Kraton Compare and contrast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beg to differ and feel the Kraton is the jack of all trades. Has taller towers and shocks, Better for jumps and bumps.
I question what you say that the Talion EXB RTR is cheaper????????
Originally EXB rigs came as rollers and you needed to supply Electrics. Talion EXB as a RTR is the exception.
Kraton RTR-$549. (has no EXB option parts) Has electrics
Talion RTR EXB-$699. Has electrics and EXB parts.
Kraton RTR does not have any EXB parts or the stronger LSD diffs as a RTR.
Kraton with EXB parts is only as a Roller. No electrics. Just you are getting EXB parts and saving $$ up front. To me that is worth more than basic RTR radio and electrics.
I believe you said you want something complete out the box. A RTR platform.
The Kraton EXB is probably the best bang for the buck, however you need to buy all the electrics and install them.
All rollers IMHO are the best bang for the buck. But probably mostly for a seasoned RC 'er.
There are much better Performing Electrics available out there, compared to the Firma Electrics included in RTR rigs.
Just playing devils advocate here.
Of all the 6s rigs I own, I do not have the Talion. I feel it just overlaps what I have already. Just my thoughts.
Talion is not as popular. Not that it is a bad model. Just that once you own all the other 6s rigs, The Talion may not be any great deal.
This is subjective however. There are some that only have a Talion. and swear by it. But I just feel it is too limited with what you can do with it. And how you want to drive it.

Last edited:
I don't own either but my guess based on what I've read etc.. I think the Kraton has longer shock travel than the Talion. I would think if you got the Kraton, and later put Talion tires on it, it would handle kind-of-like the Talion (although the chassis are slightly different in terms of weight distribution). Kraton is more eager to do wheelies, but still not nearly as wheelie crazy as say the Outcast or Notorious.

So I would think if you're planning to end up with one, then consider the Kraton. If you're planning to end up with two eventually, then maybe the Talion now, and the Outcast or Notorious off into the future. For the Kraton, between RTR and EXB Roller, it looks like the EXB Roller is still available from HH on backorder, next shipment this month. The RTR is available now and don't have to deal with the electronics and save $. The Talion EXB is already a RTR (but kind of expensive). I'm not sure how different Kraton and Talion really are in weight, except for the difference in wheels.
@joostin420 still has a nib talion for sale here in the classifieds, last time I checked

I beg to differ and feel the Kraton is the jack of all trades. Has taller towers and shocks, Better for jumps and bumps.
I question what you say that the Talion EXB RTR is cheaper????????
Originally EXB rigs came as rollers and you needed to supply Electrics. Talion EXB as a RTR is the exception.
Kraton RTR-$549.
Talion RTR EXB-$699.
Kraton RTR does not have any EXB parts or the stronger LSD diffs as a RTR.
Kraton with EXB parts is only as a Roller. No electrics. Just you are getting EXB parts and saving $$ up front. To me that is worth more than basic RTR radio and electrics.
I believe you said you want something complete out the box. RTR platform.
The Kraton EXB is probably the best bang for the buck, however you need to buy all the electrics and install them.
All rollers IMHO are the best bang for the buck. But probably mostly for a seasoned RC 'er.
There are much better Performing Electrics available out there, compared to the Firma Electrics included in RTR rigs.
Just playing devils advocate here.
Of all the 6s rigs I own, I do not have the Talion. I feel it just overlaps what I have already. Just my thoughts.
Talion is not as popular. Not that it is a bad model. Just that once you own all the other 6s rigs, The Talion may not be any great deal.
This is subjective however. There are some that only have a Talion. and swear by it. But I just feel it is too limited with what you can do with it. And how you want to drive it.
Sorry for the confusion. That's what I was referring to. The rtr kraton being less than exb Talion. Although the exb holds definite appeal, the initial end price would be well over what I'm hoping for.

Ok I see. (y) I understand you have a budget.
Important to have one in this Hobby.
Talion used to be sold as a Plain Jane RTR a few years back. I believe it was always slow seller. They revamped it as an EXB Ready to Run. In one flavor.
The Talion itself has a chassis that is unique to it. FWIW. The layout and how it is balanced is different.
I think Arrma wanted to make the Talion More Popular and just gave it both EXB Parts as well as being RTR out the box. They could have easily done that with the Kraton . They Did not. It is very popular as is already , whether as a Roller or RTR.

