Kraton Considering a Kraton EXB but need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coops_5221

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new toy and am after some help with what to get. I mainly bash on relatively short grass with jumps that you need a fair bit of speed to hit.

I currently have a Notorious 6s with a fair few upgrades but stock motor and ESC which I use on the bike track. It suffers in the open field and constantly wheelies meaning I don't always get the height and distance I'm looking for. My Dad's Kraton 6s handles this kind of terrain/jumps far easier as you'd expect and out runs the Notorious even though he's on the stock pinion and I'm on a 16T (because I can't keep the wheels on the floor)

I also have (in bits) a HPI Trophy Truggy running a Hobbywing Max8 150A ESC and Hobbywing 4274 2200kv on 5s this was great but can't really handle that kind of power.

My 8yr old lad has had a FTX Carnage (RIP) and is currently running HPI Savage XS Flux that's been in the family for 5 years, for his birthday next week we've got him a BRCC, so we're real Arrma fan boys!

So now the boring background info is out the way....
I've been seriously considering a Talion V4 but recently the Kraton EXB too if the ESC/Motor combo above on my HPI is adequate? I've trawled post after post and some people say it's fine, others are saying it will run too hot etc so I'm a bit unsure what to do?

Any recommendations for a rig that's quick (60mph ish) across grass and good for long jumps?

Thanks all!

Screenshot_20200831-143852.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-143903.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-143919.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-143911.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-143927.jpg

The exb is great just buy a V4 diff and shims until you get the lsd plates for the rear diff or you will be waiting like i am atm. The LSD plates shipment got pushed for next month
The esc yes i think motor ypu might be at the limit slightly too high of a kv

For sure try out the EXB. But that 2200kv motor is going to run really hot unless you gear it way down. I don’t think it’s a good fit. I would look for a 1600-1800kv motor with at least 45mm x 80mm can. You don’t need anything over a 49mm can tho. The Max8 is the minimal I would probably say is safe, but a MAX6 or MMX8S would be best.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm in the market for a new toy and am after some help with what to get. I mainly bash on relatively short grass with jumps that you need a fair bit of speed to hit.

I currently have a Notorious 6s with a fair few upgrades but stock motor and ESC which I use on the bike track. It suffers in the open field and constantly wheelies meaning I don't always get the height and distance I'm looking for. My Dad's Kraton 6s handles this kind of terrain/jumps far easier as you'd expect and out runs the Notorious even though he's on the stock pinion and I'm on a 16T (because I can't keep the wheels on the floor)

I also have (in bits) a HPI Trophy Truggy running a Hobbywing Max8 150A ESC and Hobbywing 4274 2200kv on 5s this was great but can't really handle that kind of power.

My 8yr old lad has had a FTX Carnage (RIP) and is currently running HPI Savage XS Flux that's been in the family for 5 years, for his birthday next week we've got him a BRCC, so we're real Arrma fan boys!

So now the boring background info is out the way....
I've been seriously considering a Talion V4 but recently the Kraton EXB too if the ESC/Motor combo above on my HPI is adequate? I've trawled post after post and some people say it's fine, others are saying it will run too hot etc so I'm a bit unsure what to do?

Any recommendations for a rig that's quick (60mph ish) across grass and good for long jumps?

Thanks all!

View attachment 97360

View attachment 97361

View attachment 97362

View attachment 97364

View attachment 97368
I too have been inquiring about a new powerplant for my EXB, and the consensus is that the sweet spot is somewhere between 1700 kv and 1900 kv. The first few times ive run it, it was on the stock BLX 185/2050kv. It thermal cut pretty quick. I added two fans this weekend and was ripping around the infield and outfield of a baseball diamond, and it didn't cut once until lvc. The temperatures are cooling here as well, so the blistering hot temps from the summer aren't a factor. Not sure I would run that 2200 kv though, but it is a bigger can than the stock 4074, so maybe with fans you'll be alright.

I have a max8 2200kv combo I’ll be putting in my exb as well when it arrives. I was worried about temps as well but I’ll stick to the stock pinion and will be running dual motor fans. Watching some YouTube videos of other guys running the same setup and not getting too hot put my mind at ease. If I feel like I’m not getting enough power or if it starts getting hot by next summer when it heats up again, I’ll probably upgrade it to a max 6/1650kv

If all else failed you could stretch your outcast out with a lwb chassis and the braces/center drive shaft and save a little coin. might be tough to find some in stock right now. The max6 combo is great and a little on the heavy side, so you'll have to mess with your shocks a little to get your ride height up but very doable. you start running into clearance issues with the 4985 can and a fan setup on it. I like the hobbystar 4092's personally, in 1480 or 1730kv. They are pretty hard to find right now though too.

Me and my son both got the exb he put the max8 combo in his and I was running on the stock 185blx from my typhon until my castle setup arrived. They were both on stock 12t pinions and during speed runs they both maxed out right at 58mph. He has since put a 15 tooth in his and I got my mamba monster2 setup with a 16t haven’t done speed runs yet but went to a local sc track both ran great with no heat issues. He has the 2050kv combo no fan and no overheating issues as yet and he ran 3 packs through it at the track
Me and my son both got the exb he put the max8 combo in his and I was running on the stock 185blx from my typhon until my castle setup arrived. They were both on stock 12t pinions and during speed runs they both maxed out right at 58mph. He has since put a 15 tooth in his and I got my mamba monster2 setup with a 16t haven’t done speed runs yet but went to a local sc track both ran great with no heat issues. He has the 2050kv combo no fan and no overheating issues as yet and he ran 3 packs through it at the track
Here is a picture of both builds

Attachments

• D709A666-6DBA-4756-A0F3-16D79757C562.jpeg
    D709A666-6DBA-4756-A0F3-16D79757C562.jpeg
    528.3 KB · Views: 51
  • F32D6DA2-5BE6-4BB5-B438-07E2275DF07C.jpeg
    F32D6DA2-5BE6-4BB5-B438-07E2275DF07C.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back