Kraton Diff case cracked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't believe it held fluid w/o gasket.i thought the gaskets weren't that thick..no gasket would create the need for more shims then too????
It's a Rouge diff.

I always disassemble my diffs when new out the box. Perhaps this wouldn't have happened other wise.
But it did. Use mugen shims this time and thicker oil. Buy a spare set of gaskets. DIffs can leak with gaskets. I find it hard to believe this diff did not leak with thin 10k stock oil prior, and well ahead of its failure, without a gasket. That bulge in the case is from melting/heat. Diff case was not at fault.

I always disassemble my diffs when new out the box. Perhaps this wouldn't have happened other wise.
But it did. Use mugen shims this time and thicker oil. Buy a spare set of gaskets. DIffs can leak with gaskets. I find it hard to believe this diff did not leak with 10k stock oil prior, and well ahead of its failure, without a gasket. That bulge in the case is from melting/heat.

Idk man.. if it was heat it wouldn't be melted at the screw bore.. it would show signs of heat at the planetary gear location...🤷

But it did. Use mugen shims this time and thicker oil. Buy a spare set of gaskets. DIffs can leak with gaskets. I find it hard to believe this diff did not leak with thin 10k stock oil prior, and well ahead of its failure, without a gasket. That bulge in the case is from melting/heat. Diff case was not at fault.
I've never seen overheat with that much fluid still in it,no gasket, destroyed outdrives,no visible gear wear,diff cup in great shape besides that 1 spot.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ none of this makes sense to me
I think he just rebuilt this diff with a new ring gear and a new diff cup and old outdrives put it all back together screwed it up and it's never been ran like it is right now that's what I think
Diff oil is to clean also

Last edited:
We did not see the condition of the sat gear shims. And the cross pins can also get hot and since the pins sit against the the case, it can melt. The bulge is from heat distortion of the composite plastic. I've had many melted diffs before. We probably don't really know why or what parts caused this. Just rebuild it correctly and move on. Sure it could even be a defective case and no gasket and low on very thin oil etc. Probably just a domino effect failure. All with an unchecked diff when new out the box.
Could even be a piece of foreign metal in the oil when built at the factory. Had that happen to me also. I had a thread on this.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ear-diff-causing-the-diff-cup-to-break.15168/
Whatever the condition of the intenals, clearly there were high temps occuring. The melted bulged area makes this obvious.

Last edited:
Idk man.. if it was heat it wouldn't be melted at the screw bore.. it would show signs of heat at the planetary gear location...🤷
No. It wouldn't have melted the bore necessarily. Why would it?
The bulged area is where the high temp was isolated to. Plastic wont conduct heat. Just melts at the touch point of a high temp well over 250F. Which is the temp I measured when I melted my center:) diff. The whole diff case became a melted lump of gears and plastic. The crosspins even melted through the case poking outward. My worst melt down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back