Could a Spectrum 150a handle a Hobbystar 4092?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longhaulrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Mojave
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Senton 3s
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Typhon 6s
  12. Vendetta
  13. Vorteks
I ordered a Kraton today, and I'm going to take the electronics from it and put into my slider Typhon 6s. I was faced with either buying a stock power system from eBay, or doing something a little different. I was looking at a Max6 and the hobbystar 1730kv, or another spektrum 150 with the hobbystar. The reason I want that particular motor is because I saw one of Rich Duperbash's videos and I liked the way the truck performed, or if any other recommendations. I used to be a crawler guy, so the only brushless stuff I know is what came stock in all of my existing Arrmas, TIA

It will be fine, I use a spektrum 150a with a tp 4050 2100kv and it handles it like a champ geared for 75 mph. TP motor way harder on an esc than a hobbystar too!

Welcome to the forums!!

I’d go max8v3 if you can, I know that will be fine heavily geared.

The spektrum 150A geared for speed will probably cut on a larger wattage motor, keep the gearing reasonable and it’ll be fine.

Specs are listed for the 4092 on RC Juice website.. the 1730kv can draw 160a continuous, Firma 150 is only rated to 150a continuous..
Will it work? Sure, how long..🤷‍♂️
I'd want at least a matching spec'd esc for that motor..the Firma 150 wouldn't be my choice, max8 g2 either. They're both known to release the magic smoke prematurely. Max6 is your cheapest option IMO. Your call of course✌
FWIW.. I've been running a Surpass 4092 (1650kv) for a while, it's been in 3 different rigs, lightest being a K6 EXB. Hobao 150a esc hits thermal in about 5 min. No issues when connected to a max6 in either the kraton or mojave exb..
Now that motor is in a Kraton XL with mojave bumpers, so pretty heavy. I have a POS Traxxas vxl8s in it, I don't think the vxl is long for this world honestly..2 runs and it already smells burnt,LOL. What a turd the vxl8s is!!

Last edited:
I ran a Firma 150a with a HobbyStar 4092 1730kv motor before switching to a max6. It ran fine for the very brief amount of time I had it in there. Just make sure you watch the temps. Like others have mentioned not ideal but will work.

One thing I would do right away, if you haven’t done it already, is turn down the timing on the esc. The default value is way to high and can cause excess heat

Edit: FWIW I currently use this motor with my Firma 150a in my Outcast 6s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3345643466...9ZSA_QMTNe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have the 1450kv variant. - which for some strange reason is triple the price of this one now :eek:

Last edited:
I ran a Firma 150a with a HobbyStar 4092 1730kv motor before switching to a max6. It ran fine for the very brief amount of time I had it in there. Just make sure you watch the temps. Like others have mentioned not ideal but will work.

One thing I would do right away, if you haven’t done it already, is turn down the timing on the esc. The default value is way to high and can cause excess heat

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3345643466...9ZSA_QMTNe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have the 1450kv variant.
1450kv doesn't pull as many amps as the 1730kv.. it also depends greatly on the weight of the vehicle it's installed in. A lightweight, low resistance (road) rig could get away with it, but a large tire off road or heavy rig will pull too many amps.

I have the 1450kv variant.
Definitely a good tip!! turning down the timing will help a lot. That motor looks like an unbranded hobbywing to me, amazing price if so!

I also want to add, the wifey used the spektrum 150a with a tp 4060 1750kv in her outcast for a bit. Eventually I put in a max 6 but the spektrum esc worked fine. She is not someone who jams the throttle all day though and iirc she was geared for about 50 mph with backflip lp's.

Definitely a good tip!! turning down the timing will help a lot. That motor looks like an unbranded hobbywing to me, amazing price if so!

I also want to add, the wifey used the spektrum 150a with a tp 4060 1750kv in her outcast for a bit. Eventually I put in a max 6 but the spektrum esc worked fine. She is not someone who jams the throttle all day though.
I have a couple of motors like that..they look just like a Surpass, which looks like a Hobbystar, which looks like a Hobbywing.. I got bets they're all made by the same kids in the same building!!🤣🤣😝

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'll probably go Max6, I was just trying to save some pennies, but I like to drive em hard, so it'll pay off in the long run.

Question though, I have the hobbywing programming card from my 1080 in my crawlers, will this little box also work with the Max6?

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'll probably go Max6, I was just trying to save some pennies, but I like to drive em hard, so it'll pay off in the long run.

Question though, I have the hobbywing programming card from my 1080 in my crawlers, will this little box also work with the Max6?
I have an old Turnigy programming card from Hobbyking. It works on all my Hobbywing and Hobbywing rebranded esc's such as Hobao, Redcat, Corally..no problem. Of course it's just the basics, no software updates or anything like that.
Looks just like this..
https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-LE...ocphy=9004743&hvtargid=pla-526291860188&psc=1

Screenshot_20230322-150654_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have an old Turnigy programming card from Hobbyking. It works on all my Hobbywing and Hobbywing rebranded esc's such as Hobao, Redcat, Corally..no problem. Of course it's just the basics, no software updates or anything like that.
Looks just like this..
https://www.amazon.com/HobbyWing-LE...ocphy=9004743&hvtargid=pla-526291860188&psc=1

View attachment 287377
Yerp, that's the exact one I have, heck I think I have two of them. That means I can program it to be twice as powerful right 😉

What's the stock pinion size on a K6S and what pinion should I be at with the 1730. I'm not looking for a speed runner, just close to stock speed and bashing at the local bmx track

Stock on the Kraton 6s is 12t.

I currently use a 20t with the 1730kv Max6 combo on my XLWB 6s. I do have two 40mm fans for cooling as well.

C044C7B0-BBCD-45CA-B1DB-68483AECC188.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back