Big Rock Early Christmas present I'm not allowed to use yet ☺️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So she's been out and bashed twice and wow I love this car , very stable in comparison to my Vorteks and feels quick and nimble in the same breathe . I'm really happy with it .
20221211_145030.jpg
20221211_150836.jpg
Also added some protection to the body today from a custom 3d printed company.
20221211_143833.jpg
20221211_185418.jpg
20221211_214138.jpg
20221211_214138.jpg
20221213_173424.jpg
20221213_173431.jpg
20221213_173436.jpg
20221213_173441.jpg
20221213_173650.jpg

20221211_202138.jpg

20221213_093830.jpg

Wow those skid plates look great! Are they TPU (flexible?) Ebay?

Happy belated birthday! As I was reading your thread, I was going to ask if you were going to break into that box before Christmas! Hell yes you did! Enjoy!

Yea get the Smart programmer, if you are all into the Smart Spektrum thing. A programmer for any specific brand ESC is the best way to set ESC Parameters.
I don't believe Spektrum really is up to date with their F/W's last I heard. Not much support anyway. Pretty much their F/W is locked to one revision. Don't quote me. Look into this if it matters much to you.
I have a Firma 150 here and will consider replacing it when the time comes. HW for me.

Longer wheelbase and wider track are two keys to stability. Probably a little heavier than the Vorteks as well which doesn't hurt the "planted" feel either.
Yeah really does seem to be helping alot . I'm considering replacing my Vorteks chassis so it feels like this one also .
I've already got the arms to go on anyways .
Wow those skid plates look great! Are they TPU (flexible?) Ebay?
Yes buddy I believe so , they do have some give to them not massive though .
And yes buddy eBay I can send you the link if you like .
Happy belated birthday! As I was reading your thread, I was going to ask if you were going to break into that box before Christmas! Hell yes you did! Enjoy!
Thanks buddy really enjoying it , one of my favourite RCs out the box for sure .
Yea get the Smart programmer, if you are all into the Smart Spektrum thing. A programmer for any specific brand ESC is the best way to set ESC Parameters.
I don't believe Spektrum really is up to date with their F/W's last I heard. Not much support anyway. Pretty much their F/W is locked to one revision. Don't quote me. Look into this if it matters much to you.
I have a Firma 150 here and will consider replacing it when the time comes. HW for me.
The funny thing is that it does seem to need a update , as it's the same as what I bought for my Frankenstein Vorteks Boost and the boost has more settings .
I think I'll pick up a programmer asap as I have two of the same ESCs now .

So update time guys and merry Christmas to you all my Arrma brothers and sisters.

I've done a few little upgrades to the big rock.

Metal pivot balls
Surpass Rocket motor fan
Rear dirt guards
Jetko Tomahawks MTs wheels and tyres
20221213_173424.jpg
20221213_173431.jpg
20221213_173436.jpg
20221213_173441.jpg
20221213_173650.jpg
20221215_182818.jpg
20221219_112223.jpg
20221219_123928.jpg
20221222_123838.jpg
20221222_215851.jpg
20221222_215851.jpg
20221221_192648.jpg

20221222_215856.jpg
20221222_215900.jpg
20221222_215903.jpg
20221222_215905.jpg

20221222_225028.jpg
20221222_225028.jpg
20221222_225035.jpg
20221222_225044.jpg
20221222_220149.jpg

It really has made a difference to the feel of the car no slop at all .

Attachments

• 20221222_225039.jpg
    20221222_225039.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 26
I'd imagine they'd fit a Vorteks after the Typhon arm mod, yeah? If so, please.
I cut all mine from .080 Kydex and they work great. Tin snips easily cut the Kydex and I use a Dremel flapper wheel to finish shaping.

