Kraton Does anyone know anything about this charger? Passport P2 100W AC/DC 2-Port Multicharger with Bluetooth Connectivity (DYNC3016)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JASPERADO1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I bought this charger, along with a HobbyStar 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery, for my Kraton 6s. Could you help me charge the battery, to its full capacity? When I charged it yesterday, Sun., 2-23, I don't think I charged it fully. Ran the car for quite awhile, and it never faltered. The instruction manual is like reading Greek, or worse, Chinese!! So, I just ''winged it!'' When the battery was plugged to the charger, on one of the screens, I think it said something about a cutoff at 5000mAh. Why would it say that, if I have an 8000mAh battery connected to it? I had it connected for about 95 minutes. Another screen says, again, I think, cutoff was for 120 minutes. Does it take that long to charge a battery? Anyway, I'm very new to the world of electric cars, so, I need all the help I can get!! Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, what the hell is up with Lipo Charging bags? Is that a gimmick? Anyway thank you again. Sincerely, Jay

they are all relatively the same across the board on chargers like that... they seem to all have the same firmware...

you want your mah cutoff to be 8000mah as that is the biggest you have...

the time cutoff you can set to 400 mins so you know it wont shut down before the battery is charged...

you can change these variables in the user set program header...

charge the battery in balance mode at 8.0 amps... in theory at 1c charge rate it will be done at just over an hour.. if your charger cannot output 8 amps then set as high as possible, the charge time will take longer at lower amps...

they are all relatively the same across the board on chargers like that... they seem to all have the same firmware...

you want your mah cutoff to be 8000mah as that is the biggest you have...

the time cutoff you can set to 400 mins so you know it wont shut down before the battery is charged...

you can change these variables in the user set program header...

charge the battery in balance mode at 8.0 amps... in theory at 1c charge rate it will be done at just over an hour.. if your charger cannot output 8 amps then set as high as possible, the charge time will take longer at lower amps...
He won't be able to charge at 8 amps with that charger it is way under powered for that battery.

Charger Wattage Requirement for a 8000mah 6s lipo.
202 Watts (W) required as an output from your charger.
238 Watts (W) required from your power supply.
8 Amps (A) charge rate required of the charger per pack.
It would take approximately 65 Minutes to charge 1 pack(s) from less than 20% capacity.

With the current charger.
Charger Rate Per Pack(C) 0.42c
Charge Current Per Pack (A) 3.36 Amps (A)
It will take approximately 155 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

Short story long @JASPERADO1 needs a better charger.

If you are unsure how your charger works there are how to videos on YouTube and as @Camaroboy383 said most every charger uses the same software.

Lipo charging bags help a little bit in case of a fire, they might give you a couple extra seconds to toss your lipo out of the door, but I would not store my batteries in them. Most of those lipos bags will only contain a fire from a 2000mah 2s lipo.

Last edited:
He won't be able to charge at 8 amps with that charger it is way under powered for that battery.

Charger Wattage Requirement for a 8000mah 6s lipo.
202 Watts (W) required as an output from your charger.
238 Watts (W) required from your power supply.
8 Amps (A) charge rate required of the charger per pack.
It would take approximately 65 Minutes to charge 1 pack(s) from less than 20% capacity.

With the current charger.
Charger Rate Per Pack(C) 0.42c
Charge Current Per Pack (A) 3.36 Amps (A)
It will take approximately 155 minutes to charge your pack(s) depending on a few different factors. The max charge rate calculated above will occur near the end of the charging cycle when the battery pack ramps up to maximum voltage. While the voltage is ramping up to maximum voltage, the charging rate will be slightly higher as max voltage has not yet been achieved.

Short story long @JASPERADO1 needs a better charger.

If you are unsure how your charger works there are how to videos on YouTube and as @Camaroboy383 said most every charger uses the same software.

Lipo charging bags help a little bit in case of a fire, they might give you a couple extra seconds to toss your lipo out of the door, but I would not store my batteries in them. Most of those lipos bags will only contain a fire from a 2000mah 2s lipo.

he really doesn't have to charge at 8 amps.. it will just take longer as i stated above.. the charger he has will work, just have to wait...

