Granite ESC Upgrade for my young son's Granite 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doolin64

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Infraction 4x4
A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a used Granite 4x4 for my son off of Craiglist. The truck was very clean and all stock. The price was right and I knew the electronics would be the biggest question. Its seems this truck goes into thermal shutdown after a few minutes of driving. We're running some new 2s lipos. When I charged the batteries, they weren't even close to empty. The esc wasn't really all that hot either. After a few minutes, turn it on and off and he could drive for another 5 minutes.

I'd like to get a new ESC for him to get this running right. I'd also like to not the break the bank on the upgrade. The speed is plenty fast for him with the stock esc and the stock brushed motor. If it ran right, I would have no reason to upgrade. I'm just not sure what to get him. My only experience with ESC's are Mamba Monsters on my old Savage flux and Velineon on my sons Traxxas Skully and my Rally.

Here are the choices I'm debating:
  1. Replace his ESC with the same stock ESC
  2. Replace with a BLX100 - can I tune down the speed for him until he get's better at driving?
  3. Hobbywing 1060
  4. Hobbywing 1080 (read a thread here where it was recommended, but isn't this a "crawler" esc only?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

My stock Mega 4x4 has this same issue when i use my lipo and put it in lipo mode via the jumpers on the esc by the on/off switch. i did some reading and I am gonna try running the lipo with the esc in NiMH mode with a voltage alarm hooked to my lipo so i don't mess it up. apparently this has solved the issue of seeing the blinking lights on esc after very little time being used. I still think I am going to see what i can do about it getting replaced considering its not something we should have to do in order to drive our trucks with something other than a NiMH battery. Either way i figured i would let you know this as a possible solution until you get another esc picked and purchased.

Would also add i have only had this truck a couple months and have used it a handful of times for now until weather gets better but have had the same issue any time i try to use my lipo. With the stock NiMH battery i get a full run out of the battery without any faulty thermal/ low voltage shut down

It's a known issue on the stock ESC. Do not replace it with the same one. It won't solve the problem. I know there are budget ESC's out there. GoolRC seems to be popular. Maybe you can find a BLX100 from one of the chop shops.

Thank you guys. I do have the ESC set to lipo mode. I forgot to mention that. Crazy its a known continual issue.

Well, I ordered the Hobbywing 1060. I would have preferred to stay with Arrma products, but for $24 shipped it was tough to pass up.

Ordered shock oil and shock rebuild kits as well. My son will be good to go for a while!

Good choice. I don't think a brushless ESC would work with the stock brushed motor.

Good choice. I don't think a brushless ESC would work with the stock brushed motor.

Came today, impressed by the outward quality. We'll see how it works.

A brushless esc definitely wouldnt work. I would have needed a new motor. Way more money than I was looking to spend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back