Downgrading Spektrum ESC firmware possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevge

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
I wanted to set my BEC to 7.4V on my Spektrum 120A ESC, but the option was greyed out.
Apparently, they have removed the option to change it for "RTR servo compatibility" :rolleyes:
I have changed my servo, and it's more than capable of handling 7.4V, receiver as well.

Can I somehow downgrade the ESC firmware to a version that allowed BEC voltage change? Currently it's version 1.3

I have downloaded different versions of Spektrum USB Link:
  • V1.2 - doesn't recognize LCD program box or ESC
  • V.1.7 - 1.9 - these don't allow downgrading the firmware...

Just toss that Spektrum ESC and get a HW. don't get another Spektrum one, just because of this.
And Do you really need 7.4v for your Servo? The effort may not be of any real significance to Servo performance. Possibly Marginal at best.
It's your call.

You can downgrade the firmware if you have the Spektrum software on your computer and a Spektrum program box.. I'd advise against this though as it became a big issue with causing "brown outs" and killing rx's.. 🤔
I don't have the Spektrum RX in the truck, the one I have is good up to 8.4V, so it should be OK.

I have the program box and the software - I just can't find the right version of the software that allows me to downgrade the firmware - and this is the info I'm looking for.

I don't have the Spektrum RX in the truck, the one I have is good up to 8.4V, so it should be OK.

I have the program box and the software - I just can't find the right version of the software that allows me to downgrade the firmware - and this is the info I'm looking for.
@Jevge
Did you get this sorted out? I'm running V 1.1.0.0 from Dec 2023 and it does allow downgrading.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dem...ktrum-Firma-SmartLink-Update-Instructions.pdf

I did a bit of upgrading and downgrading trying to figure out why my programming box wouldn't talk to the ESC without a computer on the latest firmware. Then I realized that I could also use the Spektrum software to update the programming box's firmware. That finally got me to where I wanted to be, latest ESC firmware and also able to use the programming box to make changes in the field.

Back