Learn to set up your settings. Check YouTube and probably any charger video will work if the display looks similar. You are right assuming that you didn't fully charge as it stopped after adding 5000mAh.
You should set Max to 8000 and charge current to 8A for a 1C rate. As previously stated, your charger is not capable to do this on AC but ok to use this setting. It will top out at 100W/voltage or around 4.5A give or take a few. 2h charge time is normal at that rate. Timeout of 3h seems right.
If you ever connect this to a DC supply you will almost reach the desired 8A (200W/voltage) and don't have to remember changing the current rate.
Voltage changes from 22V to 25.2 (charged) therefore the math is not exact.

he really doesn't have to charge at 8 amps.. it will just take longer as i stated above.. the charger he has will work, just have to wait...
I know, but ideally he should get a better charger if he doesn't want to wait over 2 hours for his battery to charge. He seemed like someone who thought 2 hours was a long time from his post.

I bought this charger, along with a HobbyStar 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery, for my Kraton 6s. Could you help me charge the battery, to its full capacity? When I charged it yesterday, Sun., 2-23, I don't think I charged it fully. Ran the car for quite awhile, and it never faltered. The instruction manual is like reading Greek, or worse, Chinese!! So, I just ''winged it!'' When the battery was plugged to the charger, on one of the screens, I think it said something about a cutoff at 5000mAh. Why would it say that, if I have an 8000mAh battery connected to it? I had it connected for about 95 minutes. Another screen says, again, I think, cutoff was for 120 minutes. Does it take that long to charge a battery? Anyway, I'm very new to the world of electric cars, so, I need all the help I can get!! Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, what the hell is up with Lipo Charging bags? Is that a gimmick? Anyway thank you again. Sincerely, Jay

If you haven't had the charger long and can return it, you can get plenty more power and options for a couple bucks more cost.
I'd buy this one while it's in stock:
https://pyrodrone.com/products/hota-d6-pro-charger-ac200w-dc650w-15a

Or this one is also very good:
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=541

Plenty guys here on the forum use these chargers and they're great for future proof. You can add a 24v dc power supply later and get the most out of it.
I've ordered from both of these sellers and they both ship super fast from the US and offer great support if something (very doubtful) happens with the order.

Thank you all for those very wise words of wisdom!! I most likely can't return the charger, now that I've used it. I'll try to figure out how to change the setting from 5000mAh, to 8000mAh. I've bookmarked this page, so I can refer back to it when I charge the battery with this charger. Camaroboy383, I apologize if I sounded like I didn't want to wait that long for the battery to charge. Again, it's based on the fact that this is my very 1st venture into the world of electric cars. I know nothing about them, and, it seemed like an awfully long time to charge a battery!! But I do definitely appreciate the input. Pyro Drone sells that charger for $119, and SMC sells it for $135. $15 difference. From the looks of it, they are both the same item. Will it charge the 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery with ease? Thanks again to everyone.

Thank you all for those very wise words of wisdom!! I most likely can't return the charger, now that I've used it. I'll try to figure out how to change the setting from 5000mAh, to 8000mAh. I've bookmarked this page, so I can refer back to it when I charge the battery with this charger. Camaroboy383, I apologize if I sounded like I didn't want to wait that long for the battery to charge. Again, it's based on the fact that this is my very 1st venture into the world of electric cars. I know nothing about them, and, it seemed like an awfully long time to charge a battery!! But I do definitely appreciate the input. Pyro Drone sells that charger for $119, and SMC sells it for $135. $15 difference. From the looks of it, they are both the same item. Will it charge the 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery with ease? Thanks again to everyone.

The difference in the two off the bat are that the SMC one comes with balance boards and charge leads (customize at ordering.) Might be worth $15 unless you have some or wish to make some. Buttons and interface are slightly different between the two. I have the Pyro one in grey color and paid only $99 special when he first got em in mid 2018. Wish I had the blue color too. lol
It'll charge that battery easily and pretty dog on quick if you use one side at a time. To get so much faster, a 24v power supply could come in handy but I've never needed one. I use 5000-6000 mah packs and can't finish one at home before the other is charged and ready to go.
I love the software and it allows for firmware updates but haven't needed that either since 2018. Seems similar to isdt software and similar footprint to the isdt D2 just looking at them.
Finally important, the SMC black Hota has more power on AC and DC. Worth another $15-20 imo.

