Kraton Custom QUAD Cooling Fans & Motor Support Brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you must have had the outer screw holes on the fan plate going through into the motor brackets?

Because of different lengths of 40xx cans and how different chassis and other accessories that could be in the way, those brackets (MAY) not line up with those screw holes on the Fan Plate -to be used as securing points in every vehicle setup...

If you look closely, I made the Fan Plates' "securing rails" the entire length of the plate, so you can slide the brackets to where ever you need to "clear obstacles" -either on your motor itself (cables, screws, built-in ribs for cooling etc) or things around the chassis near the motor.
Which means that those brackets may not even be where it needs to be aligned with those screws...

Because of different lengths of 40xx cans and how different chassis and other accessories that could be in the way, those brackets (MAY) not line up with those screw holes on the Fan Plate -to be used as securing points in every vehicle setup...

If you look closely, I made the Fan Plates' "securing rails" the entire length of the plate, so you can slide the brackets to where ever you need to "clear obstacles" -either on your motor itself (cables, screws, built-in ribs for cooling etc) or things around the chassis near the motor.
Which means that those brackets may not even be where it needs to be aligned with those screws...
Makes sense 👍

Just a thought ..what if instead of the plates sliding into place they are bolted to the motor mounts with alignment “tabs” or “ears”on the corners to keep it square…just I love the slide plate idea but will still be an easy swap if wanting to change plates and assembly..just a thought

🤔 seems u thought of that already 🤔
Thank you guys for all the compliments and feedback!

I still have a few things I need to fine tune.. Make sure it's overall a solid mount..
Also need to decide if this should be a friction fit or will need some sort of clamp to hold it in place.. For both the fans plate and the motor brackets...

Plus, I'm thinking of designing in a Temperature Probe/Sensor Holder into the mount or have it as a separate
Great idea then the fans can actuate at set temperature ! And I’m sure you’ll figure out the plate mounting solution…drifters and lot/dirt bashers are gonna love this design !! It’s Looking good bud !..can’t wait !

Last edited:

Alright..
I think I solved the fan plate mounting issue..

1666735540914.png

1666736332500.png

Designing in Custom Multi-Axis Clamps -as part of the brackets- allows for a much easier method of inserting & securing the Fan Plates into the Motor Brackets.

It also helps make the install of the brackets onto the motor a bit simpler too ,you can slide the brackets on without having to completely removing the motor off from your Stock or PPS motor plates.

Will upload photos soon..
Just need to do some test print calibrations of these new parts ,to make sure they come out correctly.

Genius! Can’t wait ! Gonna be awesome! 🙏🙏 gonna need setup for my bashers Also for sure ! The orders/request for these gonna give your printer a workout ! 💪

So I got the New Brackets printed ,along with a couple of 35mm Fan Plates..

Here they are..

IMG_20221024_133739562.jpg

IMG_20221024_150955996.jpg

IMG_20221026_232952757_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233139315_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233148103_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233026818.jpg

IMG_20221026_233031829.jpg

I only had a pair of 35mm fans..
But, that's enough to get a feel of how they look mounted and what another pair would look like if installed..
IMG_20221026_233045677_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233122885_HDR.jpg

So, preliminary observations...

This QUAD Fans setup has some restrictions.. or actually motor length requirements.

The design looks perfect in CAD and would fit & accommodate the "virtual 40xx motor" but once you have the whole system in hand and try it on -on an actual motor... You'll notice it requires the Motor Can itself to be a certain length to allow for maximum effect..

It'll work best on 4080 or Longer Cans..

I'm using a 4070 in my testing and there's going to be issues.

IMG_20221026_233100475_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233057395_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221026_233115331_HDR.jpg

As you can see..
The brackets are butting up against the motor cables/harness and on the other end will hit the motor mounting plate (once you try to mount that...)
On short Cans ,there's just not enough room to push out the brackets far enough apart -to not have it block the airflow under the fans...

Now if the motors are Longer than there's no problems at all. (Which I don't own any of those TP 40100 size motors to demonstrate.)
But y'all get the idea.

So for 4070s or shorter ,this setup doesn't seem to work.

I'm going to have to think up another way to hold the Fan Plates ,for shorter motors..
Maybe a Single Center Bracket of some sort..

OK I'm here to make everyone laugh and/or roll their eyes.
So....would there be a way to make a pyramid shape with a fan on each side (front and back) that sends the air down together onto the motor?
May still need smaller fans but two smaller fans can = more than one bigger fan (depends on fan of course).
This could be done on top and side of motor to = 4 fans.

The Office Reaction GIF

I’m curious if this will actually improve temps… I have experience with gaming computer builds and right angle intake/exhaust fans rarely work. In some occasions the cooling is actually worse because the exhaust is pulling the cool intake air away from computer. It’s pretty easy to test because it’s a controlled environment and you can run synthetic benchmarks which makes comparing results easy. In my experience, right angle setups are only for aesthetics and usually require one of the fans to be run at low rpms….