Sorry for the confusion. That's what I was referring to. The rtr kraton being less than exb Talion. Although the exb holds definite appeal, the initial end price would be well over what I'm hoping for.
What's your ideal price range?

Yeah, I originally was looking at 200 too 300. I kinda bumped to 500 700 range to get a decent one that is more sturdy. But Not 1000. Not gonna work. Probably woulda had an xmaxx and not be here lol.
What's your ideal price range
up to around 700

Last edited:
Yeah, I originally was looking at 200 too 300. I kinda bumped to 500 700 range to get a decent one that is more sturdy. But Not 1000. Not gonna work. Probably woulda had an xmaxx and not be here lol.
Consider a Typhon 6s.

Also, Notorious 6s is only $480 right now on sale, Maybe you could convert it to a Kraton once you get more funds ( around $70 to convert a Notorious to Kraton )

Yeah Xmax is a whole new ball of wax. But, you are comparing apples to oranges, not just because of the brand, but because of its larger scale. So, the $$ difference between an XMaxx and Arrma 1/8 6s line is not a fair comparison.
Don't feek that selecting the Righ Model will prevent you form adding ugrades down the road. The rig you finally choose will end up costing additional $$ as you progress. Depends on many factors like driving skill etc. How much you break it.
Most of my 6s rigs including the out the box price, end up costing on average to me, aprox $1k when all is said and done.
Lipos, charger, and some incidental needed upgrade parts add up.
I usually cap my 1/8 rigs at about $1k. Give or take. Replacing with stock plastic parts in the beginning is bets and more effiient, in the beginning.
Consider a Typhon 6s.

Also, Notorious 6s is only $480 right now on sale, Maybe you could convert it to a Kraton once you get more funds ( around $70 to convert a Notorious to Kraton )
+1
Like I mentioned. Noto is a steal at that price. Pricing like from 5 years ago. (y) (y)
I always felt my Noto breaks less having the 2 inch shorter wheelbase, compared to the Kraton. Noto. and Typhon share the same identical chassis FWIW.
Longer wheelbase Kraton tends to be easier to drive. If that helps. Great all around rig. Most terrain. Especially tall Grass. The Talion sits low and will bog down more so on tall Grass. So will the Typhon.

Last edited:
I'm conflicted. Here's where I am. I'm going to be driving around, turning, doing donuts etc on gravel /dirt roads. Driving on dirt/long high grass fields, dirt fields, most of the time. Eventually propably sand dunes at some point. Obviously, especially with the sand dunes I'd like it to be durable for jumping, but I don't think I'll be going Kevin Talbot on it or anything anytime soon. @Alan @Moirae any of you guys have thoughts on all that?
Kraton 6s. Can do it all. Most popular Arrma rig and for a reason. A lot upgrades available to tailor your needs. More into racing and doing donuts; tune the shocks and change the tires. More into jumping; there are stronger chassis braces, shock towers and chassis available.

I don't own either but my guess based on what I've read etc.. I think the Kraton has longer shock travel than the Talion. I would think if you got the Kraton, and later put Talion tires on it, it would handle kind-of-like the Talion (although the chassis are slightly different in terms of weight distribution). Kraton is more eager to do wheelies, but still not nearly as wheelie crazy as say the Outcast or Notorious.

So I would think if you're planning to end up with one, then consider the Kraton. If you're planning to end up with two eventually, then maybe the Talion now, and the Outcast or Notorious off into the future. For the Kraton, between RTR and EXB Roller, it looks like the EXB Roller is still available from HH on backorder, next shipment this month. The RTR is available now and don't have to deal with the electronics and save $. The Talion EXB is already a RTR (but kind of expensive). I'm not sure how different Kraton and Talion really are in weight, except for the difference in wheels.
Kraton EXB roller is the best bang for the buck. Supply and demand ....... hence short supply.
For a newb, not familiar with RC's at all, a RTR will be best. Less frustrating in the beginning. But guarrantee if you get all into RC, at some point, Rollers will sway you. You will understand it better later on.