Last edited:
The difference in the two off the bat are that the SMC one comes with balance boards and charge leads (customize at ordering.) Might be worth $15 unless you have some or wish to make some. Buttons and interface are slightly different between the two. I have the Pyro one in grey color and paid only $99 special when he first got em in mid 2018. Wish I had the blue color too. lol
It'll charge that battery easily and pretty dog on quick if you use one side at a time. To get so much faster, a 24v power supply could come in handy but I've never needed one. I use 5000-6000 mah packs and can't finish one at home before the other is charged and ready to go.
I love the software and it allows for firmware updates but haven't needed that either since 2018. Seems similar to isdt software and similar footprint to the isdt D2 just looking at them.
Finally important, the SMC black Hota has more power on AC and DC. Worth another $15-20 imo.
Thank you my friend, I guess the SMC, on your recommendation, is the one I'm getting! At time of purchase you said I could choose the "leads" I wanted? The Hobby Star battery has an EC 5 connector on it. Will I be able to choose a lead that has that end on it? I'm sure you know this, the battery also has a "balance connector" coming out of it. It's there a way to connect that to the charger? Thanks

Last edited:
Yes you can choose the leads on SMC from what they offer or buy without at a lower price.
I purchased the Hota D6 Plus AC/DC and it's nice BUT it does not come with an 'App' and the manual is a bit tricky but basic skills get you where you need to be. App is actually in chinese for Apple, doesn't even show under Android unless it's hidden due to language. Probably the best app ever if you are native chinese :)
You can download the manual from the manufacturer but you must rename it and add .pdf or it won't be recognized. Same with firmware update, rename with .zip extension. Manual is not really needed, very intuitive.
Does it have enough power? You need 24V x 8 A = 192W per channel to get to a 1C rate. Hota D6 gets you to 150W but you can do this on 2 channels at once while the other supports 200W max i.e. you max out 1 channel and get nothing on the 2nd channel.
These are the highest AC power ones you will find, I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I would purchase this one, from SMC:
Hota D6 Plus AC/DC with balance boards and charging adapters
It's $135. Since I only have one, 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery, and I'm not getting anymore, this will be fine. Do all chargers have the same kinds of ''input'' ports on them? Because when I bought my Dynamite Passport charger, I bought an extra lead, that has an EC5 connector on it. What I'm asking is, will those ''input'' leads, the ones that go into the charger, go into the SMC charger? Because I don't want to spend another $135, and also have to buy another lead, for their particular machine. Thanks for the reply

I would purchase this one, from SMC:
Hota D6 Plus AC/DC with balance boards and charging adapters
It's $135. Since I only have one, 6s, 8000mAh, 100c battery, and I'm not getting anymore, this will be fine. Do all chargers have the same kinds of ''input'' ports on them? Because when I bought my Dynamite Passport charger, I bought an extra lead, that has an EC5 connector on it. What I'm asking is, will those ''input'' leads, the ones that go into the charger, go into the SMC charger? Because I don't want to spend another $135, and also have to buy another lead, for their particular machine. Thanks for the reply
The leads you have from your original charger are using bullet plugs. The SMC Hota charger uses xt60 plug.
In order to use your original leads you could cut off the bullets and solder on an xt60 plug.
I do not enjoy soldering therefore I'm not very skilled at it. If I were in your shoes, I would try to resell your original charger including all accoutrements in order to get some return on the initial investment. I'd buy either Hota charger but the one from SMC has everything you need to get going as long as you specify upon ordering the specific plug you're using on your battery and esc. You obviously want the exact same plug as your esc on the end of the lead coming from the charger. One end will have xt60 (that plugs into the charger itself) and the other ec5.

