Copperhead 2/backflip durability?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zlayer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton 4s
How do the backflips and copperhead 2 tires hold up on 6s? I have an Erevo 2.0 and I’m having a problem with the stock talon tires ripping off the wheels. I like the performance and grip level, but they just rip right at the bead and can’t really be re glued with any reliability. I watched 1 review of the copperhead 2 tires and the guy said they do fine on 4s, but on 6s they rip off (just like the traxxas tires.

They will all rip if you keep diffing out. Which tires are blowing up. The Fronts or rears? Do you vent your tires. If so how? Watch your diffing out under load. Up the weight on your center diff. Some guys prefer the Backflip LP's (low profile) over the 6S Backflips. Coppehead 2's are wider and have a thinner but softer rubber carcass compared to the 6S backflips. Been there. Good luck. BTW, If you have the $bucks$, Proline Belted Trenchers may work for you. (2.8 and 3.8) They are much harder and more rigid.

Last edited:
I don’t believe I’m diffing out, and the Erevo uses 20m weight fluid in the center diff, so there’s no upping that. The tires are just spinning so fast that they rip from the bead (not coming unglued just flat out ripping). My first set that came on the car lasted probably 15-20 battery packs before ripping. My newest pair (in rear) have started ripping off in about 6 charge cycles. And I fear the front 2 will soon rip as well. I hear the proline tires balloon worse the the stock tires (I’m not sure that translates into tires ripping off though). I’ve read several bad reviews on the belted trenchers (some on this forum).

The Belted PL's didn't get the best reviews for sure. But they are more durable(aside from the PLastic Hex mounting) and wont balloon, which blows the tire. I personally cant justify the price of them. I feel that's part of the bad reviews. People are expecting the perfect tire at that price. And they are far from it at any price. I feel it is an alternative, because every other Un-Belted tire has failed you. You may have to watch your wheel spins. All tires have their limits. You seem to be reaching those limits. And that gets expensive I know.

I don’t believe I’m diffing out, and the Erevo uses 20m weight fluid in the center diff, so there’s no upping that. The tires are just spinning so fast that they rip from the bead (not coming unglued just flat out ripping). My first set that came on the car lasted probably 15-20 battery packs before ripping. My newest pair (in rear) have started ripping off in about 6 charge cycles. And I fear the front 2 will soon rip as well. I hear the proline tires balloon worse the the stock tires (I’m not sure that translates into tires ripping off though). I’ve read several bad reviews on the belted trenchers (some on this forum).
Wrap them with kevlar. I've done that on all of mine I run in 6S trucks and so far, no blowouts or rips. Before doing that my savage flux when I started running 6S with 3.8" trenchers, I blew out two tires in the first 5 minutes. Pulled the wrapped 3.8 trenchers off my outcast and had no issues. I did the same with traxxas maxx tires when I ran those on my outcast.

Tires seem to withstand 3S and 4S speeds, but 6S just wreaks havoc on them if your not careful with WOT in the air.

First I used 3-4 wraps of a 70lb kevlar string:
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg

Now I use a single wrap of 500lb kevlar string with a core. Here's a tire I have that has both. I haven't replaced the yellow smaller string yet as it hasn't broken, but it likely will:
2019-0925-ProlineTrencher3.8-70lb-vs-500lb.jpg

I have that on all my ERBEv2 3.8" trenchers now:
2019-0920-ERBEv2-ESCSide.jpg

With the 500lb stuff, actual knots are too big, so I just wrap the string around itself with a single knot like 3-4 times, pull it tight, then walk around the tire to seat the string down in the channel, pull it tight again, then I heavily glue the string to itself where it's wrapped around itself. Then I go around about every 3/4" and glue it to the tire. Seems to work well so far. Then if/when it breaks, I soak the string with acetone a few times, then as gently as I can, I peal it away from the tire and replace it. I haven't had the 500lb stuff break on me yet, but all the tires I put multiple wraps of the 70lb have. With the 70lb, I was able to make actual knots and they remained small enough to fit down in the channels of the tread.

I run mostly at concrete skate parks and a grass bmx track or at grass parks. So I don't see a lot of sharp rocks in my bashing.

Where can you get Kevlar string? Great idea. Ive tried the same, but not with Kevlar. I
I see it on AMZ . Thanks for the link. BTW, some tire 's tread patterns are much too staggered to allow for wrapping like this. Has that posed a problem with any of your other tires. Would it be wise to put a drop of CA on the knots?

