Kraton Did Arrma need to redesign the diffs in the EXB?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horizonhobby is shipping lsd diffs. I screwed my adress when they sended my lsd plates under warranty they canceled the order and now i guess i have to wait lol

Did Arrma really need to redesign the diffs in the EXB? Did we really need LSD diffs? Could they have just used stronger pins and upped the center diff fluid to 300k-500k?

I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel and it blew up in their faces. The V4 diffs are fine and people have run 8S through them without issue. I would have no issues if they used the same diffs.

What do you guys think, especially the people that bought one. Would you have still bought it if the diffs were the same as the RTR?
You read my mind brother ! I sold my EXB because iam not dealing with that and also because i have to many projects going on . If it ain’t broke don’t fix it . V4 diffs in HR diff cases shimmed correctly with the fluid of your choice has been bullet proof combo for heavy bashing in my experience.??

The ring gear and outdrives of the exb diffs = good. If the outdrives would fit the v4 diff case I would just transplant the ring gear and outdrives to a v4.

Last edited:
Did Arrma really need to redesign the diffs in the EXB? Did we really need LSD diffs? Could they have just used stronger pins and upped the center diff fluid to 300k-500k?
What do you guys think, especially the people that bought one. Would you have still bought it if the diffs were the same as the RTR?
One of the first things that caught my eye when they teased this truck was the mention of upgraded diffs, the red bits are all fine and good but really I think they are just a bit of bling..? the braces aren't even 7075..!!
I like the idea of a lighter Kraton sure, but I think I'll be swapping out a few parts from my V4. ( center braces, servo mount )
Do I regret buying it, well that's a tough question for me to answer at the moment as I've not even driven mine yet as I'm still waiting to shim the rear diff..!!
Getting those LSD plates is near impossible here in the UK, I think ETA is October 11th ?
I have other shims to experiment with on my rear diff I will post my findings, hopefully this weekend.??

To answer your last question, no I wouldn't have bought it if it had V4 diffs.
I agree with you on the, Arrma tried to re-invent the wheel and failed.
This whole diff issue is a bit of a ?storm for them I think, and I'll be very interested to see how going forward they resolve this problem..

Larger gear surfaces would have been all they needed to do.
Agreed, all they really needed to do was increase surface area, would have been good to get rid of the pin system and replace it with the gears sitting on splines like a real car ?

Honestly I haven’t had enough remote time to tell you. At the moment, I’m waiting on a warranty diff and some of those damn lsd plates everyone says work but no one can get their hands on. But I have some coming ?I really think they Poorly executed the rear diff design tho in my opinion. I feel like it was a last minute effort to try and push the launch date instead of trying to figure out a more solid design for the non lsd rear with the bigger bite ring and pinions. Has anyone at all had any issues with center and front diffs? I have only heard mention of rear diff issues.

I saw one guy in my facebook group locslly chipping one teeth on the center diff sun gear
4071A85B-518B-4C55-851F-90B5CCD55F5D.jpeg
Honestly I haven’t had enough remote time to tell you. At the moment, I’m waiting on a warranty diff and some of those damn lsd plates everyone says work but no one can get their hands on. But I have some coming ?I really think they Poorly executed the rear diff design tho in my opinion. I feel like it was a last minute effort to try and push the launch date instead of trying to figure out a more solid design for the non lsd rear with the bigger bite ring and pinions. Has anyone at all had any issues with center and front diffs? I have only heard mention of rear diff issues.
I think if you can close the diffs and have 3 shims on every side then i think its a good idea to do it i menaged to put a third shim on my center diff decided to take it out and fellow jason advice i hope i did the right choice
Wait wtf the chassi braces are not 7075?.? Kinda suck i thougth almost every alluminum bit was 7075

Last edited:
I think, like you said. I would have been happy with the same design, but just stronger, machined gears. they have a metal diff cup already. EXB in my mind is the metal diff cup and better grade metal gears. boom. extreme.
It's a monster truggy. How much better does it need to handle? ? I was perfectly happy with the handling of my since sold V3. I ran 1 mil in the center and it handles fine with the 4092 powerplant.
Totally agree. Im not racing the thing. it turns just as I expected it to, better than the v4 even. Although the LSD, makes for a different driving experience. I like it! Its Cushy and Powerful at the same time.

Last edited:

I really think they tried to reinvent the wheel and it blew up in their faces. The V4 diffs are fine and people have run 8S through them without issue. I would have no issues if they used the same diffs.