Yeah Xmax is a whole new ball of wax. But, you are comparing apples to oranges, not just because of the brand, but because of its larger scale. So, the $$ difference between an XMaxx and Arrma 1/8 6s line is not a fair comparison.
Don't feek that selecting the Righ Model will prevent you form adding ugrades down the road. The rig you finally choose will end up costing additional $$ as you progress. Depends on many factors like driving skill etc. How much you break it.
Most of my 6s rigs including the out the box price, end up costing on average to me, aprox $1k when all is said and done.
Lipos, charger, and some incidental needed upgrade parts add up.
I usually cap my 1/8 rigs at about $1k. Give or take. Replacing with stock plastic parts in the beginning is bets and more effiient, in the beginning.

+1
Like I mentioned. Noto is a steal at that price. Pricing like from 5 years ago. (y) (y)
I always felt my Noto breaks less having the 2 inch shorter wheelbase, compared to the Kraton. Noto. and Typhon share the same identical chassis FWIW.
Longer wheelbase Kraton tends to be easier to drive. If that helps. Great all around rig. Most terrain. Especially tall Grass. The Talion sits low and will bog down more so on tall Grass. So will the Typhon.
OH yeah. I just mean if budget wasn't an issue, I probably wouldn't be here but already have it as traxxas is all I knew. Yeah, batteries etc add up fast.
Kraton EXB roller is the best bang for the buck. Supply and demand ....... hence short supply.
For a newb, not familiar with RC's at all, a RTR will be best. Less frustrating in the beginning. But guarrantee if you get all into RC, at some point, Rollers will sway you. You will understand it better later on.
Oh I'm sure l. I actually already feel that way, but just a little too daunting I feel. Any battery

@SrC @Moirae @Alan @robb66 Any battery /charger advice?

Last edited:
^^^ Baby steps. You don't want to be frustrated with RC. It is supposed to fun and relaxing.
I had many friends that got frustrated with it after several months. Gave up the hobby. They tell me that I make it look easy. I even helped them much. But been doing this for 35+ years. I take much for granted, I guess?
Understand that Wrenching is 80% and driving is 20% of Rc'ing. We all can't wait to drive our first brand new RC.
At some point you will be RC'ing less as it breaks. Normal and always repairable. In the beginning you will break more. Normal. Don't let that put you off. Patience. Frequent Maintenance is very important, and for newbs is a learning curve. Preventive maintenance and conservative driving as you learn your rig will keep you driving more.

Last edited:
^^^ Baby steps. You don't want to be frustrated with RC. It is supposed to fun and relaxing.
I had many friend that got frustrated with it after several months. Gave up the hobby. They tell me that I make it look easy. I even helped them much. But been doing this for 35+ years. I take much for granted, I guess?
Understand that Wrenching is 80% and driving is 20% of Rc'ing. We all cant wait to drive our first brand new RC.
At some point you will be RC'ing less as it breaks. Normal and always repairable. In the beginning you will break more. Normal. Don't let that put you off. Patience.
Yeah. I just understand the appeal. It'd be nice if it were more 50 50 but 🤷‍♂️ any battery and charger advice? Traxxas has their own thing. No idea with brands/types with arrma.

I'm conflicted. Here's where I am. I'm going to be driving around, turning, doing donuts etc on gravel /dirt roads. Driving on dirt/long high grass fields, dirt fields, most of the time. Eventually propably sand dunes at some point. Obviously, especially with the sand dunes I'd like it to be durable for jumping, but I don't think I'll be going Kevin Talbot on it or anything anytime soon. @Alan @Moirae any of you guys have thoughts on all that?
Based on this I'd tell you to get a Talion, but the Kraton will be better in tall grass. I think durability wise they're also very similar. Tbh if I were you, I'd go do what someone else mentioned and take a look at joostins new in box Talion in the classified section. He is a good dude and has sold many rigs to many people here. He also always sells them at a discount and his Talion is 600$ shipped which is 100$ cheaper than anywhere else and no taxes/shipping. You just won't have a warranty. That's what jennysrc is for anyway though. :cool: (y)

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/nib-arrma-talion-exb-rtr-for-sale.52812/#post-764164

For chargers I recommend spending the coin and getting the Hota d6+ but it's about 125$. Dual channel and one of the best chargers out there. Can charge 2x 6000 mah 6s batteries in like 40 mins from storage charge on AC power. Seems slightly hard to find right now though.

