Kraton Did I destroy my brand new Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Arrman

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello all,

So I bought a custom Kraton with a HPI Flux 2200kv, MAX8 esc, dBoots Backflips, and a "high speed pinion gear". It ran great for 2 packs, but then I realized my temps were 180+ because I was running offroad and like to learn lessons the hard way. Turns out the only way the HPI motor fits(3mm heatsinks all the way around) is with the motor mount slid all the way out, hence the "high speed pinion gear". So, bought a new motor(EZrun 2200) and all the Hot Racing aluminum parts that go inside the chassis.

During installation of the new HR parts, the Fast Eddy bearing would not press into the HR channel lock motor mount without extreme force, is that normal??
I ended up using a pliers to press the stock bearing, which was still attached to the center diff, into the HR motor mount.
I go out and run it and now it's slower than my daughters brushed 1/16. Seriously, does about 10mph. Better yet, it now leaks diff fluid from center diff cup.
Silver lining is my motor temps on that run never went above 100F, and when I took the center diff out, the truck rolls great so I think I know where my problem is.

My plan tentative to feedback is:
Build a new center diff with HR diff cup, mugen shims, all new internals, 200k fluid
Install 16T pinion gear from Tekno

My questions are:
Do I ream the inside of the HR motor mount where the bearing sits or press it in? How tight is too tight?
When shimming the center diff, is it the same as doing front/rear diffs?
Will a 16T be OK for bashing on both 4s and 6s?
Should I just buy a new Kraton?

Really appreciate any input here as I've only been into RCs for a couple months!

It sounds like you did one of two things.

Over shimed the diff to the point of not being able to move

Or possibly you damaged the bearing when you pressed it in.

This should be easy to determine by spinning the bearing in your hand and see if its smooth. If it spins freely then its not the bearing.

I would be leaning towards the bearing not fitting right causing tension

You know what you should do is put the stock motor mount back in and the fast eddy and see if the mount was crushing the bearingbearing too tight

I would contact hot racing for a new mount

Last edited:
When it comes to bearings, I find the best way to seat them it to place it so that it is even all the way around and then lightly press with equal force on opposite ends of the bearing. If one side goes in farther than the other, go to the other side and try to even it. If I can't get it even I will usually take the bearing it and start again. I have the HR motor mount and that is how I get the bearing in. It takes patience. If you have to force the bearing, that's not good.

Oh, I definitely would not ream the motor mount where the bearing sits.

Great feedback guys, thank you!

Sounds like my HR motor mount may be the underlying issue here. I will put the stock motor mount back in with a new center diff and see what happens.

EDIT: It was definitely the HR motor mount.

Put stock motor mount with new center diff and it runs perfectly! Will be sending back the HR mount.

Thanks again for the direction guys!

Last edited:
It sounds like you did one of two things.

Over shimed the diff to the point of not being able to move

Or possibly you damaged the bearing when you pressed it in.

This should be easy to determine by spinning the bearing in your hand and see if its smooth. If it spins freely then its not the bearing.

I would be leaning towards the bearing not fitting right causing tension

You know what you should do is put the stock motor mount back in and the fast eddy and see if the mount was crushing the bearingbearing too tight

I would contact hot racing for a new mount
I agree 100% the bearing should not have to be pressed into the mount.

Not to get way off track here, but why didn't the 2200kv motor fit? Did it hit the chassis or something due to the fins? Just curious as I have my old savage flux setup in a drawer... just sitting there... it didn't run nearly as hot as the stock setup in my outcast. Wish I had a scale to compare my flux to my outcast to see if they are that different in weight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back