DIY X-Maxx 8S Tire Foam Inserts - Heavy Duty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volkz86

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Inspiration thread started by @KnowAir https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/diy-tire-foams-anyone-tried.65130/page-3#post-1032924
Ive had my X-Maxx for 3 months now and put it threw the ringer, and with every repair, my goal has been to find the most practical and heavy-duty solution.
After a couple of mudding runs I noticed that 3/4 tires had gone flat, even though they were vented, and ran the wheels at high speed to eject water.
This lead my down the path of the options to repair or replace. I tried to remove the tires by boiling them, the first tire fell apart as I started pulling on it. Then I tried baking it, I was able to get the tires off but ripped them in a couple spots. In hindsight, I should have used CA debonder. I ordered new 8S xmaxx tires that come with the foams, but I know the same thing will happen to them so I started researching different foam types for the best product. I landed on EPDM or neoprene being the best closed cell and resilient option.
This is the one I used: 1/2" x 17 x 80
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5XNMKGD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
This is the adhesive I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-3-fl-oz-Original-Contact-Cement-00107/100195615

You can see the length dimensions in the image, width is 3.5" except for the small strip is 1", the length measurement is generous so that it can be trimmed to exact size before gluing. The one with tape is a mockup, don't use tape it will pull the foam off with it.
The contact cement worked perfectly, I did a couple of small test pieces before committing to it, and made sure not to overlap seams.

They are more firm(still squishy) and 40grams heavier than the stock foams, but produce a very cushy landing and in theory should outlast the tires. Air control felt slightly less, but not sure just yet.
On my first outing, I really enjoyed them!

Feel free to shoot over any questions.

Cheers,

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5007.jpeg

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

IMG_5004.jpeg

IMG_5003.jpeg

IMG_5002.jpeg

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet!! Nice job! I hope they hold up. Did you tape or glue them together?
As for the acetone removal method, you need a sealed container large enough to hold at least one tire, throw that sucker right in the acetone! It won't hurt anything on the stock tires or wheels. I have one in right now, been in there for like a week..but I have left them in for 3 days, no problems. Foams were shot anyway so. I tried the vapor method, didn't do squat for me.
Just took this one out of the acetone after a week soaking. I botched the glue job and needed to take it back apart..foam swelled up quite a bit, but they shrink right back down as they dry.

20240103_213142.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!! Nice job! I hope they hold up. Did you tape or glue them together?
As for the acetone removal method, you need a sealed container large enough to hold at least one tire, throw that sucker right in the acetone! It won't hurt anything on the stock tires or wheels. I have one in right now, been in there for like a week..but I have left them in for 3 days, no problems. Foams were shot anyway so. I tried the vapor method, didn't do squat for me.
Just took this one out of the acetone after a week soaking. I botched the glue job and needed to take it back apart..foam swelled up quite a bit, but they shrink right back down as they dry.

View attachment 340736
Thanks! Good to know about the acetone method, pretty cheap to grab at Home Depot. I got a bottle of un-cure to try on one of my 1/10 rc’s, will see if it works.

I can’t see a world where these foams don’t last at least 2-3x regular foam. I had tried regular project foam but it is no where near firm enough to absorb impact.

I used contact cement linked above to put it together. After the strips were cut (15min), the whole foam assembly took about 45min, including letting the contact cement sit for about 5min before bonding the pieces. I think you mentioned trying to avoid glue, why so? It wasn’t hard or messy at all…

Interesting thread. Do you guys also use duct tape on the tire to prevent ballooning?

I think you mentioned trying to avoid glue, why so? It wasn’t hard or messy at all…
My concern with using glue is that it won't be flexible enough. I feel like when the tire balloons at 40-50mph, the glue will let go or the layers will separate and the foam will end up getting bunched up inside the tire.. same theory for taping the insides of the tires..once the tape changes shape from centrifugal force, it won't go back.. just theory of course. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I still feel that a one piece foam is more likely to remain cohesive. These tires change shape quite a bit during use, I myself do appreciate the benefits of "some" ballooning of the tires, also don't want foams that are too stiff. The foams are an integral part of the suspension I feel.

Screenshot_20240104-075415_Samsung Internet.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back