Kraton Cheap powerful charger ....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are massive amounts of links about if you google search it. Start here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1292514-How-to-convert-Server-Power-Supplies

If you can solder connectors onto your new batteries you have the skills and tools required to do it. It typically requires a minor mod to one power supply and then soldering some bullets onto the back. Takes me 15 minutes to rig a pair of power supplies up. You get 24 volts this way and thus get more out of your charger.

The new isdt chargers are pretty stout. And with 24 volts going in you can get 25 amps. That'll turn two 6s 5000mah packs in a half hour. Or one in 15 minutes if it'll take a 4c charge.

DC chargers are really the way to go. I get that they aren't as convenient but there is something to be said for the raw power of a 24v DC charger.

I have that charger as well in my car. It's an OK charger, but there are quite a few that have issues. Mine, on one channel, I can't decrease as the increase button doesn't work. I fiddled with it for an hour and somehow, it reset and works again. Not sure I'd want to rely on it as my only charger.

I have the hitec D7 in the house, it will do 2x200/2x20A on AC or DC. It's pretty pricey to buy, I won it used on ebay for $135.

In other charger threads, this one came up:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=530

Since you have a good PSU, might want to just get one of those. Might want to read the manual though and make sure it puts out enough watts/amps for your needs on the voltage your PSU supplies. For $110, it would have been perfect in my car on 12VDC for what I do.

That Hota is basically what I'm doing with now. I don't have a power supply yet but have it on a list and 24v . The custom ps guy that's an inactive member here and has an ebay store is who I spoke with and will order from if hes still in it.
I often charge and balance at the same time 2x 6s at 2c and never worried about more than 45 minutes to run. AC power
Honestly, I feel like I abuse my batteries by leaving charged but I always balance and always at 2c or less to charge. I got this charger under the original maker at $99 preorder from a solid racing drone shop online. Best charger I've used and similar to ISDT display. I still have an old $70 charger before this thing and Hota is night and day better for a just a bit more cost.

As batteries stack up, particularly 3s packs that are used in 3s and 6s cars it's nice to be able to charge 4 or 6 at a time without worry.

Another good thing with a solid power supply is that chargers come and go, but you can keep your power supply. And upgrading to a new DC charger with the latest tech is always cheaper than and AC/DC charger.

Thanks again guys, I splashed out an extra few quid (85) and bought 2 turnigy reaktors 250watt chargers. I have one huge power supply that will run these and then I will use the c240 on the 2s packs.

I figured this would keep everything within safe parameters, I don't like things being forced to work too hard, especially in my work shop unattended with all my toys and tools.

You guys are the best. Thanks again.

For another 50 bucks you could triple the power. Just sayin'. Nothing like turning around 6 batteries in 30 minutes.

qty 2 hp server power supplies, $40 on ebay
isdt T6 charger, $75

That'll get you 600 watts, and the power supplies are good for plenty more if you ever wanted to add another T6 or maybe a different isdt charger.

Where are you finding the server PSU's for $20 each? A few years ago, that was the norm, but with all the bit-coin farms going these days, the cheap used server PSU's are hard to find these days...

I've had one of these for a few years, and it works great! Not cheap, but good. Mine is an older version, and requires an external power supply. I run mine off a 20 amp supply. Right now, charging a small 3S for my transmitter, a large 2S and 3S, all at the same time, and still have one more open port. Their newer models look different, and have their own power supply built in.
https://www.amazon.com/Balancing-24...ocphy=9012226&hvtargid=pla-586614791998&psc=1
I just had to throw one of these away, as it quit, just today.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YAASVGQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00YAASVGQ

Anyone looking for a cheap monster of a psu just pick up a Dps800gb, preferably the hp version. 80+ amps and 800 Watts. Conversion vids are all over YouTube, they are on eBay for under £20 used.

I’ve looked at the reactor chargers a few times, let us know hoe you get on with them,

I’ve got a 1150watt 25v psu, can’t think what make charger now, will have a look later but I can charge a 4s 5000mah at 10amp in about 15 minutes

I’ve looked at the reactor chargers a few times, let us know hoe you get on with them,

I’ve got a 1150watt 25v psu, can’t think what make charger now, will have a look later but I can charge a 4s 5000mah at 10amp in about 15 minutes
Guessing you have some pretty good lipo's. Not many of the cheaper ones like being pushed beyond 2C on charging. SMC recommends 1C. 5000mah in 15 minutes... just did the math, think 5000mah in 15 minutes is 1.25C, so not too bad. Just sounds harsh I guess. LOL!

1C = mah / 1000
So 5000mah battery, 1C is 5 amps

Roughly speaking 1C will charge a battery in about an hour.
2C, 30 minutes.

So if you want to charge two 3s 5000mah packs in 30 minutes you'd need 20 amps. 4 packs, 40 amps.
Many batteries these days can handle a 5C charge.

If I'm packing up to go bash and fly on a weekend, but didn't charge the night before I'll have 8 3s 5000mah packs to charge and a few others. That would take all day with anything AC. With a good DC charger and power supply you can have it done in an hour (from storage charge) with my setup. Since I'm usually up by 5 or 6 AM I can still hit the road at sun up with a trunk full of charged batteries when they were all set for storage an hour ago.

No worries m8. I often screw it up with nothing going on. Getting old sucks, lol.
Yeah... spent 2.5 hours out bashing in the snow yesterday, can barely stand up today. All the unsure footing and standing with boots that I think are too small on nearly killed me.

Still fun though. :)

As for the packs, if I'm getting that right, your saying you can push 25A into a 5000mah pack and it's ok? Sounds like a lot. My main quad charger puts out 4x10A. I thought I was hard on my lipo's by charging 7200/7400 packs at 10A, but I was too lazy to adjust it after charging my 9000mah 2S packs.

The packs I typically buy are rated to 3C charge, since they are 5000mah that means I can charge them at 15 amps no sweat. And I do, never had any ill effects.

Have the B6AC which is ok for 2-3S lipos, but for larger packs I have the Hobbymate, D6 Duo Pro. ($120.). An AC/DC
2 channel charger. Does 200w on A/C , but I use it with a RDQ 24V 400W DC power supply to get 400W. I can balance charge 2 4s or 6s lipos 7000mah in 1 hour. you really need a 24V power supply to drive a 24v compatible charger to get large packs quick. Most people go with a 12v PS. You have to get a 24-30 v power supply. And use it along with a charger that can handle more than just 12v. In RC 12v PS are more common. And 24v+PSU are costly and less commonly found. But the RDQ PSU was only $50. My cost for charger and PSU was $170. That gets me 2 large lipos ready in 1 hour.

Attachments

• 20190206_105638.jpg
    20190206_105638.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 42
That's why you get 2 of the server power supplies, 12v each makes 24 volts and usually around 1100-1200 watts.

Guessing you have some pretty good lipo's. Not many of the cheaper ones like being pushed beyond 2C on charging. SMC recommends 1C. 5000mah in 15 minutes... just did the math, think 5000mah in 15 minutes is 1.25C, so not too bad. Just sounds harsh I guess. LOL!
Actually, I emailed Danny at smc, he recommended 2c-5c charge rated. Also, seems the paper that came with my 'true spec' packs listed 2c charge rate.

Also, 1c= 1 hour, if the pack is at 0%. So from lvc, you need 4c for a 15 minute charge - which is 20a for a 5000mah pack.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back