Typhon Does additional motor weight make much of a handling difference for street bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Thinking about grabbing a 4282 for my Typhon street basher. Pretty happy with the stock motor performance except its a little bit more of a challenge keeping temps down during summer. Just weighed a Spektrum 4074 and got 396g, the 4282 motor lists 440g so about 44g extra weight.
The other thing, will the 4282 motor make the stock Spektrum esc run much hotter?

Thinking about grabbing a 4282 for my Typhon street basher. Pretty happy with the stock motor performance except its a little bit more of a challenge keeping temps down during summer. Just weighed a Spektrum 4074 and got 396g, the 4282 motor lists 440g so about 44g extra weight.
The other thing, will the 4282 motor make the stock Spektrum esc run much hotter?
upgraded aluminum fans will help, along with the heatsink. Not much weight difference to make a difference. The batteries is where the weight is.

What KV is the 4282 you’ll be running? What gearing are you thinking of? And what voltage will you be running?

I just don't like those giant cans hanging off the motor mount.. That being said 44grams doesn't seem to bad.

Same kV? Stock timing cranked down on the F150?

What KV is the 4282 you’ll be running? What gearing are you thinking of? And what voltage will you be running?
Running it on 4s, haven't decided between 2150 and 1780kv, I'm thinking it would be better to go 2150kv for 4s.

I just don't like those giant cans hanging off the motor mount.. That being said 44grams doesn't seem to bad.

Same kV? Stock timing cranked down on the F150?

I know I turned the timing down some but would have to check to see how much.

I guess I was asking because initially was thinking spare for the XL Talion, but immediately started thinking ....hmmm, since I'm already getting a 4082, might as well try it out in the Typhon!

Was thinking the extra torque from the longer 4082 can might be fun, my favorite bash spot has several wide aisles around 40-50 yards long so I do a lot of quick drifts between the landscaping obstacles and back to full throttle down a straight stretch. Its a beast stock on 4s with 24/46 gearing on grps. Curiosity has me wanting to see the difference but don't want to overload the stock esc. Max amps for the 2150kv motor is 150A so its one of those barely fits specs so thinking a slight gearing drop to maybe 22t would be best for a first run.

Or maybe just get a better fan setup for the stock electronics and don't start messing with all that to start with? 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

Running it on 4s, haven't decided between 2150 and 1780kv, I'm thinking it would be better to go 2150kv for 4s.

Hey Boss...

All our rigs are different, but I think you could get the stock 4074 temperature under control with a fan. I have a TLR on 4S only, and I built it with the stock motor but went with a Max8....maybe it does make the difference, but the temp display shows low under 160F.

I built this one to piss my 50+yr senior like me best friend off, who has the Typhon 6S v5 he runs on 6S. I'm lighter, but my gearing is different, and I run neck/neck with him on the farm track.

Note - I did put the old BLX 4074 in I like ribbed motor and I feel those are so much better than the newer Firma. Maybe that helps with cooling my motor with the 40mm fan.

This may not help just sharing my settings:
Operation
- ESC: HW Max8
- Motor: Arrma BLX4074 2050Kv
- Pinion: 21T
- Receiver: 6100AT
- Servo: ProModeler DS630BLHV
- Diffs: 20/20/10k
- Shocks: 1000cst (80wt)

ESC
- LVC: HW Low
- BEC: 7.4v
- Punch: 3
- Brakes: 75%
- MotorTi: NA

1708575589091.png

1708575610573.png

Active temp while running...runs nice and cool
1708575673235.png

Hey Boss...

All our rigs are different, but I think you could get the stock 4074 temperature under control with a fan. I have a TLR on 4S only, and I built it with the stock motor but went with a Max8....maybe it does make the difference, but the temp display shows low under 160F.

I built this one to piss my 50+yr senior like me best friend off, who has the Typhon 6S v5 he runs on 6S. I'm lighter, but my gearing is different, and I run neck/neck with him on the farm track.

Note - I did put the old BLX 4074 in I like ribbed motor and I feel those are so much better than the newer Firma. Maybe that helps with cooling my motor with the 40mm fan.

This may not help just sharing my settings:
Operation
- ESC: HW Max8
- Motor: Arrma BLX4074 2050Kv
- Pinion: 21T
- Receiver: 6100AT
- Servo: ProModeler DS630BLHV
- Diffs: 20/20/10k
- Shocks: 1000cst (80wt)

ESC
- LVC: HW Low
- BEC: 7.4v
- Punch: 3
- Brakes: 75%
- MotorTi: NA

View attachment 350205
View attachment 350206

Active temp while running...runs nice and cool
View attachment 350207
The cable management :oops: (y) Looks very nice!

Back