F1A7A9DE-AA78-4772-A242-44868AADEEC0.png

So yesterday,, it's still raining heavy so decided to take apart the rock and service the diffs .
20221229_154958.jpg

20221229_160831.jpg
20221229_153447.jpg

Seems like I missed them on my first run checks that I normally do , typical Arrma looks like the assembly lines ng spat in them before sending it out .
So used 15k at front and 10k at rear .

Also postal guys came this morning with my servo upgrade.
Decided to get one of these JX Eco Boost cls6322HV that everyone's been talking about .
Let's see what there about
20221230_104415.jpg

So yesterday,, it's still raining heavy so decided to take apart the rock and service the diffs .
View attachment 265951

View attachment 265953View attachment 265952
Seems like I missed them on my first run checks that I normally do , typical Arrma looks like the assembly lines ng spat in them before sending it out .
So used 15k at front and 10k at rear .

Also postal guys came this morning with my servo upgrade.
Decided to get one of these JX Eco Boost cls6322HV that everyone's been talking about .
Let's see what there about

View attachment 265954
Hey man!

Nice to hear from you!! Well done on all those upgrades, they look so damn good!! Servo, pivot balls, dirt guards. I got some questions tho:

do the pivot balls fix the crappy wobbling that was there with the plastic ones? I wonder whether the plastic pivot balls got smaller or the rod ends hole got bigger. The wobbliness on my Vorteks is killing me.

Second question: how is the new servo? That looks like a super cheap solution, same from Savox is more like £80-90 and doesn't even work with the stock ESC cuz it wants 6Amp ;(

Third question: how are you doing, keeping up w the Tomahawk tires? I broke my rear input gear (in the diff) second time already and I think it was because these Tomahawks are too heavy. I had punch set to lvl 3-4, motor timing down to 15% and the car had an absolutely insane torque. We re talking standing backflips even on the rainly tarmac. But then 3-4 packs through and it broke the rear diff twice. Some extra info regarding this: both times this happened in relatively wet grass and batteries were running out in 5-6 min both times. Rear diff was 20k silicone, super tight like it should be and greased decently. I can only wonder what you do differently because it didnt break for you. One thing I noticed, like I said, weight is +400gr because of the super heavy JetKo Tomahawks 2.8"

Btw I bought full metal rear diff components. So metal yoke, metal crown and input gear so will be giving it a rip again soon to see if it holds up.

Also, how is your diff case white?

Hey man!

Nice to hear from you!! Well done on all those upgrades, they look so damn good!! Servo, pivot balls, dirt guards. I got some questions tho:

do the pivot balls fix the crappy wobbling that was there with the plastic ones? I wonder whether the plastic pivot balls got smaller or the rod ends hole got bigger. The wobbliness on my Vorteks is killing me.

Second question: how is the new servo? That looks like a super cheap solution, same from Savox is more like £80-90 and doesn't even work with the stock ESC cuz it wants 6Amp ;(

Third question: how are you doing, keeping up w the Tomahawk tires? I broke my rear input gear (in the diff) second time already and I think it was because these Tomahawks are too heavy. I had punch set to lvl 3-4, motor timing down to 15% and the car had an absolutely insane torque. We re talking standing backflips even on the rainly tarmac. But then 3-4 packs through and it broke the rear diff twice. Some extra info regarding this: both times this happened in relatively wet grass and batteries were running out in 5-6 min both times. Rear diff was 20k silicone, super tight like it should be and greased decently. I can only wonder what you do differently because it didnt break for you. One thing I noticed, like I said, weight is +400gr because of the super heavy JetKo Tomahawks 2.8"

Btw I bought full metal rear diff components. So metal yoke, metal crown and input gear so will be giving it a rip again soon to see if it holds up.

Also, how is your diff case white?
Hey buddy , long time no speak , sorry for the late reply . I've been busy over Christmas and working etc .
So yeah the pivot balls , there great they seem to have taken the wobbly feeling out of the truck alot , I've ran it a few times and it's a very positive thumbs up from me on them , so much so I've ordered another set for my Vorteks .
As for the Tomahawks yeah I got to agree with you they are heavy tires but having said that so far the cars seems to be ok with them , but I'm not going to hold my breath on them just yet still plenty of time to brake stuff hey .

