DIY tire foams, anyone tried?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad I found this thread, going through this process myself at the moment. I used the project foam from Joann but I just thought of another Idea. First I thought neoprene foam, but it’s expensive and hard to get in the size we need. Then I thought of yoga mat and started cutting up one we have lol and I think it’s gonna work out pretty well. I think it’s pvc foam. I did soak it in water and it does retain water, but so does most foam. What are your thoughts?
So glad I found this thread, going through this process myself at the moment. I used the project foam from Joann but I just thought of another Idea. First I thought neoprene foam, but it’s expensive and hard to get in the size we need.

Then I thought of yoga mat and started cutting up one we have lol and I think it’s gonna work out pretty well. I think it’s pvc foam. I did soak it in water and it does retain water, but so does most foam. What are your thoughts?

EDIT - neoprene or EPDM foam is the way to go, it’s waterproof, closed cell and very resilient.

Last edited:
So I ended up using 1/2” epdm and loving it! Lands super cush, really absorbs any jolts Each wheels now weighs 620grams. Happy to provide explaination if anyone is interested.

IMG_5005.jpeg

So I ended up using 1/2” epdm and loving it! Lands super cush, really absorbs any jolts Each wheels now weighs 620grams. Happy to provide explaination if anyone is interested.

View attachment 340601

Create a thread showcasing how you produced yours and link it back to here for others to follow along..

Folks would be interested to see your method also. 👊🍺

View attachment 340601
Are you cutting it into strips? If so, what are you doing to make it a donut? Tape? Glue?
I haven't revisted in a while. One of my Xmaxx tires blew apart after replacing the foams with the DIY. Not related to the foam, just cheap/thin rubber I'm pretty sure.
I have been meaning to buy anthor piece of the same foam I had used previously and just make the foams a bit larger..the other 3 have been holding up well. Just that the foams are soft due to being undersized I think.
I would prefer a denser material than what I have already used though, waterproof would be the bomb. I have a Snap On mechanics kneeling pad I bought just to make foams out of, LOL. I lost faith in the idea since it would require me to cut it into strips and make those into donuts. I use the pad for working on 1:1 cars now..😉

Last edited:
Are you cutting it into strips? If so, what are you doing to make it a donut? Tape? Glue?
I haven't revisted in a while. One of my Xmaxx tires blew apart after replacing the foams with the DIY. Not related to the foam, just cheap/thin rubber I'm pretty sure.
I have been meaning to buy anthor piece of the same foam I had used previously and just make the foams a bit larger..the other 3 have been holding up well. Just that the foams are soft due to being undersized I think.
I would prefer a denser material than what I have already used though, waterproof would be the bomb. I have a Snap On mechanics kneeling pad I bought just to make foams out of, LOL. I lost faith in the idea since it would require me to cut it into strips and make those into donuts. I use the pad for working on 1:1 cars now..😉

I really think you should try to cut whatever foam you plan on using into the actual (diameter) donut shapes to begin with..
If you must, you could (glue) stacks of donuts together to achieve the width you need..

That's the best way to avoid the unbalanced-seams in your original foam strips design/idea.

I really think you should try to cut whatever foam you plan on using into the actual (diameter) donut shapes to begin with..
If you must, you could (glue) stacks of donuts together to achieve the width you need..

That's the best way to avoid the unbalanced-seams in your original foam strips design/idea.
Yes, I'm convinced carving the donuts in one piece from a block is probably the most practical way to DIY foams. I am still curious about 3d printed though..is Ninjaflex still one if the most flexible "rubber like" filaments available? Been a while since I've looked at filaments. I've used some TPU before to print tires, but it's not nearly soft enough to use feasibly IMO.

Yes, I'm convinced carving the donuts in one piece from a block is probably the most practical way to DIY foams. I am still curious about 3d printed though..is Ninjaflex still one if the most flexible "rubber like" filaments available? Been a while since I've looked at filaments. I've used some TPU before to print tires, but it's not nearly soft enough to use feasibly IMO.

I have not used Ninjaflex to answer that directly..
But I've heard it is one of the softest TPU.

