Digging deeper into the Rocker posts/rod ends/ shock shafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwww you ordered some?? Im jealous. Haha. Def keep us updated! I'll prob order some after I order my nee esc/ motor..
If they work well.

Yeah, I said screw it lol. had a few bucks sitting in paypal. I also picked up some shock oils in 900, 1100 and 1300cst to dial things in.

I'll do a mini review for you guys unless someone beats me to it, with both stock rod ends and the associated, along with a couple additional setups. I've got a scale here that I can use to measure the suspension force over travel to compare the different settings on the arms too, to bring science into it. im interested to see how this goes.

I'd like to dial in a lofty progressive suspension that can handle some jumps.

Yeah, I said screw it lol. had a few bucks sitting in paypal. I also picked up some shock oils in 900, 1100 and 1300cst to dial things in.

I'll do a mini review for you guys unless someone beats me to it, with both stock rod ends and the associated, along with a couple additional setups. I've got a scale here that I can use to measure the suspension force over travel to compare the different settings on the arms too, to bring science into it. im interested to see how this goes.

Oooo that sounds great!! Im running losi 90wt in my shocks atm, though mine are emulsion style with Kraton caps, so slightly different setup. Def do a review. I'm curious to see what the scale says and your results. My Nero can take some decent air, but they are bound to bottem out with big air, just the nature of the beast.

I'm curious if you ever did a review of your setup and the results of your setup? I'd like to learn from your experience.

I'm curious if you ever did a review of your setup and the results of your setup? I'd like to learn from your experience.
They arrived, along with my Hot Racing aluminum hubs. I'm just waiting for a day to get to wrenching. Things got super busy for me as of late. It'll happen though!

New poster here, ordered a Nero last week. Should be here Friday. Been reading as much as I can about these and esp the 'weak points'. All vehicles have them.

Couple of observations here.

1. Has anyone tried shimming that spring cup away from the rod end/rocker and just threading the spring farther up the body - or just using a shorter spring after shimming?
2. Seems that the droop on this truck especially hard - heavy tires and the weight of outer suspension maybe. And that when it droops it's not only hitting the shock ends on the rockers but it's also pulling the 'pushrods' down to the suspension arms and the weight of all that could also be the reason for stripping those rod ends off.. Perhaps some form of bumpstop would be in order, may also prevent the rocker post from breaking.

In my experience parts that break are meant to break preventing further serious damage.
In this system, it's just an oversight and not intentional. There is a bump stop built into the A-Arms, but you can never reach it because of this bind.

Honestly, after orienting the spring perches in a way that allows them to flex, I haven't had any issues yet. Shimming the perches up would work, but I'm not sure how you'd do it reliably.

They arrived, along with my Hot Racing aluminum hubs. I'm just waiting for a day to get to wrenching. Things got super busy for me as of late. It'll happen though!
I did start to play with the rocker arms. They did help alleviate the binding, but not all of it.
20161226_125003.jpg

Overall I'm not super impressed with them. I feel like I'm going to be bending those screws.

I started to do some measuring of the force with the different holes, but overall they reduce suspension travel and progression of the suspension the more inward hole you use.

Shimming the perches up would work, but I'm not sure how you'd do it reliably.

When mine comes in I'll do some experimenting. See if theres a way to shim it. Maybe some small washers or spacers between the cups and rod ends.

Got my truck in, and found I had some washers in the garage that fit what I wanted. Put the washers inbetween the spring cup and rod end - moves the spring cup up the shaft 7.2mm. Which is enough that there is no more bind at that point, barely. You gain about 3/4" of droop at the wheels and now the lower arm hits the bottom skidplate as the stop instead of the rocker/spring cup bind point being the stop. Under compression you can still smack the skid plate barely.

Possible that this could solve the problem w/ stripped shock ends and rod ends ect. Will post pics and more details tomorrow.

My baby had its first breakage. The rocker arm shaft sheared off just above the nut. I'm sort of mad cause by the time I noticed the front was drooping the both bearings and the piece of shaft had gone missing. I run in a big place, tried looking but didn't find anything. I'm going to replace all four shafts with traxxas version. No point in loosing anymore bearing and or screws. A little mad, but I think I have all the parts needed for repair.
20170108_171605.jpg

I took out all the rocker arm posts 2 were bent pretty good, the last remaining also was a slightly bent.
Folks here say the traxxas revo post is a drop in. And they are close but not the same. Will have to drill out the plastic for the larger screw thread.
20170108_210741.jpg
Those are the Traxxas parts on the ends.
20170108_195057.jpg
Here you can see the Traxxas rocker post has thicker threads.

I was looking at replacement. Rocker posts,

They look different than what I removed from my car
arac8815.jpg
Areally these parts improved over what I removed from my NERO???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back