I’m curious if this will actually improve temps… I have experience with gaming computer builds and right angle intake/exhaust fans rarely work. In some occasions the cooling is actually worse because the exhaust is pulling the cool intake air away from computer. It’s pretty easy to test because it’s a controlled environment and you can run synthetic benchmarks which makes comparing results easy. In my experience, right angle setups are only for aesthetics and usually require one of the fans to be run at low rpms….
I was thinking more of all fans blowing in and letting the hot air exit the from the bottom/sides.

So in regards to monitoring the temps..

I've integrated a temperature sensor holder into the brackets >

The sensor is clamped right up & directly against the side of the motor can. (You can see it in the photo.)
IMG_20221026_233839314_HDR.jpg

Simple off the shelf temperature-sensor circuit with fan control below, I've made a case for it.
IMG_20221026_233950579_HDR.jpg

Ultimately, to have a self regulating system that can turn on or off the fans ,depending on user set temperature thresholds..
Or a combination - where one fan is always on ,and as the temps go up, more fans come online?

Just some my of random thoughts/ideas..
Who knows.. may not even work in an "enclose space" of a rig ,as it is now...

Will have to wait and see.

Last edited:
So in regards to monitoring the temps..

I've integrated a temperature sensor holder into the brackets >

The sensor is clamped right up & directly against the side of the motor can. (You can see it in the photo.)
View attachment 252499

Simple off the shelf temperature-sensor circuit with fan control below, I've made a case for it.
View attachment 252500

Ultimately, to have a self regulating system that can turn on or off the fans ,depending on user set temperature thresholds..
Or a combination - where one fan is always on ,and as the temps go up, more fans come online?

Just some my of random thoughts/ideas..
Who knows.. may not even work in an "enclose space" of a rig ,as it is now...

Will have to wait and see.
I have a control board that runs fans on low and then when the temp sensor warms up it will progressively run the fans higher.
If you want to test it out I can lend it to you. I need to return your solder anyway...

Or maybe its the one you have already?

I have a control board that runs fans on low and then when the temp sensor warms up it will progressively run the fans higher.
If you want to test it out I can lend it to you. I need to return your solder anyway...

Or maybe its the one you have already?

Mine's about 44mm W x 50mm L
Is your's a smaller board than that? If so, please let me know.

Last edited:
Mine's about 44mm W x 50mm L
Is your's a smaller board than that? If so, please let me know.
Nope identical, likely the same one.... I had already designed a 3d printed box for it. I'll send it your way and see if you like it.

Nope identical, likely the same one.... I had already designed a 3d printed box for it. I'll send it your way and see if you like it.

Thank you greatly!

Files received.
Thank you.

This QUAD Fans setup has some restrictions.. or actually motor length requirements.

The design looks perfect in CAD and would fit & accommodate the "virtual 40xx motor" but once you have the whole system in hand and try it on -on an actual motor... You'll notice it requires the Motor Can itself to be a certain length to allow for maximum effect..

View attachment 252487

View attachment 252488

View attachment 252489

As you can see..
The brackets are butting up against the motor cables/harness and on the other end will hit the motor mounting plate (once you try to mount that...)
On short Cans ,there's just not enough room to push out the brackets far enough apart -to not have it block the airflow under the fans...

Now if the motors are Longer than there's no problems at all. (Which I don't own any of those TP 40100 size motors to demonstrate.)
But y'all get the idea.

I'm going to have to think up another way to hold the Fan Plates ,for shorter motors..

.I know this kills the

View attachment 252487

View attachment 252488

View attachment 252489

As you can see..

But y'all get the idea.

A center brace is a good solution that doubles as the mount and the main fans support then maybe zip ties on the ends with contoured to the motor spacers with holes for the zip ties to go thru

Hey Tex was just thinking the 2050 kv is 74 and the 4070 to is 82 I don’t think that’ll make the difference in fitting on your latest prototype but I was thinking:
1. Make just the rear motor mount where it clears the leads ,and then a center support that goes between top fan plate and motor mount between the fans contoured to the motor on the bottom and flat on top to mount top fan plate ..that attaches to the mount .also could do a bottom half brace made the same way but with slots for zip ties ..also was thinking make the fan mount at shaft side of motor and let them over hang kinda like this dual setup in the pic but if had a side plate for fans and another half barrel or u clamp on bottom to secure and maybe a contoured piece at end of mount on top before leads for strength and a reg motor mount u skated in from the back u could also use the front of that motor mount (shaft side) to secure fan assembly at shaft side ..

Just some thoughts ..I’m the dreamer your the engineer 🙏🙏🙏🙏

image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back