Typhon Diff Rebuild Issues 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfulcher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I am doing fluid replacment on all my diffs. Rear and center are done and working great. The front diff is acting kinda weird. I put it together and it was totally locked up. I have no idea why. I took it apart again, refitted everything, and even dry it binds when I hold it together. it just seems really strange and I can't figure out why. Has this happened to anyone else? I have done diff maintinance on AE, Tekno's, several others and never ran into issues.

Thanks

Don’t always follow the diagrams for what shims go where. The tolerances are always a bit different and each diff should be shimmed individually. Also, you refitted the gasket, right? If the gasket isn’t on the case they’ll bind up tight.

Check that the blocks that hold the pins have the chamfer out towards the case. I chased the same thing a while back and had one of them backwards.
ohh, ok I will look at that. That might be the ticket.
Don’t always follow the diagrams for what shims go where. The tolerances are always a bit different and each diff should be shimmed individually. Also, you refitted the gasket, right? If the gasket isn’t on the case they’ll bind up tight.
Yeah I thought about the gasket, I got a new one and test fit with the gasket on. I thought even the thickness of the gasket could make a difference. I will not that about the shims and check them. I tried to remember the order when I took it apart.

Ok, the blocks was the issue. There is just a slight taper to them on one side and not the other. That looks like it is enough to cause the issue. Flipped them and away we go!!! Thanks for all the help.

Check that the blocks that hold the pins have the chamfer out towards the case. I chased the same thing a while back and had one of them backwards.
I will assume the OP is talking about his standard Open RTR 6s diffs.
Not the EXB LSD ones. Your comment would only apply with EXB diffs.
Correct me if I misread your comment.:cool:

yeah, the tombstone orientation is important. Do yourself a favor and pick up a few aluminum cases to delete those. Typhon gp5 diffs create more heat due to smaller tire/higher RPM.

IDK, you guys lost me there.:LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back