DIY tire foams, anyone tried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I did..didn't use it though. I bought alot of stuff during this journey TBH, LOL. Pretty sure the package is sitting on my workbench, unopened.
I plan on buying another chunk of foam and another gallon of acetone..one of these days. I'll make some new larger templates and try again.
I tried the acetone vapor method, it didnt release after 24 hours. The guys at the LHS say that the BSI un-cure works. Ruined my tires trying the other methods - bake, boil, acetone vapor.
Are you cutting it into strips? If so, what are you doing to make it a donut? Tape? Glue?
I haven't revisted in a while. One of my Xmaxx tires blew apart after replacing the foams with the DIY. Not related to the foam, just cheap/thin rubber I'm pretty sure.
I have been meaning to buy anthor piece of the same foam I had used previously and just make the foams a bit larger..the other 3 have been holding up well. Just that the foams are soft due to being undersized I think.
I would prefer a denser material than what I have already used though, waterproof would be the bomb. I have a Snap On mechanics kneeling pad I bought just to make foams out of, LOL. I lost faith in the idea since it would require me to cut it into strips and make those into donuts. I use the pad for working on 1:1 cars now..😉
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/diy-x-maxx-8s-tire-foam-inserts-heavy-duty.67682/

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back