Discharging lipo battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1980

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
Hi, ive got two 3s 5000 mah 50c lipo batteries that have still got some charge in them as i broke a part on my kraton which stopped me using it. Ive got a skyrc d100v2 charger that i can discharge the lipo's but not sure what discharge current i need to set the charger at so i don't discharge the battery too much and damage it, any help will be much appreciated😃

Just put the charger in "Storage Mode". If its any decent charger it will have this setting. And it will either Charge or Discharge on its own( using its preset Discharge amp setting) as needed to bring the lipo to 3.8v per cell for storage purposes. If that setting asks for an amp setting, set it to 1C. (In your case 5.0 Amps)
Better read the manual on your charger some more. Or videos pertaining to your specific charger. You do not use Discharge Mode on chargers in general. Never. Unless you plan on discarding an old lipo for the trash. :cool:

So this is how I storage charge mine.

16154071678437454525277733754782.jpg

I should add it's a 5000mah lipo and depending on how much juice is left it can take awhile

^^^ Looks like my HM D6 Duo Pro.:)
Which one is that?

When i look into the storage settings its asks for a charge current and a discharge current to input, im assuming the charge current will be 5.0A but not sure on the discharge current it asks for a current between 0.1 to 2.0A

5.0 amp charge/2.0 amps discharge is fine. 👍 👍 👍 👍 You are set.
It will take a while to discharge if it needs to depending how much was run when in the rig . So be patient and don't walk away and leave unattended.

Probably the same as your not charging it. 5.0amp. Post a photo if ur still unsure as that will help us.
^^^ Looks like my HM D6 Duo Pro.:)
Which one is that?
Spektrum dual charger. Not bad but I'd get a better one next time.
Pick the highest for discharge. Keep in mind that your rig will draw 150A and Lipos are fine. 2A is fine.
I like your information as that's what I was thinking. My spektrum has storage settings up to 12.0A , I'll look into this as it would be faster.

Last edited:
5.0 amp charge/2.0 amps discharge is fine. 👍 👍 👍 👍 You are set.
It will take a while to discharge if it needs to depending how much was run when in the rig . So be patient and don't walk away and leave unattended.
This is the pic on the app for the charger, so going on what you suggest does this look about right

Screenshot_20210310_205106_com.skyrc.q200.jpg

Can't the charger program those smart batteries to automatically discharge after 24 hours or some such thing?

Is that actually reliable or is it a last line of defense?

I read somewhere it takes forever to discharge and elsewhere that a fully charged lipo can screw itself up or damage itself in 12 hours.

I am looking at a new charger and considered a spektrum just because of this added functionality of my batteries I am paying for and not taking advantage of (100c 3S 5000mAh)

@Pablo1980, That is perfect. 👍 👍 👍 👍 You are all set. Your lipo will thank you. Always put lipos in storage mode every time after you bash them.
They will last.

Last edited:
Thats great, thank you to all that has given advise. Im slowly learning the way around lipo's. 😃

Can't the charger program those smart batteries to automatically discharge after 24 hours or some such thing?

Is that actually reliable or is it a last line of defense?

I read somewhere it takes forever to discharge and elsewhere that a fully charged lipo can screw itself up or damage itself in 12 hours.

I am looking at a new charger and considered a spektrum just because of this added functionality of my batteries I am paying for and not taking advantage of (100c 3S 5000mAh)
If I am correct, Only the G2 Smart lipos can be programmed to alter the internal discharge feature, amp wise and schedule wise.. Using the Smart programmer. The G2 lipos addressed the original Smart lipo design issue of self discharge current and schedule.
Does anyone else agree?
I thought I saw a Demo of the G2 comparing to the first Gen Smart gear that described this.

The $$G2$$ is even Smarter now.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And In 3 months we will have $$$$G3 Smart$$$$ gear that's even way more smarter.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Get my drift. It costs $$ to be Smart???? 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ Spektrum is out of their minds.:LOL:
I think Dumb lipos and chargers are actually the Smarter way to go.:cool:

Last edited:
Hi, ive got two 3s 5000 mah 50c lipo batteries that have still got some charge in them as i broke a part on my kraton which stopped me using it. Ive got a skyrc d100v2 charger that i can discharge the lipo's but not sure what discharge current i need to set the charger at so i don't discharge the battery too much and damage it, any help will be much appreciated😃
Thats why you need a backup car so you can have fun discharging you lipo. Instead of getting bored waiting for the charger to finish. Those chargers are slow discharging. If it happens often. Maybe its a good idea to invest in a discharger.

^^^ Yes a discharger.
I have 2 of them. A must have. I have many rigs and over 17 lipos to care for. You need a discharger. Not smart gear. 🤷‍♂️
ISDT-FS200. Super fast.

^^^ Yes a discharger.
I have 2 of them. A must have. I have many rigs and over 17 lipos to care for. You need a discharger. Not smart gear. 🤷‍♂️
ISDT-FS200. Super fast.
A lot of new hobbyist does not know or educated themself about lipo's and chargers. Most hobby shops are just there to sell. I never waste money on cheap and those so called smart chargers. Those chargers are what ruins battery early overcharging or not balancing right. Could also cause fires not having the proper safety features. Invest well in a good lipo charger and can also do regenerative discharge. Your lipo's will thank you. You can also use it on any other hobbies.

^^^ Yes a discharger.
ISDT-FS200. Super fast.
Instructions unclear. Bought another truck.
I kind if agree with the sentiment that these 'smart' features are a terrible idea compared to a lipo checker and good protocol. Paying more for a black box solution as opposed to being vigilant and informed is a terrible idea.

I dunno why I keep buying spektrum batteries tbh. Probably just laziness on my part and availability at my hobby store.

^^^👍 Its all good. In the end as long as you have a charged lipo to bash with. 👍

I just find it strange that many so many have so many questions regarding the Smart eco stuff put out by Spektrum.
It seems it cant be too Smart of a way to charge if everyone gets confused with them.🤷‍♂️
I just don't get that. I understand it well enough to know it isn't that smart. And I don't even own that gear. Have looked into however. Even the ISDT BattGo tech equivelent by ISDT a few years ago. Which has trickled down as a Spektrum product. (licensed to Spektrum now)
ISDT does make great Chargers, Dischargers and Balance boards. FWIW. And work with Dumb lipos just nicely.

SMART does make sense for some people, it takes a lot of effort out of maintaining your stuff. As a beginner, that was always a learning curve that is now pretty much eliminated. They have their market value and make sense.
I wouldn't get them just due to the price but I wouldn't mind if all Lipos would eventually be 'SMART' but only at the right price.

The original spektrum batteries do have a chip inside that will let you set them to automatically go down to storage voltage by choice. I think it's kinda lame as it takes days and is definitely not how we are supposed to do it.
I personally will NEVER buy spektrum batteries or their charger for multiple reasons but one being they advertise certain batteries to fit in the typhon 6s that don't. They are 100% made to sell to the new guys of the hobby.👊

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back