Now one thing to mention here is I don't run the same motor as you so maybe I lack in torque hence why the car isn't eating itself input gears wise .

One thing mind I did do , well not me actually is that myself and my daughter went for a tarmac run a few days ago and she was using the Vorteks and I used the big rock , and she sent it full beans down a perfect flat part of the car park and straight in to the brcc and we ended up with a fatality , shame that arrma has used such shoddy aluminium on the motor mount , I noticed the brcc was making a funny noise and stopped it . Luckily it had not eaten the spur and I've now replaced it with a upgrade from https://customrcupgrades.com/product/arrma-3s-and-4s-motor-mount/

Really impressed with it as it's very strong made from 7075 aluminium and he's also counter sunk the motor screws .

I've also ordered a rear set of rpm arms to go with the fronts I have , I'm going to use them on the big rock , and the Vorteks now is set to be converted to a 3s Typhon , so I'll have the best of both worlds .

I'll do a build thread on that when I start getting all the parts together.

But my theroy is that the Vorteks becoming a Typhon and also owning a big rock I'll get two totally different feeling cars to run , plus it will also keep me busy in the process .
Hope your well buddy .
Chris
20230102_160115.jpg
20230105_133802.jpg
20230105_133808.jpg
20230105_133811.jpg
20230105_133815.jpg
20230105_151500.jpg
20230105_151937.jpg
20230105_151950.jpg
20230105_154229.jpg

Also side note really impressed with the JX eco Boost servo I purchased for the big rock it's superb . Very fast and strong .
Plus I've ordered a metal spur and slipper clutch assembly that should be here any time soon .

But my theroy is that the Vorteks becoming a Typhon and also owning a big rock
They are pretty similar actually, because both have the long wheelbase chassis and long arms. If you want different, turn it into a granite. That way you have a short wheel base and long wheelbase, two completely different critters. The vorteks already has a short wheelbase chassis. So all you need are granite towers and slap on a set of 6s shocks (mojave fronts up front and 6s Kraton fronts at the rear) and, if you want, long arms/tutnbuckles. Then you’ll have two cars with a completely different feel.

Was about to say, if you make the Vorteks long arma, thats the same as BR w shorter chassis. Because BR and Typhon are already sharing the arms.

Btw, what motor do you use in your Vorteks? Because I really want to math it out why this happens. Because its weird. The big tomahawk tires are heavy yes, but they wouldnt had traction or grass but blew the rear diff, then the louise rc mt mcrosa had too big traction and it thats why its blowing diffs. And this is a paradox for me.

Again, problem is I don't have goos place to rip so I can either fo grass or tarmac. Tarmac is not fun anymore ;/

Btw I suggest against the metal spur gear. Id rather leave that as the weakest part because thats the cheapest to replace. If a diff blows, thats a lot of work even a the composite housing+crow gear + input gear or if you buy it assembled its about £50-80. So while I actually got a metal spur gear, I don't use it

Was about to say, if you make the Vorteks long arma, thats the same as BR w shorter chassis. Because BR and Typhon are already sharing the arms.

Btw, what motor do you use in your Vorteks? Because I really want to math it out why this happens. Because its weird. The big tomahawk tires are heavy yes, but they wouldnt had traction or grass but blew the rear diff, then the louise rc mt mcrosa had too big traction and it thats why its blowing diffs. And this is a paradox for me.