Last edited:
OH yeah. I just mean if budget wasn't an issue, I probably wouldn't be here but already have it as traxxas is all I knew. Yeah, batteries etc add up fast.

Oh I'm sure l. I actually already feel that way, but just a little too daunting I feel. Any battery

@SrC @Moirae @Alan @robb66 Any battery /charger advice?
As @Moirae said get a HOTA D6+, for a battery I would recommend the CHNL BOGO sale going on right now or Hoovo packs:https://www.amazon.com/HOOVO-5200mA...games&sprefix=hoovo,toys-and-games,190&sr=1-5

Based on this I'd tell you to get a Talion, but the Kraton will be better in tall grass. I think durability wise they're also very similar. Tbh if I were you, I'd go do what someone else mentioned and take a look at joostins new in box Talion in the classified section. He is a good dude and has sold many rigs to many people here. He also always sells them at a discount and his Talion is 600$ shipped which is 100$ cheaper than anywhere else and no taxes/shipping. You just won't have a warranty. That's what jennysrc is for anyway though. :cool: (y)

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/nib-arrma-talion-exb-rtr-for-sale.52812/#post-764164

For chargers I recommend spending the coin and getting the Hota d6+ but it's about 125$. Dual channel and one of the best chargers out there. Can charge 2x 6000 mah 6s batteries in like 40 mins from storage charge on AC power. Seems slightly hard to find right now though.
You'd recommend running single 6s and not dual 3s?

I started with 2x 3s batteries as we started with 3s cars and have stopped buying them in favor of single 6s batteries. I have 3 dual chargers so being able to charge multiple 6s and 4s batteries at once is very nice and helps with shortening the lead time if we decide we want to go play we can do it rather quickly.

If you are a tinkerer the Arrma platform is nice. For about $100 you can convert whatever vehicle you buy into something else. That’s something that Traxxas doesn’t really offer. Arrma has a shared platform where each car is kinda like a scoop of vanilla ice cream. All of them are slightly different variants of the same basic components. At the end of the day they are all good options but because everyone has different tastes people prefer different scoops. When I built my Kraton I bought the Exb roller and electronics from Jenny’s for about $200. At that time the difference between a rtr truck and what I built was $70. To me it was worth it to get the Exb parts for a little bit of extra work.

You'd recommend running single 6s and not dual 3s?
Personally, I prefer running singles as its less batteries to deal with. I see no real benefit to running 2x 3s unless you have a bunch of 3s rigs.

I started with 2x 3s batteries as we started with 3s cars and have stopped buying them in favor of single 6s batteries. I have 3 dual chargers so being able to charge multiple 6s and 4s batteries at once is very nice and helps with shortening the lead time if we decide we want to go play we can do it rather quickly.

If you are a tinkerer the Arrma platform is nice. For about $100 you can convert whatever vehicle you buy into something else. That’s something that Traxxas doesn’t really offer. Arrma has a shared platform where each car is kinda like a scoop of vanilla ice cream. All of them are slightly different variants of the same basic components. At the end of the day they are all good options but because everyone has different tastes people prefer different scoops. When I built my Kraton I bought the Exb roller and electronics from Jenny’s for about $200. At that time the difference between a rtr truck and what I built was $70. To me it was worth it to get the Exb parts for a little bit of extra work.
I'd love to have the exb but I currently have zero experience working on rc. I would think it would be a little much for a first. No?
Personally, I prefer running singles as its less batteries to deal with. I see no real benefit to running 2x 3s unless you have a bunch of 3s rigs.
If I'm right 3s batteries are cheaper though.

That begs the question. What does the warranty cover, and how important is it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back