Kraton Dual cooling fans for 40 mm motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDawg

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 8s
  3. Typhon Mega
I just snagged a CC 1520 motor and I'm wanting to do a dual cooling fan setup on that... is there a consensus on heat-sink and fans combination that works well?

Curious as to what most use.

Thanks!

I just snagged a CC 1520 motor and I'm wanting to do a dual cooling fan setup on that... is there a consensus on heat-sink and fans combination that works well?

Curious as to what most use.

Thanks!
I use either San ace 40s or avc 4028
Both powerful.
Mount wise. Powerhobby.

this has worked well for me...

Screenshot_20220820-152136_Amazon Shopping.jpg

they are the avc 4028 fan with just universal 40mm covers, I am running all 3 of a small 3s lipo

Since the 1520 has cooling fins don't use a heat sink as this will create pockets of air between heat sink and motor. Air is an insulator. Unless you go the extra step and fill all those pockets with thermal paste. But that's a bit of a messy proposition to my mind.

My personal setup is the Powerhobby fan mount which will hold two fans on one clamp and two NMB 40x40x28mm server fans that push 36CFM each. 65°C to 40°C in two minutes flat. Basically the same thing @Rcproponent is running.
1662513462636.png

@Rcproponent you could just connect your fans to one of your balance leads to nix the extra battery.

Last edited:
Since the 1520 has cooling fins don't use a heat sink as this will create pockets of air between heat sink and motor. Air is an insulator. Unless you go the extra step and fill all those pockets with thermal paste. But that's a bit of a messy proposition to my mind.

My personal setup is the Powerhobby fan mount which will hold two fans on one clamp and two NMB 40x40x28mm server fans that push 36CFM each. 65°C to 40°C in two minutes flat. Basically the same thing @Rcproponent is running.
View attachment 241892
@Rcproponent you could just connect your fans to one of your balance leads to nix the extra battery.
^ This is the way.

Adding on a fan mount/heatsink that covers the motor cans cooling fins essentially defeats the purpose of the cooling fins. Those kind of fan mounts/heatsinks are designed for smooth can motors. The can with cooling fins are designed to be the heatsinks themselves. For motor cans with cooling fins, the most reliable solution is blowing air directly across the motor, usually mounting the fan to the can (such as the powerhobby fan mount or similar). Adding a fan shroud to route cooling around the can could also help, but probably only necessary in the most extreme heat circumstances.

the only thing I dislike about my fan setup is the need for a external battery..

I have a very similar fan setup in my Talion that I just put on a Mojave chassis. Where do you like to store your battery at? I'm still trying to find the best solution.

I use these ARRAROWN fans from Amazon with a Power Hobby fan mount. They run off of the RX.

Fans.jpg

I use these ARRAROWN fans from Amazon with a Power Hobby fan mount. They run off of the RX.

View attachment 242028
They are all the same basic Rocket/Surpass/unbranded aluminum case fans just with different labeling. I've purchased some from amazon and also from aliexpress. recently got the ones from alipexress for like $7 per fan on a crazy sale. Just took several weeks to arrive.
Nicely done.
How do they hold up to big air jumps?
I run them in my 6s KEXB and one on my tekno mt410 and they have held up well to flips, jumps, and occasional crashes. Still spinning.

You guys continuously give me ideas to play with (edited post)

I went ahead and ordered a few to play with, if they work i'll definitely need some testers!

1662645159077.png

is there a market for this? (would allow you to run BIG loads off your pack directly with a fixed output voltage)

Last edited:
soooo: why arent we just buying buckboosters for wide input voltages with 12V/2A outputs?

View attachment 242058

is there a market for this? (would allow you to run BIG loads off your pack directly with a fixed output voltage)
I like the idea, but to me it just seems like extra clutter inside the car and kind of unnecessary as I can accomplish the same thing off the balance leads of one of my main battery packs with a simple adapter. I know balance leads are only rated for 2A but I run two fans with a combined amp draw of 3.5-4A off of one without issue. I have a 3-way switch located in my right rear wheel well for easy access that allows me to switch between 2S and 3S operation. This is more than enough for my needs as I just don't have any big load items at present and I don't see any coming up in the foreseeable future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back