Infraction Sid's Infraction V2 Scratch Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCSid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
Having a blast with the K6s, and while I have a bunch of parts stockpiled to proceed with that build, nothing major has failed so I just keep running it.
Sooo, after spending a bunch of time doing some research I decided to do an Infraction V2 build from scratch. I know that the Perfect Pass Carbon Chassis was going to be the first piece of the build. I shopped fleaBay, Jenny's etc and grabbed a bunch of take-offs that I was going to need and then started placing other orders.

Perfect Pass
Matte Carbon Chassis (love it, work of art)
Ultimate Driveshaft Kit

Scorched
Ti skid plates
Hinge pin holders
Carbon chassis brace
Carbon servo holder
Other Ti and Carbon bits...

M2C
CF front splitter
CF shock towers
CF Ackerman plate
CF Steering Plate

RamJam
Ti F & R CVD/drive shafts
Ti pillow balls
Ti shock stand-offs

PPS motor mount

Avid Bearings

Arrma take-offs for much of the other necesary stuff.

Things still outstanding;

Deciding on a motor/ESC combo. My primary intentions at this point are to bash and maybe do a few speed runs. I know that it's one or the other, but I do want the flexibility to change the gearing and go fast if I want to. I feel like I would like to break 100mph at least once. I do plan to go with a Castle setup, I have been going back and forth between XLX2 2028/1100kv or MMX8s 1717/1650kv. I know that the MMX8s setup would be all that I would need, but then I think what if someday I want to change it up and focus on speed (and there's there's the keeping temps down thought too...) Comments welcome.

Servo. I do have a promodeler waiting to be installed in my K6s. I did the research when choosing that servo, so I may go with a promodeler here too, or perhaps a SAVOX.

Body. I will likely get a take-off 6s body, but would want to do something different as well.

Wheels. I do have a few sets of GRP's on order to start. Been researching rim options for Vipaz solids.

This is my first on-road car, so I'd like t hear any feedback and/or opinions. Looking forward to starting assembly as the remainder of the parts start to roll in.

IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg

Last edited:
Getting a little work and sorting done while I am waiting for more parts to move forward. Since I don't know Arrma all that well (but learning pretty quickly), I have to sort and layout parts accordingly so I can get a visual of the assembly. I am in the process of servicing the Diffs before installing, but waiting for the bearings before I can finish them. Also draining and refilling shocks as they had very poor motion from the factory. One thing that I have found is that I will have to file the PP Chassis approx 1mm to accommodate the FR Scorched hinge pin holder.
Did get; Lots of wheels to be burned up in the future, PP Ultimate Center Driveshafts, PP QS8 Connectors, Promodeler Servo...
IMG_0950.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0949.jpg
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0953.jpg

Finally got parts that I was waiting on to keep moving forward with this build.
- Diffs rebuilt w aluminum diff cups and shimmed (getting used to the Arrma shim nuances..)
- Mocking up how/where I am going to lay out everything. Not there yet. Need to try a few more configurations.
- I did want to run a center diff to start, but, with the PP Ultimate Driveshaft Kit its a not go due to the larger 3.5mm pin size and the ball ends of the shafts being
larger too. I am trying to figure out a work around, but it's not looking hopeful. So I will run the provided spool. I will say that I think that PP should have a better
solution to spacing the center spool than a couple dozen shims. I am looking for 8mm bore Ti or Aluminum spacers.
- In the process now of rebuilding the shocks.
- After all of this effort in this build, I did leave some stock stuff that I don't think really need upgrading, but I am kicking myself for not doing to bell crank/servo
saver. Was thinking to order the scorched one. I do have a HR one that I can use, but haven't decided yet.
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

Making some more progress, but still waiting on parts to arrive before I can start to tie things up. I had to change up the center driveshafts and I am going to start out with Scorched's Trident setup. I want to run a center diff to start out with and its a no go with he PP Ultimate CF/Ti setup, so I will save them for when I want to run it with a spool.

Recent work

Scorched Bell Crank
Scorched Trident Center Driveshafts
Scorched Ackerman Plate Bearings
Scorched Ti Shock Pins
Scorched CF Servo Mount
Scorched Ti Turnbuckles
RamJam Ti F&R Hinge Pins

Promodeler Servo

Arma Center Diff 200k/46T

M2C Pillow Ball Retainers

GPM Rear Diffuser Mounts

Getting there.... but still lots to do.

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

Last edited:
Few more arrivals today and was able to get a few things done. Finally able to put a set of wheels on along with the body that I need to finalize a paint plan for.