Last edited:
I have used fishing braid and it has worked well. 65 lb or so will do the trick.

I have used fishing braid and it has worked well. 65 lb or so will do the trick.
Yeah I tried fishing line also. But it didn't last long for me. My method and line is probably off.:confused:

Yeah I tried fishing line also. But it didn't last long for me. My method and line is probably off.:confused:
Three times around with braided line lasted me 6 months. I did two rows on each tires. You can even go 4 times around. The stuff is tough.

Wrap them with kevlar. I've done that on all of mine I run in 6S trucks and so far, no blowouts or rips. Before doing that my savage flux when I started running 6S with 3.8" trenchers, I blew out two tires in the first 5 minutes. Pulled the wrapped 3.8 trenchers off my outcast and had no issues. I did the same with traxxas maxx tires when I ran those on my outcast.

Tires seem to withstand 3S and 4S speeds, but 6S just wreaks havoc on them if your not careful with WOT in the air.

First I used 3-4 wraps of a 70lb kevlar string:
2019-0328-ProlineTrencher3.8-KevlarLine.jpg

Now I use a single wrap of 500lb kevlar string with a core. Here's a tire I have that has both. I haven't replaced the yellow smaller string yet as it hasn't broken, but it likely will:
2019-0925-ProlineTrencher3.8-70lb-vs-500lb.jpg

I have that on all my ERBEv2 3.8" trenchers now:
2019-0920-ERBEv2-ESCSide.jpg

With the 500lb stuff, actual knots are too big, so I just wrap the string around itself with a single knot like 3-4 times, pull it tight, then walk around the tire to seat the string down in the channel, pull it tight again, then I heavily glue the string to itself where it's wrapped around itself. Then I go around about every 3/4" and glue it to the tire. Seems to work well so far. Then if/when it breaks, I soak the string with acetone a few times, then as gently as I can, I peal it away from the tire and replace it. I haven't had the 500lb stuff break on me yet, but all the tires I put multiple wraps of the 70lb have. With the 70lb, I was able to make actual knots and they remained small enough to fit down in the channels of the tread.

I run mostly at concrete skate parks and a grass bmx track or at grass parks. So I don't see a lot of sharp rocks in my bashing.

Thanks for the write up! I’ve considered doing this, so I guess I’ll give it a go. After the last set ripped I took the tires off and duct taped the insides and re-glued the as well as I could. They didn’t balloon at all, but ripped off the rim in about 2 minutes.

I always balance my tires after they have a break-in run. Every rig I own. I find that the tires last much longer between blow outs. And these BF and CH2 Arrma tires are severely unbalanced. Out of 6 pairs of BF's only one tire did not need any clay weight. Most don't bother to balance. But it works for me.

How do the backflips and copperhead 2 tires hold up on 6s? I have an Erevo 2.0 and I’m having a problem with the stock talon tires ripping off the wheels. I like the performance and grip level, but they just rip right at the bead and can’t really be re glued with any reliability. I watched 1 review of the copperhead 2 tires and the guy said they do fine on 4s, but on 6s they rip off (just like the traxxas tires.
I haven't had any issues with either Copperhead 2s or Backflips on my 6S trucks after I vented them. I occasionally do some street bashing with them but mostly off road on fields where I can run full throttle and some ramp jumping. Now that I've vented them they have held up very well. How many times did I say "vent"? I highly recommend venting these tires especially if running on 6S.

I vented my 2nd set, and they ripped faster than the first set.

The E-Revo was forged by the hand of God, along with all Teknos. It's sheer awesomeness will shred any tire. You must pray to the Lord Almighty that he will make a tire capable of handling your incredible machine. Light a few candles at church too.

The E-Revo was forged by the hand of God, along with all Teknos. It's sheer awesomeness will shred any tire. You must pray to the Lord Almighty that he will make a tire capable of handling your incredible machine. Light a few candles at church too.
Preach!
Maybe it’s the evil black paint job I just slapped on it.
490C85C4-A00A-4E5A-80DE-93047C3B798A.jpeg

Last edited:
I think really your tires are failing when the power is transfered to one wheel. I never saw any brand rc car blowing tires when the 4tires are receiving the same power across. Or maybe your running 8s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back