The leads you have from your original charger are using bullet plugs. The SMC Hota charger uses xt60 plug.
In order to use your original leads you could cut off the bullets and solder on an xt60 plug.
I do not enjoy soldering therefore I'm not very skilled at it. If I were in your shoes, I would try to resell your original charger including all accoutrements in order to get some return on the initial investment. I'd buy either Hota charger but the one from SMC has everything you need to get going as long as you specify upon ordering the specific plug you're using on your battery and esc. You obviously want the exact same plug as your esc on the end of the lead coming from the charger. One end will have xt60 (that plugs into the charger noitself) and the other ec5.
When I get home I'll connect the battery, and see if the charger will allow me to bring it up to 8000mAh, instead of what I was seeing on the screen of 5000mAh. That's when I 1st got it a few days ago, and didn't know what I was doing. Not that I know what I'm doing now. But I'm a bit more familiar with the controls/settings, than I was that 1st day.

When I get home I'll connect the battery, and see if the charger will allow me to bring it up to 8000mAh, instead of what I was seeing on the screen of 5000mAh. That's when I 1st got it a few days ago, and didn't know what I was doing. Not that I know what I'm doing now. But I'm a bit more familiar with the controls/settings, than I was that 1st day.

Takes some getting used to especially when we don't have much experience with batteries and understanding battery chemistry and details. I remember it feeling daunting to me when I bought my first hobby charger. Experience has given me confidence but I still only know 10% of what I wish to know. Fortunately learning is what gives me the most happiness.
In my opinion, the charger you have currently is fine and seems good quality. And if you only plan to own a single battery and don't mind waiting for the charge you should be in good shape. I think your charger is best serving flight batteries for smaller planes and drones which mostly run on 2s or 3s under 2000mah lipos. I have a similar one that is still fine but it takes longer to charge our 6s packs. Nothing at all wrong with it, just takes longer. No reason we couldn't make a plan of when we want to go run the vehicle and charge the battery and keep it charged for 24 hours until it's time for the fun. I try not to keep batteries charged for longer than 36 hours or so in order to extend the life but things don't always work out this way for me.

+1?
I still have a 50W Traxxas charger that I use all the time. Learn to use this one before getting a new one. The limit is a setting that will have to learn on the next charger as well, might as well do it now unless you can sell it at a good price. Typically you take a hit selling.
Your charger is fine just slower, the next one will only be 1/3 faster at 150W.
Next lesson, for cars stay around the 5-6000 mAh range, main concern is weight.

Takes some getting used to especially when we don't have much experience with batteries and understanding battery chemistry and details. I remember it feeling daunting to me when I bought my first hobby charger. Experience has given me confidence but I still only know 10% of what I wish to know. Fortunately learning is what gives me the most happiness.
In my opinion, the charger you have currently is fine and seems good quality. And if you only plan to own a single battery and don't mind waiting for the charge you should be in good shape. I think your charger is best serving flight batteries for smaller planes and drones which mostly run on 2s or 3s under 2000mah lipos. I have a similar one that is still fine but it takes longer to charge our 6s packs. Nothing at all wrong with it, just takes longer. No reason we couldn't make a plan of when we want to go run the vehicle and charge the battery and keep it charged for 24 hours until it's time for the fun. I try not to keep batteries charged for longer than 36 hours or so in order to extend the life but things don't always work out this way for me.
I really appreciate your replying to me! You have no idea how much it means! I have no problem with charging it for as long as it takes. If the charger will in fact only go to 5000mAh, and no higher, what should I do? I'm hoping it will hold the 8.0 A

I really appreciate your replying to me! You have no idea how much it means! I have no problem with charging it for as long as it takes. If the charger will in fact only go to 5000mAh, and no higher, what should I do? I'm hoping it will hold the 8.0 A

It is my pleasure to be able to help.

The 5000 is just a default setting that can be changed. Your manual states 50000 max. Check pg 16 of the manual, default is 5000.
Change the safety time to 180min while you are at it

This is the fix!

The 5000 is just a default setting that can be changed. Your manual states 50000 max. Check pg 16 of the manual, default is 5000.
Change the safety time to 180min while you are at it
Thank you, i didn't know that. The reason I purchased the 8000mAh, 100c, battery is on the suggestion from a Youtuber that does a lot of YouTube videos, and mostly of the Kraton line. He said it would give me longer run times, and discharge slower, I just screenshoted this comment to me, so that I could go back and see it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back