RamJam Ti 17mm Hexes
Aluminum Sway Bar Links

Still waiting on CF ESC Mount and Shock parts to rebuild the shocks.

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

Managed to set the permanent layout for everything; drilled and countersunk everything. Started to solder, but that didn't last too long as my soldering iron poop the bed after about 10 min. It was a Radio Shack special that is about 20yrs old. Was just enough time to solder the cap pack to the ESC. Waiting on a few nonsense Arrma items to start finalizing the assembly.
IMG_1157.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate the link.
But man those linkages are pricey for what they are..
Especially when I want to get 5 sets...
Yes, I agree. If not already going all out on this build, I wouldn't have gotten them. I wouldn't put them on my K6S.
Although, when looking, it would be $20 approx to replace them from Arrma the way that they are sold, but you'd have a lot spare random parts..

Was able to get a few things done and it's finally starting to look like a car!
Installted:
Scorched T2T Brace
Scorched Ti Skids (they sent me the wrong rears, so I need to wait for them)
RCP 2x 40X28mm fans
Rebuilt Shocks (Rebuilt the shocks with 3k fluid and upgraded 'machined' parts. Huge difference in motion, they are very smooth now.)
Titanium Shock Pins

Working on small details and waiting for a few odds & ends. I need to sort out the electronics. Not sure if I need to run a dedicated lipo for the servo and fans?

Then I need to paint the body, I have a good idea, however I suck at painting.
IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

Waiting on a few minor things to finish this up. I was doing comparison to other Arrma models and came across that the Lim2 has a wider rear track than the Lim1/Inf/Fel by 3mm per side. The rear axles are 39mm on the Lim2 vs 36mm on the Infraction. They all use the same front CVD axles at 33.5mm. So I got to thinking and I liked that idea that I could widen the stance by 6mm in both the front and rear by changing the drive axles. I found that the Talion front CVD axles are 36.5mm and went with them. I did have to get Wheel hexes with the 3mm offset that pretty much all of the 6s rigs use. See pics below of the wider stance (+3mm on the left). Not a major difference, but it should handle a bit better and looks better with the body on. And, while I was ordering the Ti wheel hexes from RamJam, I saw that they are now offering Ti hinge pins, so I picked them up too.
IMG_1233.jpg

17D7CCAD-3282-40C5-828B-83E83020ECF2.JPG

3F201FDA-7F58-4882-BB30-B400598CD463.JPG

Oh Yeah, and I painted the body. Didn't come out anything like I had planned. I used a Spaz Stix color change and went heavy on the panel and light on the rest of the truck. The main color was meant to be anvil grey but the color change laid much darker than I imagnined that it would. So, oh well, looks ok though. A bunch of imperfections close up, but it'll look just fine wizzing around or at 10ft away
IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

Last edited:
well, I was finally able to take the Infraction out for its inaugural drive today. It is about 90% done at this point. Things that I have done;
-Finally figured out the electronics; running a Lilon for the servo & fans ( THX @Dan B. for answering the flurry of PM's)
-Servo arm which I used a Ti turnbuckle and Yeah Racing aluminum rod ends
-Reinstalled the Perfect Pass ultimate driveshaft
-Cleaned-up and covered the wiring (somewhat, to be continued..)
-Used a bunch of GR5 Ti screws in non-stress areas
-Installed Scorched battery mounts w Saga racing straps
-Perfect Pass body mounts
-Started out with 21/46T

There is a small list of things to finish up;
-Continue to try and figure out a way to run a center diff with the 1721 motor
-Clean up the wires a bit
-Go back and touch-up the body (and prep a new body also). Nows that I have driven it, there are some point underneath where things touch/rub the body
-Spend more time learning about the RC8X and the XLX2

It has been very fulfilling building a car from scratch which I had no idea about. As my first On-road car, it is exactly how I would want it using all the parts that I would've wanted to.

IMG_1464.jpg
IMG_1443.jpg
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

-Servo arm which I used a Ti turnbuckle and Yeah Racing aluminum rod ends
How did you like the aluminum rod ends? The servo arm was something I was pondering for an upcoming build, and it’s one of the last places where I haven’t had total success getting rid of slop.
It has been very fulfilling building a car from scratch which I had no idea about. As my first On-road car, it is exactly how I would want it using all the parts that I would've wanted to.
The Lim I just finished was my first 1/7 road car, too. All of mine before that were Typhon based 328mm builds. It was a fun learning experience. And wow, the available real estate!
Was glad to help, although I think John did most of the work. 😊
Very nice, clean build. Well done, man!

Back