Limitless Do I need ESC upgrade?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niz55

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Spektrum pkg 1250kv/160 amp esc. Gearing is 34 pinion and 29 spur. Did the calculation on some rc website and it showed 143mph. Would this esc handle it or do I need to upgrade to a castle?

Gearing is 34 pinion and 29 spur.

34 pinion and 29 spur? Or do you mean it the other way around (29 pinion/34 spur)? If you really are running a 34T pinion on a 29T spur then I'm not surprised you hit thermal so quickly.

Yes 34 spur and 29 pinion. So the castle esc maaxx8 should take care of this issue and handle the gearing?

It should be better based on the Castle system and it's overall better thermal performance management but I couldn't say if it would be completely safe and eliminate your thermal issue. If nobody else chimes in here then you might try the speedrunners forum for a better answer.

Spektrum pkg 1250kv/160 amp esc. Gearing is 34 pinion and 29 spur. Did the calculation on some rc website and it showed 143mph. Would this esc handle it or do I need to upgrade to a castle?

How warm is your esc getting?
What is the battery rating?
what do you have lvc set too?
How long do you expect/want it to last bashing?
I take it your using 8s as 143mph and have mis input the ratio into a calc to a 34 pinion 29 spool

But for a that motor for bashing keep the 29 pinion and try a 39 spool on 6s should give you around 60mph geared for 70mph and on 8s if you want speed you'll be around the 80mph mark geared for around 95mph
I personally would grab a 39 tooth spool and on 6s should be close to an infraction with the speed gearing that it comes with.

Cheapest option imo atm

Last edited:
The esc was 155F but that is on the heat sink where I am getting the temp. What's inside who knows? Pretty sure was the weather it was just too hot.

Battery is 9k zeee with 100c running 8S. I don't want to bash at all with this car only speed runs .

Also, just came back from a run and couldn't even go more than 20mph. Even at 5% throttle the car spins out.

What I changed recently,

Diff fluid from 10k stock to 200k front and back.
Pinion 34 and spur 29. (Old setup 30t pinion and 34 spur).

So why is this car spinning out all of the sudden when I even barley touch the throttle? Is it my diff oil or the gears that is making me spin out? Even when I apply the brakes at 20mph the car spins out.

I don’t think it’s the diff fluid... I’m running the same electronics in my (speed run) infraction, slightly different gearing, 500k F/R, grp S7 slicks and the brakes at 100%
No problems with spinning out unless I mash on the throttle...

You have a center diff correct?
I don't mash on it at all. Punch is set to 1 and still spins out . I think the gearing and power of the motor on 8s is too much torque at any speeds.

Try running on 4s with that gearing to check car before going full on 8s

Maybe is my 29 spool. Who knows ?
That shouldn’t matter, it’s got to be something else. Are all your bearings free? Trims are adjusted properly?
Punch is set to 1 and still spins out . I think the gearing and power of the motor on 8s is too much torque at any speeds.
I’m running 8s, with punch level 3 and a recent pb of 117mph

Last edited:
Well found the problem. Rear drive cup was loose. Forgot to use loctite on the grub screw. The car was rear wheel drive all this time. Lol

Fixed everything and found a nice place at around 1am in the morning to run the car. Was doing some warm ups and I totally forgot the damn street has reflectors so I jumped one of them at around 40mph. Drove it back to me right after and no control of throttle or brake just steering. As soon as I stopped smoke started coming from the car. Popped the cover off and the ESC was gone..

Pretty sure the impact caused it some how but poop happens.

Might pull the max5 from the k8 and put it in the limitless but I don't know how am going to make it fit or just installed another new spektrum 160 amp on it and try again.

Well found the problem. Rear drive cup was loose. Forgot to use loctite on the grub screw. The car was rear wheel drive all this time. Lol
Thought it might be something like that, glad you figured it out. ?

There is a graph from my Castle Mamba Monster X 8S with a Castle 1717 Sensored 1650KV motor. 103 / 104 mph. Esc got up to 156 degrees very quickly there there was no issue running the load. For tooling around / bashing / whatever you want to call it, you would be better served with a different gear ratio. Now if you're just speed running go balls out. I wouldn't beat around with this gearing. I was running a 34 Pinion and a 29 Spur.

The Mamba Monster X 8S is a beast. I own two of them. My only complaints are the esc fans, but that's an easy remedy.

1599357803075.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back