I'd imagine if you print a ONE layer thick Ninjaflex tire insert it can work fairly nicely.

I have not used Ninjaflex to answer that directly..
But I've heard it is one of the softest TPU.

I'd imagine if you print a ONE layer thick Ninjaflex tire insert it can work fairly nicely.
I see it's fairly common in the crawler community.. if I weren't so tech challenged I might be inclined to try it. But, I am..so unless I find an STL I can manipulate to the size needed, I'm out. Lol.

I see it's fairly common in the crawler community.. if I weren't so tech challenged I might be inclined to try it. But, I am..so unless I find an STL I can manipulate to the size needed, I'm out. Lol.

What inserts have you seen?

Those files are Easily Adjustable in Cura to the Exact size you need.

>>>
1. Import design into Cura
2. Highlight the item ,goto Scale
3. First, set the diameter ( X&Y ) to the size you want.. then
4. UNcheck Uniform Scaling, to set the height (width of insert) to get your desired width you need.
5. Multiply said item by 3X ,then Print.

Done 🍺👍

Last edited:
Hey man did you end up buying that Goop II glue? I’ve been trying to follow your foam journey from the begining but I haven’t read everything…?
I think I did..didn't use it though. I bought alot of stuff during this journey TBH, LOL. Pretty sure the package is sitting on my workbench, unopened.
I plan on buying another chunk of foam and another gallon of acetone..one of these days. I'll make some new larger templates and try again.

So glad I found this thread, going through this process myself at the moment. I used the project foam from Joann but I just thought of another Idea. First I thought neoprene foam, but it’s expensive and hard to get in the size we need. Then I thought of yoga mat and started cutting up one we have lol and I think it’s gonna work out pretty well. I think it’s pvc foam. I did soak it in water and it does retain water, but so does most foam. What are your thoughts?
So glad I found this thread, going through this process myself at the moment. I used the project foam from Joann but I just thought of another Idea. First I thought neoprene foam, but it’s expensive and hard to get in the size we need.

Then I thought of yoga mat and started cutting up one we have lol and I think it’s gonna work out pretty well. I think it’s pvc foam. I did soak it in water and it does retain water, but so does most foam. What are your thoughts?

EDIT - neoprene or EPDM foam is the way to go, it’s waterproof, closed cell and very resilient.
The type of foam is one important factor. (y)
I found from exper. with most any pre-mount Foamies, that it's the Glue used that can also make or break a nice set of them. Some glues can react better or worse depending on the Type of foam. Most CA's are NG for foams as well. Many CA based Glues will actually melt the foam. There are some CA's that specify "Foam friendly" FWIW. But to use just any type of CA, could end up as a fail. There are non-CA types of Foam glues as well. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
The type of foam is one important factor. (y)
I found from exper. with most any pre-mount Foamies, that it's the Glue used that can also make or break a nice set of them.
I'm trying to avoid having to glue the foams at all. If I start with a 24x24x4" thick pad, I can get at least 6 or 7 foams from one piece. At 8" diameter, 9, but they definitely need to be bigger than the OD of the tires I've learned. Should have known, but cheapness got the best of me, LOL.
I've been flogging the ones I did pretty hard..considering how flimsy the stock Xmaxx tires are, I'm impressed. The foams I made are just loose inside the tires. Even the one that blew out on me, the foam is still intact. I did stop running as soon as I heard the tire breaking wind though..

Last edited:
The inner foams. I see now.
Closed Cell foam rules, if you can source it. The best RC race wheels will always run Closed cell inner foams. They are a bit more rigid and don't shred apart. And are Water resistant. Won't rot away on you.

What inserts have you seen?

Those files are Easily Adjustable in Cura to the Exact size you need.

>>>
1. Import design into Cura
2. Highlight the item ,goto Scale
3. First, set the diameter ( X&Y ) to the size you want.. then
4. UNcheck Uniform Scaling, to set the height (width of insert) to get your desired width you need.
5. Multiply said item by 3X ,then Print.

Done 🍺👍
🤯💨 .lost me on #1 🤣🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back