Custom scratch build: 4s extended Bandit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for ya. I've noticed with the 2wd TRX rigs that the rear suspension seems to stiffen up on throttle. What causes this and is there a way to tune these things so the suspension still works under throttle? Seems like too much "anti squat" going on.
I adjusted spring preload so that the arms are level at rest, but as soon as I start driving, the rear suspension is at full extension. Weird. On throttle these things skip around terribly over bumpy terrain. I'm hoping there's a way to circumvent this torquing of the suspension while on throttle.
Otherwise, these things have been an absolute blast on my track. My brother bought the latest vxl rustler w/272r transmission and gifted me the xl5 bandit AND his old vxl rustler. They're a handful on the track, fun though.👍
I'm guessing the Fast Lane setup with the motor in front of the transmission reverses this effect?🤔

I have a question for ya. I've noticed with the 2wd TRX rigs that the rear suspension seems to stiffen up on throttle. What causes this and is there a way to tune these things so the suspension still works under throttle? Seems like too much "anti squat" going on.
I adjusted spring preload so that the arms are level at rest, but as soon as I start driving, the rear suspension is at full extension. Weird. On throttle these things skip around terribly over bumpy terrain. I'm hoping there's a way to circumvent this torquing of the suspension while on throttle.
Otherwise, these things have been an absolute blast on my track. My brother bought the latest vxl rustler w/272r transmission and gifted me the xl5 bandit AND his old vxl rustler. They're a handful on the track, fun though.👍
I'm guessing the Fast Lane setup with the motor in front of the transmission reverses this effect?🤔
Motor reversal made a BIG difference. I'm running 45wt shock oil rear, 40wt front right now and it seems to be just right for smooth to moderate terrain, if I go somewhere a little rougher I notice a little more bounce than I care for in the rear if I don't lower the spring tension.

Traxxas website says the stock bandit weighs 4 pounds (48oz), mine is 6.2 pounds without the battery running Trencher LPs all the way around, I'm sure that makes a difference. The extended Fast Lane chassis is about the same weight as stock. My weight increase mostly comes from the Max10 sct, 3670 motor, 4mm toe and camber links, and I run 6 ounces of stick on weights in the front to balance it better with the rear. :cool:

Motor reversal made a BIG difference. I'm running 45wt shock oil rear, 40wt front right now and it seems to be just right for smooth to moderate terrain, if I go somewhere a little rougher I notice a little more bounce than I care for in the rear if I don't lower the spring tension.

Traxxas website says the stock bandit weighs 4 pounds (48oz), mine is 6.2 pounds without the battery running Trencher LPs all the way around, I'm sure that makes a difference. The extended Fast Lane chassis is about the same weight as stock. My weight increase mostly comes from the Max10 sct, 3670 motor, 4mm toe and camber links, and I run 6 ounces of stick on weights in the front to balance it better with the rear. :cool:
Thanks! Yeah, I got some tuning to do.. they are a blast to drive on a track though, even stock on 2s. They're just so sensitive to inputs, easy to over drive. One day I hope to build out an FLM version.👍🍻

Extended Bandit chassis is out of stock right now so im doing a second 1/8 scale Stampede build, street truck style. With all the parts from the Bandit. Only need the chassis, chasss braces and bulkhead to complete it.
I know the Stampede seems like an odd choice for a street build, but im confident it will be awesome!😁😎

Holy…..

That thing is sick! And so retro! I am envious good sir.
Cost? Bandits are around $300 bucks. The parts for upgrade are off budget.

I could not ever drive something like that off road! Too sexy!

I do have a Typhon with a 7mm custom chassis I got 3-4 years ago. Finally rebuilt buggy, I need to actually run it and tune.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back