It's a question that has more than one answer Ed. Maybe they could have just left the internals alone, but that new input gear plus the beefier ring gear are a welcome addition. Maybe they should just tweak that V4 with those two parts. Others would say that the internal planetary gear and those pins were too weak for hardcore bashing, but I don't think so myself. I think it's an evolution and they're trying to be as forward thinking as possible. Maybe they jumped the gun this time, but I'm sure they'll iron it out in no time. It's a hobby right? Take the good with the bad and carry on. If you can't afford to fix it if it breaks, you've picked the wrong hobby. Now about that rock in your yard...........⛏⛏⛏

I think my EXB is the best driving Arrma I own. I’m one of the lucky ones I guess because mine has been flawless through 11 6s packs so far. I’m running a Max 6 with a 4092 1730kv motor and an 18 tooth pinion. Not stupid power but plenty enough. I’m no Bickteybam but I do bash pretty hard and love airtime. I think the lsd’s are a big reason it drives so good however I do not want to go lsd in the rear.

I've had my Kraton for 4 months and I've shattered 5 sun gears and lots of pins. Not sure what i'm doing that is causing it.
Landing on throttle. Takes time to make that stop, but it's a very likely candidate

It's a question that has more than one answer Ed. Maybe they could have just left the internals alone, but that new input gear plus the beefier ring gear are a welcome addition. Maybe they should just tweak that V4 with those two parts. Others would say that the internal planetary gear and those pins were too weak for hardcore bashing, but I don't think so myself. I think it's an evolution and they're trying to be as forward thinking as possible. Maybe they jumped the gun this time, but I'm sure they'll iron it out in no time. It's a hobby right? Take the good with the bad and carry on. If you can't afford to fix it if it breaks, you've picked the wrong hobby. Now about that rock in your yard...........⛏⛏⛏
I think theres more than one reason why the rear diff is failing you can put as many shims as you want and still have reports of the diff failing after 5 mins of street run. So far the asnwer from arrma is shim the diffs and thats pretty much it or buy the lsd plates no annoncement of any other fix yet after a month the car has been released

Or make machined gears? Idk the price of that tho

Arrma doesn’t want to invest money here as it’s cheaper to buy cast gears in volume. Manufacturers such as Mugen Seiki (and a few others) understands the importance of quality gears. Simply put, Arrma is all about numbers, not the quality, and rely on the consumers to be their ginea pigs. This fiasco with the LSD units will not cost Arrma anything as they will charge us for replacement parts required.

I would have rather have machined diff gears than all the blingy, non-7076 aluminum eye candy.

Arrma doesn’t want to invest money here as it’s cheaper to buy cast gears in volume. Manufacturers such as Mugen Seiki (and a few others) understands the importance of quality gears. Simply put, Arrma is all about numbers, not the quality, and rely on the consumers to be their ginea pigs. This fiasco with the LSD units will not cost Arrma anything as they will charge us for replacement parts required.

I would have rather have machined diff gears than all the blingy, non-7076 aluminum eye candy.
The 7075 stuff was needed chassia nd tower alone you are over hundres with m2c parts but the diffs i agree on that does mugen seiki makes gears for arrma diffs? I remember seeing sun gears compatible for the v4

The 7075 stuff was needed chassia nd tower alone you are over hundres with m2c parts but the diffs i agree on that does mugen seiki makes gears for arrma diffs? I remember seeing sun gears compatible for the v4

There is no 7075-stuff lol. It’s all lowend 6061 (if even) crap that’s been anodized red.

Yep. All my V4 diffs carry Mugen internals.

There is no 7075-stuff lol. It’s all lowend 6061 (if even) crap that’s been painted red.

Yep. All my V4 diffs carry Mugen internals.
The chassi and shock towers are 7075 t6 alluminum
"The KRATON™ EXtreme Bash (EXB) Roller Speed Monster Truck is assembled around a tough EXB chassis plate made of high-strength 7075-T6 aluminum. The chassis is anodized black and laser-etched with exclusive ARRMA EXB graphics."
"Adjustable coil-over-oil shock absorbers are mounted on strong 7075-T6 red anodized aluminum front and rear shock towers."
Both quotes taken from the arrma website

The chassi and shock towers are 7075 t6 alluminum
"The KRATON™ EXtreme Bash (EXB) Roller Speed Monster Truck is assembled around a tough EXB chassis plate made of high-strength 7075-T6 aluminum. The chassis is anodized black and laser-etched with exclusive ARRMA EXB graphics."
"Adjustable coil-over-oil shock absorbers are mounted on strong 7075-T6 red anodized aluminum front and rear shock towers."
Both quotes taken from the arrma website

Was referring to the chassis braces. Rather invest in all M2C parts.

The chassi braces are 6061 thougt they were 7075 until today kinda sucks
If you bent one of those chassis braces, you've done something terrible.

Need to find machined chassi braces locally but is it a big deal really? I don't think they can bend unless you go full speed into a wall
If you bent one of those chassis braces, you've done something terrible.
Lmao not saying they will bend i though they were 7075 thats it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back