Possible ESC Damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started up my MMX8S with my castle 1520, but didn't realize that solder between the tabs on the motor was connecting them. I plugged in the battery and the motor sparked, and I immediately unplugged the battery. I didn't give it any throttle, and have since tested the esc with another motor at low rpm. It fires up just fine, and seems to work, however I am wondering if I damaged anything. I just really don't want to start a fire!

Thanks!

I wouldn’t worry about a fire. Worst case the ESC burns up but that shouldn’t turn into a lipo fire. Smells terrible though so test it outside. And be ready to yank the lipo just in case.

Idle ESC motor amp draw is miniscule, correct the short and it'll be fine. What's the setup in, any pictures?

Just put one in an infraction, didn't realize the sr6100at has a unique program/calibration sequence.

IMG_0158.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry about a fire. Worst case the ESC burns up but that shouldn’t turn into a lipo fire. Smells terrible though so test it outside. And be ready to yank the lipo just in case.
Do you think it would burn up with more power through it? Like I mentioned before, I have tested it, just at low rpms, and everything seems to be working fine.

Do you think it would burn up with more power through it? Like I mentioned before, I have tested it, just at low rpms, and everything seems to be working fine.
I don't think your testing would work properly if you'd actually damaged the ESC. I made the same exact mistake long ago and the ESC behaved erratically immediately afterward.

But in either case, your only option at this point is to go use it right? Let 'er fly.

You should be fine.
You should have used Heat shrink tubing to guarantee NO dead shorts between the Motor's Phase wiring. Attention to detail is critical here. The tabs are quite close. Over soldering/ shorting the Motor phase tabs/terminals is a No No.
I think you got off easy this time. hopefully. :cool:
A dead short between the 2 ESC +/- mains leads would have been way catastrophic! This will surely brick the ESC is a heartbeat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back