DIY chassis pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I've seen some do it with carbon fiber and was curious how challenging it is. I would prefer trying with aluminum because it would be a bit cheaper even with 7075.

Just have a diy build I've been thinking of doing and a custom chassis will be necessary.

I'm pretty sure carbon fiber plate will be cheaper than 7075 aluminum plate. Either way if you have the basics of tool use, common sense, and skill with a measuring or even better, calipers it's really not that challenging. I just did a custom GT style chassis for the 1/8 Senton.
20230611_184426.jpg
20230611_184351.jpg

don't mind how she looks in the pics here. She was run over by a car on her maiden run........
20230403_011628.jpg
20230303_181631.jpg
20230224_213701.jpg

A friend of mine used to do rc drag racing and he built his own top fuel chassis out of carbon fibre, worked really well.

If you decide to go alloy, you would want aircraft alloy, lighter and stronger but I'm sure carbon fibre would be lighter depending on thickness.

A friend of mine used to do rc drag racing and he built his own top fuel chassis out of carbon fibre, worked really well.

If you decide to go alloy, you would want aircraft alloy, lighter and stronger but I'm sure carbon fibre would be lighter depending on thickness.
2024 and 7075 are the only two aerospace aluminum alloys. 2024 is weaker than 7075 but has far better fatigue resistance and thus mainly used on fuselage coverings.
But Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than both.

This is for a 2wd build, ive priced 7075 aluminum and its not bad, $48 for a 3 inch wide 1/4 inch thick piece cut to a custom length of 14 inches.
So far ive only found carbon fiber the same width thickness in 12 or 36 inch pieces, 36 inch piece is $91. Not bad considering an Exotek chassis similar to what i want but shorter and thinner is $144.
Which is easier to work with? Im familiar with aluminum, carbon fiber not so much.

Last edited:
This is for a 2wd build, ive priced 7075 aluminum and its not bad, $48 for a 3 inch wide 1/4 inch thick piece cut to a custom length of 14 inches.
So far ive only found carbon fiber the same width thickness in 12 or 36 inch pieces, 36 inch piece is $91. Not bad considering an Exotek chassis similar to what i want but shorter and thinner is $144.
Which is easier to work with? Im familiar with aluminum, carbon fiber not so much.
I'm used to working with aluminium also, carbon not so much so for me the choice would be the former.

I wonder what the weight difference would be, if not much then go aluminium.;)

Carbon Fiber isn't for everyone so I will say aluminum is easier to work with. There are alot of precautions REQUIRED and specialized blades and drill bits NEEDED. The good carbide blades and bits? You will be surprised how fast they wear out. Think a few cuts or several holes max. You will need the diamond coated stuff. Expensive, yes. But it WILL pay for itself with not having to replace near as often. I learned the hard way. And the dust made from cutting is very hazardous to your lungs. SERIOUSLY. Whatever lands on bare skin will itch the hell out of you. And know how we hate splinters from working with wood? CF has its own version that's 10x worse as it's razor sharp. Honestly, anyone thinking of working with CF should spend some time reading up safety precautions, invest in good masks, gloves, glasses, tools and a dust collection setup. If i wasnt used to working with hazardous materials or had the tools I did I would stayed away and bought pre-made stuff.

Last edited:
Well that clears it up, aluminum it is! :ROFLMAO:
I knew carbon fiber required different tools and more precaution, didn't realize that much though. I live in an apartment and don't have a dedicated workspace so aluminum would be much easier to deal with. Cf sure does look awesome though, wouldn't mind working with it once I do have a dedicated workspace. 😎

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back