Big Rock Diff Rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trexdd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 3s
Had the truck out yesterday, but I landed on power on one corner and broke the outdrive crown gear in the diff on the one side. I’ve got new parts coming to me but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this? Are the stock Arrma ones powdered sintered metal? Are there “upgraded” gears that can work in these diff cases that are milled?

Have a nice day everyone!

IMG_3528.jpeg

Had the truck out yesterday, but I landed on power on one corner and broke the outdrive crown gear in the diff on the one side. I’ve got new parts coming to me but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this? Are the stock Arrma ones powdered sintered metal? Are there “upgraded” gears that can work in these diff cases that are milled?

View attachment 353670
Welcome to the forum.

1) Yep... landing on WOT will do that. At least you admitted to it and know to avoid it. Arrma uses the cheapest material known to man to make their gears. I'm just thankful that they're not in the aviation industry cause the FAA/EASA/TCCA would surely shut them down. Fast.

2) No. We're pretty much stuck with those factory gears. I read somewhere that there is a possible Tekno unit that could fit but it hasn't been confirmed (to the best of my knowledge anyway). I do believe that the Techo unit had an OD larger than the Arrma unit and this causes an interference fit in the diff cup, but again, I haven't been following that thread.

An aluminum diff case can help. The plastic cases have flex and can flex enough for a sun gear to spin and strip the planetary's/visa/versa. Very common if they are not shimmed properly. The other is NOT doing exactly what you did;)

View attachment 353670
I've had this happen twice on my talion EXB. but when I tried to shim it it was too tight. take one shim out its too loose 🤷‍♂️

You can buy hardened gears from Vitavon. Just make sure you buy the correct ones. I have some in the rear of kraton and noto and they're holding up well so far...

Back