides.
My ISDT Air 2 has a balance charge of 1.6 amps. At a 1C rate most of my lipos are fast charged, then balanced within 45 min.
In general, it is much safer to balance charge at a lower rate. Just that a really Low Balance rate along with a poorly matched or well used tired pack can take very long.
If I may add...
I have in the past charged discharged and recharged a 3s pack to give the charger more chances to balance.
I did it that way because I read that it MAY work if the cells are salvageable.
Blew me away when after the second charge the cells were balanced as they should be.
Took a looong time both times on a low rate (1c) but was well worth it to save a battery.

Not saying the issue here is the same, but I could have easily thrown it away thinking its just too far gone but
I hung in there and let the charger do what it does....charge and balance:)

Any reason not to order from rotorriot? Hota s6 still isnt available from smc and now it says low stock on rotorriot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back