EC5 vs XT90 vs XT60: which is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
I did a quick search but came up dry.

What are your thought on each? I’m guessing each has its pros and cons, right?

TIA.

Xt60 is best suited for 1/10 scale 2wd and smaller applications. Now as far as ec5/IC5 VS Xt90 EC5 is easier solder but they are much harder to reuse VS Xt90s.

EC5/IC5 are comparable to XT90, I'd stick with the former if you're buying Horizon products, helps to keep batteries consolidated.

If you want something to handle serious amps like for serious speed running then QS8, but those are way overkill for general use.

I've been happy with EC5's because they are super easy to solder and match stock connectors.

According to that chart though, EC5's only carry up to 120A? Are EC5s only able to pull 120a to the esc? Seems that would make getting anything beyond a Max10 pointless if you run EC5s. Don't want to replace connectors to XT90, but if it truly makes a big performance difference, I suppose its worth it?

According to that chart though, EC5's only carry up to 120A? Are EC5s only able to pull 120a to the esc?
Connectors are rated on their ability to support a continuous current, most can burst much higher. Just bashing around, EC5 is plenty for the vast majority of vehicles.

I run IC5 on my DBXLE with zero issues. It came with them. And that’s a 40+ lb. rig. From what I understand, EC5 and IC5 are pretty much the same connector, minus the center conductor for the smart stuff.

Those ratings are for continuous current. If you were pulling 120a continously, on a 6000mah battery, that would drain the pack in 3 minutes. So unless you're pulling hard enough to drain 6000mah packs in 3 minutes, then EC5 is plenty. Xt90 isn't too far behind. Xt60 is for beginners and stock stuff.

Honestly if you were draining 6000mah in 3 minutes I'd be more worried about your motor and ESC temps than anything. As long as you have a good solder and the connectors are clean you should be just fine with xt90 or ec5. I run ec5 personally.

If you solder with silver you probably will run into problems with the EC5. The plastic just melts earlier and gets too soft for those temperatures. If you use SN60PB40 you will do fine with XT90 and EC5 / IC5. I prefer the XT90 as it has a protective cover (to clip) over the wires.
Always solder with plug and socket connected. Due to the heat the plastic does get warm and socket/plug may be scew if you solder without the counterpart. Make sure to use tape over the socket on the rear if you solder lipos or you will have a sparky surprise.

I prefer EC5 for everything right now, even with racing. CNHL makes LiHV 4S LiPo batteries with EC5 connectors and I'm going to switch over to that from 5mm bullet plugs as the bullet plugs are annoying and the batteries are stupid expensive.

If you solder with silver you probably will run into problems with the EC5. The plastic just melts earlier and gets too soft for those temperatures. If you use SN60PB40 you will do fine with XT90 and EC5 / IC5. I prefer the XT90 as it has a protective cover (to clip) over the wires.
Always solder with plug and socket connected. Due to the heat the plastic does get warm and socket/plug may be scew if you solder without the counterpart. Make sure to use tape over the socket on the rear if you solder lipos or you will have a sparky surprise.
I was considering using this method (with lead and Rosin core solder)

My soldering skills aren't all that great, so I normally use whatever connectors come from the factory. I use IC5/EC5 connectors for my three Arrma vehicles, and I use XT90 connectors with my two Corally vehicles came that came with XT90s installed at the factory.

EC5/IC5 are rated to 120 amps continuous. Some interweb testing I saw they were able to sustain 300 amp bursts for 10 seconds before heating up enough to melt the plastic. XT90 has the current rating in the name, 90 amps continuous with some claiming 150 amps burst. XT60 is 60 amp continuous. for the superior of the 3, EC5/IC5 hands down.

Just FYI, EC5 you solder the bullets outside of the housing and then insert them once soldering is done and the bullet has cooled. IC5 have the bullets preinstalled, I've not found the plastic to melt as easily, but maybe it's because I've soldered untold numbers of them...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back