Anyone Know of a Good Way to Revive Tire Foams?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCbuzz

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Senton 3s
I have a couple vented tires with foams that appear to be pretty evenly "flat" all the way around.

Anyone know of a good way to plump them back up?

Oddly, I have a spare foam from a Tire that blew up but with my luck I would destroy the tires in question trying to unglued them..

Thanks!

Last edited:
Lots of upholsterers use steamers to revive old compressed seat foams.
Don't see why that wouldn't work on foam inserts.
they will be worn down falling to bits crumbling to little bits opened loads of tyres over the years you will need new wheels and tyres I have never been able to find new inserts for the 6s line anyway. you wouldn't be able to get the tyres of the rim without them ripping unless you have the patience of a saint

Hehe, yes trying to remove a glued tire is o_O. Tires are still totally useable, they are Dboot Fortress MT's.

I might see if I can steam them through the vents.

Hehe, yes trying to remove a glued tire is o_O. Tires are still totally useable, they are Dboot Fortress MT's.

I might see if I can steam them through the vents.

I have some Xmaxx tires that have gone flat, 2 full sets..along with a piar of 8s BF's too..
Problem I see, what's to stop the same thing from happening again? Closed cell foam is what is needed I think. Unfortunately Arrma and TRX use open cell foams, much cheaper, but don't hold up very well in my experience.

I have a couple vented tires with foams that appear to be pretty evenly "flat" all the way around.

Anyone know of a good way to plump them back up?

Oddly, I have a spare foam from a Tire that blew up but with my luck I would destroy the tires in question trying to unglued them..

Thanks!
Open Cell Foams are consumable items unfortunately. Cheap type foam.
They should last the life of most tires in a perfect world.
>>>Get them wet however, in the mud, snow/water or whether from washing them often, and they get all moldy, shrink and shred apart, causing uneven tire balance/rotation, then the tires can rip apart. Keep the foams from getting wet at all costs.(y) Also best to vent them at the tire in 2 places and seal off the inner wheel vents with tape. Water and dirt exits the tire if any, this way.
I wish they used "Closed Cell" foams, like the higher end Track based tires have. They don't absorb moisture or water and stay true to shape.

they will be worn down falling to bits crumbling to little bits opened loads of tyres over the years you will need new wheels and tyres I have never been able to find new inserts for the 6s line anyway. you wouldn't be able to get the tyres of the rim without them ripping unless you have the patience of a saint

I removed and cleaned my glued tires. Just need to find new foam.

These tyres were heavy and way out of balance, full of dirt from the air holes on the inside of the wheel.

If I tape over the holes on the wheels and poke holes in tyres will this keep dirt and water out?

Interestingly out of 4 Tyres only 2 seemed to have foam. The other two were full of dirt and zero foam.

20230731_144259.jpg

20230731_144315.jpg

20230731_144839.jpg

20230731_145129.jpg

20230731_154102.jpg

you will get foams for buggy wheels easy there a lot better quality than the arrma foams. blocking the holes in the wheels helps a bit but I fined the arrma foams still don't last as long as they should for the price of them

I removed and cleaned my glued tires. Just need to find new foam.

These tyres were heavy and way out of balance, full of dirt from the air holes on the inside of the wheel.

If I tape over the holes on the wheels and poke holes in tyres will this keep dirt and water out?

Interestingly out of 4 Tyres only 2 seemed to have foam. The other two were full of dirt and zero foam.

View attachment 317161

View attachment 317162

View attachment 317163

View attachment 317164

View attachment 317165
How did you get those off so cleanly? I see they are Dynamite speedtreads, I just picked a set from ebay about a month ago. One of them needed to be reglued already, maybe that's why you were able to get them off, not glued very well? IDK.
I'm convinced that taping off the holes in the wheels, then venting the actual tire at the treads is the best practice. I use a cheap soldering iron with pencil tip to melt holes into them.
I have a set of Jconcepts chopper sct tires on my Tekno sct. I did not tape the wheels since I had no plans of running in the wet. Then last Thanksgiving it was really warm here. My brother and I did some bashing, it was really muddy, poor Tekno was right full of mud. I never gave the wheels/tires much thought..till about the end of June when I noticed the choppers were shaking pretty badly on the truck. I vented them with the soldering iron, took it out for a rip. Wow! Clouds of debris were coming out of them! Got rid of the shakes too. From here on out, this will be my routine. Seal the wheel, vent the tire. Arrma does this, but only on some tires, not others? Weird.
BTW, you won't have any trouble finding foams for 1/8 buggy tires. I recommend closed cell, they'll likely outlive the tires. You could actually cut the tires open and reuse them after the tread is worn out.

How did you get those off so cleanly? I see they are Dynamite speedtreads, I just picked a set from ebay about a month ago. One of them needed to be reglued already, maybe that's why you were able to get them off, not glued very well? IDK.
I'm convinced that taping off the holes in the wheels, then venting the actual tire at the treads is the best practice. I use a cheap soldering iron with pencil tip to melt holes into them.
I have a set of Jconcepts chopper sct tires on my Tekno sct. I did not tape the wheels since I had no plans of running in the wet. Then last Thanksgiving it was really warm here. My brother and I did some bashing, it was really muddy, poor Tekno was right full of mud. I never gave the wheels/tires much thought..till about the end of June when I noticed the choppers were shaking pretty badly on the truck. I vented them with the soldering iron, took it out for a rip. Wow! Clouds of debris were coming out of them! Got rid of the shakes too. From here on out, this will be my routine. Seal the wheel, vent the tire. Arrma does this, but only on some tires, not others? Weird.
BTW, you won't have any trouble finding foams for 1/8 buggy tires. I recommend closed cell, they'll likely outlive the tires. You could actually cut the tires open and reuse them after the tread is worn out.

These are the Speedtreads 'Trigger' tyre. I own a set of their 'Robber' tyres also. I only bought them because it was all the hobby shop had at the time for buggy wheels. Overall, I like the brand even having improperly reglued them multiple times with cheap dollar store glue.

Since removing these I've picked up BSI iC2000 CA for the next time around 😐

For removal, a bit of perseverance and razor blade did the trick. Pulled what I could by hand, cut the rest. Heating in the oven did nothing but make my wife complain about the moldy rubber smell.

Great tip on the solder iron method. (y) Will try that on these when I find some foam.

These are the Speedtreads 'Trigger' tyre. I own a set of their 'Robber' tyres also. I only bought them because it was all the hobby shop had at the time for buggy wheels. Overall, I like the brand even having improperly reglued them multiple times with cheap dollar store glue.

Since removing these I've picked up BSI iC2000 CA for the next time around 😐

For removal, a bit of perseverance and razor blade did the trick. Pulled what I could by hand, cut the rest. Heating in the oven did nothing but make my wife complain about the moldy rubber smell.

Great tip on the solder iron method. (y) Will try that on these when I find some foam.
Oh ur brave! I wouldn't even try the oven trick, wife would never give my balls back!!🤣🤣
I have 2 sets of the Dynamite tires/wheels, the Dirtsmith buggy and some sct. The buggy tires/wheels are really nice, the sct, meh. Have a stripped hex on one, the wheels are kinda crappy.
Once you glue with the ic2000, I suspect you won't be peeling them off without destroying them. I've used the ic2000, good stuff. I also use dollar store glue, basically whatevers available. Those tires still have plenty of tread left, I would try salvaging them for sure, as long as the bead is still good, why not? Good luck with them.👍🍻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back