Again, problem is I don't have goos place to rip so I can either fo grass or tarmac. Tarmac is not fun anymore ;/

Btw I suggest against the metal spur gear. Id rather leave that as the weakest part because thats the cheapest to replace. If a diff blows, thats a lot of work even a the composite housing+crow gear + input gear or if you buy it assembled its about £50-80. So while I actually got a metal spur gear, I don't use it
I like the surpass rocket 3665, 3100kv motor in my mostly stock vorteks. With heavy tires I’d run a 13-14t pinion and loosen the slipper slightly. Slipper pads can be sanded and are cheaper than diffs and driveshafts.

To totally stop the diff issues you need a metal diff yoke on the rear, shim the diff tighter and you’ll have to check it at least every month as it wears in. The front is fine with the stock diff yoke and servicing every couple months. Also top off the diff oil in both if you haven’t.

I’ve been trying minimal grease around the ring gear lately and it works better. Just smear some around the ring gear that’s it. When you service it, get all the compacted, old grease out from between the gear teeth before putting new on.

A metal spur is fine but not needed. The composites last a long time with good, solid mesh and a straight mount. I think it’s better to put money towards the rear diff if on a budget, like an Arrma cnc metal diff for the rear. Those are very nice. Be careful about adding to much weight also as it affects the cars handling.

You’ll need new turnbuckles with the arms. Traxxas 4x4 rustler and 4x4 slash turnbuckles work with the long arms and already have metal balls. They are a bit stronger also. My mostly stock vorteks has wide arms and it’s great.

I like the surpass rocket 3665, 3100kv motor in my mostly stock vorteks. With heavy tires I’d run a 13-14t pinion and loosen the slipper slightly. Slipper pads can be sanded and are cheaper than diffs and driveshafts.

To totally stop the diff issues you need a metal diff yoke on the rear, shim the diff tighter and you’ll have to check it at least every month as it wears in. The front is fine with the stock diff yoke and servicing every couple months. Also top off the diff oil in both if you haven’t.

I’ve been trying minimal grease around the ring gear lately and it works better. Just smear some around the ring gear that’s it. When you service it, get all the compacted, old grease out from between the gear teeth before putting new on.

A metal spur is fine but not needed. The composites last a long time with good, solid mesh and a straight mount. I think it’s better to put money towards the rear diff if on a budget, like an Arrma cnc metal diff for the rear. Those are very nice. Be careful about adding to much weight also as it affects the cars handling.

You’ll need new turnbuckles with the arms. Traxxas 4x4 rustler and 4x4 slash turnbuckles work with the long arms and already have metal balls. They are a bit stronger also. My mostly stock vorteks has wide arms and it’s great.
So much useful information!! Thanks. What do you think of the arrma 4s driveshafts? Or do the 6s driveshafts fit into Vorteks?
Also, is it this one?
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...heavy-duty-rear-driveshaft-assembly-1--436009

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...eavy-duty-front-driveshaft-assembly-1--436010

So much useful information!! Thanks. What do you think of the arrma 4s driveshafts? Or do the 6s driveshafts fit into Vorteks?
Also, is it this one?
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...heavy-duty-rear-driveshaft-assembly-1--436009

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/produc...eavy-duty-front-driveshaft-assembly-1--436010
Well…look these over. My custom 4s builds. Both are running the new 4s drive shafts among other parts. I have all sorts of fun with 3 and 4s parts,

I meant the rustler and slash turnbuckles, not driveshafts. Sorry if i was confusing.

Thread '4s Velo scratch build, LWB chassis (Old Yeller)'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/4s-velo-scratch-build-lwb-chassis-old-yeller.56168/

Thread '4s hybrid Vorteks…Thing (another Velo build)'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/4s-hybrid-vorteks…thing-another-velo-build.58380/

1FA617FF-A24C-4AC9-8A7F-45BB1B83185A.jpeg

381ED684-9FD9-41B6-B839-ADEA117A9039.jpeg

F542654B-3E07-4BE7-9E53-E8B70379C080.jpeg

CBA7916D-DF5C-44DF-A57F-DF27A38C73AE.jpeg

99126AE0-9060-41BD-A159-A441FCC358ED.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back